Cobain was planning on moving Nirvana out of grunge and into experimental new wave

Didn’t they start as a Creedence Clearwater Revival cover band?

That’s the stuff I want to hear

You guys are crazy the unplugged album was their best album by far. Its probably in my top 10

I find this interesting. First off, this is a great interview and I've never seen it until tonight. He talks about how the stuff on the Incesticide album was Nirvana's original sound and how that stuff should've come out before the Bleach album. For those who don't know, Bleach came out first and it was almost all "rock" ish sounding stuff. The Incesticide album came out after Nevermind and it was bizarre, experimental, punkish sounding stuff and it's still some of my favorite Nirvana songs. He says that stuff was what Nirvana really was, but the label wanted that rock sounding stuff first, so they did the Bleach album first.

He also says grunge is boring for them. But it was easy and safe because it was popular, but they wanted to move away from the 3 chord progression songs and he wanted Nirvana to close the chapter on grunge entirely. He wanted Nirvana to move towards a new wave, experimental sound again. Can you imagine the possibilities if he hadn't died? I mean, if you're a fan and you're familiar with the tracks on Incesticide....that's the direction he wanted to go towards. Apparently songs like "Hairspray Queen" were what they used to play at college frat parties before the band blew up. Imagine that....that makes me lol :D I'll post Hairspray Queen below for those that aren't familiar with it. lol I just can't imagine somebody playing that at college frat parties.....around 1987 or 1988 no less! (to say they were ahead of their time doesn't do them justice)

Just imagine what more this band could've done if Kurt hadn't died. That weird, experimental, punkish, new wave sound was what Nirvana was moving towards. He says he wanted to take new wave and meld it with something...but he wasn't sure what to meld it with yet. I would've LOVED to have heard what could have been.

Some of this starts @ 15:10 but he talks about it a few times in this interview

Hairspray Queen. Imagine anybody playing this in 1988 at college frat parties <Eek2.0> That's what these crazy mf'ers did!<Lmaoo> Say what you will about Kurt...but he wasn't fake. He really was this weird.

EDIT: Oops....I was mixing up elements of 2 different interviews. THIS vid is where he talks about early days and playing Hairspray Queen at frat parties and how he thinks there should have been an album before Bleach. (my fault!)

Part of this starts @22:40 but he rambles so around 5 mins before this (5 mins give or take) is him talking about playing frat parties. It's funny he talks about playing at house parties and alienating everybody there and running everybody into other rooms to get away from the band :D

hm, pretty interesting. all i know is that aero zeppelin is their best song, in my opinion. the best drumming on any nirvana song ever, that's for sure:

You guys are crazy the unplugged album was their best album by far. Its probably in my top 10

it's the best unplugged mtv ever had. i'd still go with incesticide as their best album, though.

Back