Cobra kai season 4 new trailer...Kyler is a BEAST now and Terry...

It's a several hundred dollar ferragamo belt not a "handcuff belt buckle."

I know but what I mean is, the handcuff design is a symbolism that Terry is still rich but may have taken a hit financially. My guess is that, he used all his dynatox money to buy land before he went out of business and got arrested. So now, he is still rich but not super crazy rich. I mean in karate kid 3, he was insanely rich. Way more wealthier than Daniel and Seth.

So now, he may just be in the same tax bracket as Daniel who is also doing well in life.

This show is for teenagers. Cringey as heck. Don't get how grown men watch it lol.

YOU GET THE HELL OUTA HERE!!!!

That being said, I have another opinion that people do not like and do not agree with but I have yet to hear a good rebuttal. My unpopular opinion is...Mike Barnes is better than Chozen BUT because Chozen fight was life and death, it seemed like chozen would be a greater threat. To me, Mike Barnes is like a high level professional fighter vs Chozen who is a local Karate champion and street thug. Mike Barnes is like Floyd Mayweather who is very good but chances are, you are not going to die if you fight Floyd. Meanwhile a gangster and a street thug is not as skilled but can kill you.

It seemed to me that KK3 era Barnes was probably better than KK2 era Chozen.

The heart of the show is Johnny and Kreese, which I didn't expect them to commit to going into it. No way when I heard about Cobra Kai did I think I would actually be seeing young Kreese in Vietnam two years later.

Daniel was interesting for a season. He hasn't been interesting since. The good moments between him and Johnny are based on Johnny. I don't really care about Daniel's marriage, car dealership or any of that. He's just a vehicle to keep the plot going for the most part. He has a few moments per season that make it worth the ride.

There are actually very few moments that really hit that were based on the Daniel character himself. I can only think of a few offhand...

- Kicking the bubble tea out of that dickhead car salesman's hand
- Telling Kreese to keep the Cobra Kais away from his kid after the fight with the glass
- When he was trying to fix Johnny's car for free without telling him the car was worth less than the repairs
- Contributed his 50% when he showed up at Johnny's house looking for his daughter and kicked the door

Pretty much everything else I can think of at the moment he was just there for something where the other character was the main reason I felt something. Occasionally contributing his 50% to it.

Ralph Manchio actin isn’t helping things either. I’d say he is the weakest actor of any adult on set.
This is true!

We as young people feel like we are going to go out there and conquer the world, make a name for ourselves and become someone who is special. But life tends to hand out a lot of ass whooping all around. Most of us end up not living the reality we envisioned as our younger selves.

I agree, Stingray is our goofy side but Johnny is what we get when we compare our fantasy with what we get in reality. He is way more likeable because as painful as it is to say, most of us are not going to be winners in life.

What makes Johnny the most realistic character is that unlike movie characters who have great aspiration, Johnny is living his life and yet in some ways living in the past. Most of us are guilty of this. We live in "what could have been" for most parts.

Regarding Rashad, I thought it was a younger version of him and he said he did Tang Soo Do and so I was like maybe it is him.

Well said. What you’re saying is really how’ve I’ve felt about this show from the start. It’s why Johnny is so likable, and I guess what makes me want to see stingray again. At the end of the day, I am not sure I even want Johnny story to have a resolution.

Ralph Manchio actin isn’t helping things either. I’d say he is the weakest actor of any adult on set.

He is topping out at serviceable for the most part with a few nice high water points.

Martin Kove is killing it and William Zabka seems to have gone to the JCVD school of becoming a good actor after 50.

Yeah Ralph is probably bringing up the rear but everyone else is doing a really good job.

I think he was in terms of tournament fighting as well as cardio conditioning. I am not sure if Mike Barnes has a job prior to karate kid 3. He may have been a sensei in his original dojo. I mean with Silver, he talks nice and polite as well as getting along with Snake and Dennis. So its possible that he has manners as oppose to being some raging asshole 24/7.

I think he was in terms of tournament fighting as well as cardio conditioning. I am not sure if Mike Barnes has a job prior to karate kid 3. He may have been a sensei in his original dojo. I mean with Silver, he talks nice and polite as well as getting along with Snake and Dennis. So its possible that he has manners as oppose to being some raging asshole 24/7.

The only concern I would have with Barnes is whether he can keep it together through adversity. He may have just mowed through lesser competition in all of these tournaments without really getting hit and having to slug it out. But there's no reason really to assume that.

Chozen seems better than Daniel for the most part but Daniel gave him a way tougher match than he gave Barnes.

Although getting confused by katas really isn't the greatest indicator of mental fortitude.

This show is for teenagers. Cringey as heck. Don't get how grown men watch it lol.

LOL it can't be for teenagers because the teen scenes are... f'ing terrible. They're a bad parody of good teen angst movies like Breakfast Club, etc. But I get your drift - my wife has (semi-reluctantly) watched the first 3 seasons with me but she thought the movies were forgettable so doesn't appreciate the references.

But if you liked the movies, the fan service is worth it and the Johnny and Kreese storylines are very well done.

Is it worth watching through season ? I got bored of it at the end season 1 or beginning of season 2.

Season one was a good nostalgia trip. Season two went full on pre-tween programming.

Peyton List though;
<JackieThumbsUp>

I think he was in terms of tournament fighting as well as cardio conditioning.

It's a given that Barnes was a more dangerous opponent (at least in a tournament setting), unless Daniel regressed between KK2 and KK3. Barnes even symbolically stuffs and clowns Daniel's crane kick and drum punch attempts prior to the KK3 tournament, the latter of which finished Chozen. I think they were implying that Daniel is a fully technically proficient black belt in KK2 but that his mastery of kata in KK3 represents his further growth and maturity as a martial artist.

But re. cardio and conditioning, I don't think anyone beats Chozen. The scene below is notable for both unintentional hilarity and being badass. No romo but Chozen is absolutely jacked and his pecs are obscene.

marked:

Last edited:
But re. cardio and conditioning, I don't think anyone beats Chozen. The scene below is notable for being both unintentionally hilarious and alpha badass. No romo but Chozen is absolutely jacked and his pecs are f'ing obscene.

marked:

Yuji Okumoto was definitely hitting the bench press but we can't really conclude that much about his cardio. I'm willing to assume it was good though.

Stuff like bringing back that line with a different twist is when Cobra Kai is really on point. They hit that stuff out of the park and then it's back to the high school crap.

LOL it can't be for teenagers because the teen scenes are... f'ing terrible. They're a bad parody of good teen angst movies like Breakfast Club, etc. But I get your drift - my wife has (semi-reluctantly) watched the first 3 seasons with me but she thought the movies were forgettable so doesn't appreciate the references.

But if you liked the movies, the fan service is worth it and the Johnny and Kreese storylines are very well done.

I just can't . I already have 2 annoying teens.

Well said. What you’re saying is really how’ve I’ve felt about this show from the start. It’s why Johnny is so likable, and I guess what makes me want to see stingray again. At the end of the day, I am not sure I even want Johnny story to have a resolution.

My favorite things with this series is Johnny's relationship with modern technology and Kyler talking like a 2000s teen gangsta which got me curios to know his age and to realize he is in his 30s.

I wonder if Joe Seo had a creative control of Kyler in regards to how teens act and he thought kids today say shit like "u da man dawg" or in the earlier season " yo fo shore"

The only concern I would have with Barnes is whether he can keep it together through adversity. He may have just mowed through lesser competition in all of these tournaments without really getting hit and having to slug it out. But there's no reason really to assume that.

Chozen seems better than Daniel for the most part but Daniel gave him a way tougher match than he gave Barnes.

Although getting confused by katas really isn't the greatest indicator of mental fortitude.

Barnes probably did fight crap competition but then again, who has Chozen fought? The thing is, Barnes competes regardless of the competition. Chozen was shown to be a thug with minions and people would not cross him because he was backed by Sato.

Regarding Chozens performance, in his defense, he was pretty fucked up mentality as well because he was disowned by his uncle. Him acting the way he did was probably very out of character for him even despite being a thug back then. That being said he was still a thug back in the day.

That being said, both Chozen and Mike have shown a more polite and tactful side to them whenever they interacted with other people. Chozen was polite and respectful to the American students in Sato dojo and Mike was pretty calm and respectful outside of dealing with Daniel.

It's a given that Barnes was a more dangerous opponent (at least in a tournament setting), unless Daniel regressed between KK2 and KK3. Barnes even symbolically stuffs and clowns Daniel's crane kick and drum punch attempts prior to the KK3 tournament, the latter of which finished Chozen. I think they were implying that Daniel is a fully technically proficient black belt in KK2 but that his mastery of kata in KK3 represents his further growth and maturity as a martial artist.

But re. cardio and conditioning, I don't think anyone beats Chozen. The scene below is notable for being both unintentionally hilarious and alpha badass. No romo but Chozen is absolutely jacked and his pecs are obscene.

marked:

Jacked is not a hallmark of cardio. Mike has a better physique when it comes to cardio. That and he competes and has to deal with the crowd. Chozen has too much power and an unfair advantage of social dynamics since he owns the territory. People are too scared to challenge him because they also fear Sato. Chozen also had minions but Mike (outside of Snake and Dennis ) was a lone wolf.

Handcuff belt buckle? Broseph, that’s a Faragamo belt. Lol.

You are correct. I thought maybe perhaps that belt had some symbolism in regards to him having served time and now his level of wealth has dropped. I mean the way Terry was living was next level to Daniel. He is too OP financially and could destroy Daniel. So I feel like they have to Nerf his financial status otherwise he would crush Dan money wise.

Also, sadly the actor that played Johnnies stepfather passed away. I wonder if as a final act of kindness and redemption, the character may have left him his inheritance?

Maybe deep down, he was proud that Johnny stole his statue to pay for Miguel's surgery.

Regarding Chozens performance, in his defense, he was pretty fucked up mentality as well because he was disowned by his uncle. Him acting the way he did was probably very out of character for him even despite being a thug back then. That being said he was still a thug back in the day.

Wasn't Chozen disowned for his cowardice during the windstorm? Chozen had mental weaknesses that were probably relevant to fighting. That said, he was ready to be killed in combat at the end, even when the choice was death or being left alone.

Jacked is not a hallmark of cardio. Mike has a better physique when it comes to cardio. That and he competes and has to deal with the crowd. Chozen has too much power and an unfair advantage of social dynamics since he owns the territory. People are too scared to challenge him because they also fear Sato. Chozen also had minions but Mike (outside of Snake and Dennis ) was a lone wolf.

Chozen is nowhere near big enough that it would be an impediment to endurance. I really couldn't say who would have better cardio between Chozen and Barnes without seeing them in action. If I were put to it, I would guess Chozen simply because there is more evidence that he is at least in good shape.

Asahhh!!!!

You see this!? You see this!!!!?

Assa Assa Assa!

Wasn't Chozen disowned for his cowardice during the windstorm? Chozen had mental weaknesses that were probably relevant to fighting. That said, he was ready to be killed in combat at the end, even when the choice was death or being left alone.

Chozen is nowhere near big enough that it would be an impediment to endurance. I really couldn't say who would have better cardio between Chozen and Barnes without seeing them in action. If I were put to it, I would guess Chozen simply because there is more evidence that he is at least in good shape.

Fair point on his cowardice. It was a moment of weakness and his actions in the end was an act of rebellion because he was disowned. I don't think in his heart of hearts, he wanted the death match but he did so out of deep hurt as oppose to being a schemer like my man Terry!

Regarding Mike and Chozen cardio. I disagree with you 100 percent!

Mike is beyond amazing shape in cardio. We see him training with Terry and Kreese during the build up of the tournament. The scene takes place after the dojo fight. You see Mike sparring with Dennis and he is jumping, dodging and swarming Dennis like a mad man. He was really impressive!

I give the cardio advantage to Mike all day long and its not even remotely close to Chozen who is much inferior than that animal Barnes. Also from technical standpoint, Mike likes to do two things, one he likes to swarm and overwhelm his opponents or he likes to taunt them and follow it up with a counter strike.

Sean Kanan who played Mike Barnes was a real Karateka.

Regarding Mike and Chozen cardio. I disagree with you 100 percent!

Mike is beyond amazing shape in cardio. We see him training with Terry and Kreese during the build up of the tournament. The scene takes place after the dojo fight. You see Mike sparring with Dennis and he is jumping, dodging and swarming Dennis like a mad man. He was really impressive!

I give the cardio advantage to Mike all day long and its not even remotely close to Chozen who is much inferior than that animal Barnes. Also from technical standpoint, Mike likes to do two things, one he likes to swarm and overwhelm his opponents or he likes to taunt them and follow it up with a counter strike.

Sean Kanan who played Mike Barnes was a real Karateka.

All we have to go on is what we see in the movies. Sean Kanan's real life background is something I left out, plus training karate in your personal life doesn't necessarily imply that much about cardio anyway.

Yeah we see Barnes training and he's up to the task. But it seems reasonable to assume that Chozen can train long enough to last for a few shots cut together in a movie. I'll give Barnes the advantage in that he is training specifically for something on a given day so probably ramping it up above whatever his normal life is. But that doesn't help the Barnes that walks in and meets Silver at the start.

As to Mike swarming opponents...that's probably more evidence of anaerobic for quick finishes before cardio comes into play very much (e.g. Vitor). As to taunting opponents and then counterstriking...does that really say anything about cardio?

So what about that hot delinquent slut, I think Tory. She's still there?

Sadly we know nothing of Barnes' background for comparison, outside of having been a teen U.S. national champ in karate and an alleged "bad boy." We don't know his home school or style or where he came from, family wealth, etc. All we know is he's good enough at karate to clown Daniel in a tournament setting and in impromptu brawls in bonsai shops (this after Daniel had a back-and-forth death match with Chozen the previous summer). But we can infer he's not a complete noob to privilege as Silver puts him up in a fancy hotel and provides a car and driver and a gang of lackeys and Barnes is not only unphased by that, he demands more.

But cardio capacity isn't a material differentiator among teen Daniel, Chozen and Barnes. We never see any of them gas and none of them are big or muscular enough for it to be a likely constraint anyway.

However, all considered if we had to rank them on physical conditioning/toughness (including cardio) as it pertains to karate, I gotta go with Chozen. Even though he's the rich kid (nephew of Sato, the richest dude in town), we're talking rural Okinawa pre-strip mall era as seen in Season 3. So blue collar farming village and Chozen works as a junior manager at a grocery store. He's also the top student of Miyagi Do/Sato Karate (implied to be the most effective karate style in the world) in the literal birthplace of karate. And in S3 we learn that he goes on to become the head sensei of Miyagi Do karate after Sato's death. In the present, he's the only person we've seen clown Daniel in karate, making him arguably the most skilled karate practitioner in Cobra Kai (although we haven't yet seen what present-day Silver and Barnes can do).

On top of that, the man is fucking crazy. In the garden fight scene in KK2, he gives Daniel the spear and invites him to attack, before disarming and beating his ass with his bare hands. After Sato disowns him, he runs into the raging typhoon that levels the entire village and after surviving that, somehow lives off the land alone in the destroyed landscape for days (weeks?) before challenging Daniel to a death match at the festival (when he's almost certainly dehydrated and depleted after that ordeal). Then after losing, he unironically asks to die rather than live as a loser.

So Chozen is twisted, but a hardcore tough as nails MF'er. No one outside of Miyagi (maybe Kreese and Silver in Vietnam) has endured the physical hardship Chozen is implied to in KK2. The bullying Daniel faces is trifling fancyboy stuff by comparison.

Last edited:
Back