Official Coaches and Trainers Discussion

I brought in a wing chun instructor to help my wrestler with his GnP and it went well. Nothing I’d want someone using on the feet, but on the ground from guard, KoB, side control, or mount sticky hands and hand trapping is pretty effective

I brought in a wing chun instructor to help my wrestler with his GnP and it went well. Nothing I’d want someone using on the feet, but on the ground from guard, KoB, side control, or mount sticky hands and hand trapping is pretty effective

I'm in the same FB group thread as you I think. Was this from the Dellegrotte Karate idea?

As bad as a rep wing chun has, there is something beneficial in every martial art. Im not MMA so what you mentioned never crossed my mind, but now that you have said it, I think its a great idea. I have always thought some of the wing chun hand trapping sticky hands stuff could be carried over to the clinch in MT for hand traps to elbows for example, but I have never met anyone in my life that does wing chun, let alone a high level wing chun guy. Anyways good idea, if you can, pick the guys brain for the MT clinch as well, and of course, let me know lol

I'm in the same FB group thread as you I think. Was this from the Dellegrotte Karate idea?
Bingo
As bad as a rep wing chun has, there is something beneficial in every martial art. Im not MMA so what you mentioned never crossed my mind, but now that you have said it, I think its a great idea. I have always thought some of the wing chun hand trapping sticky hands stuff could be carried over to the clinch in MT for hand traps to elbows for example, but I have never met anyone in my life that does wing chun, let alone a high level wing chun guy. Anyways good idea, if you can, pick the guys brain for the MT clinch as well, and of course, let me know lol
I think there’s applications there, but you have to find a wing chun guy who won’t dismiss the clinch outright. They need to learn, play and feel the clinch first I think. This guy was convinced you could
Just body punch your way out of the clinch. I was polite about it though since he was genuine about helping out.

Bingo

I think there’s applications there, but you have to find a wing chun guy who won’t dismiss the clinch outright. They need to learn, play and feel the clinch first I think. This guy was convinced you could
Just body punch your way out of the clinch. I was polite about it though since he was genuine about helping out.

thats too bad, you dont know what you dont know right. but not willing to learn what you dont know is another thing.

Went 3-3 last weekend. A couple amateurs I helped with a little bit, but more importantly I had a guy win his bellator fight in a decisive way, snapping his two fight lose streak. I did the research and came up with the game plan for his opponent. Worked with our guy on his boxing and kick boxing. I coached his sparring, worked with his other striking coach and grappling coach, and overall had a heavy thumb print on this entire camp.

My guy stuck to the game plan perfectly, and his opponent acted just the way that I predicted. We ended up getting a submission late in the first. I’ll post more in the Facebook group along with a video of the fight

Went 3-3 last weekend. A couple amateurs I helped with a little bit, but more importantly I had a guy win his bellator fight in a decisive way, snapping his two fight lose streak. I did the research and came up with the game plan for his opponent. Worked with our guy on his boxing and kick boxing. I coached his sparring, worked with his other striking coach and grappling coach, and overall had a heavy thumb print on this entire camp.

My guy stuck to the game plan perfectly, and his opponent acted just the way that I predicted. We ended up getting a submission late in the first. I’ll post more in the Facebook group along with a video of the fight
Who is your bellator fighter?

Great news dude. A coach that is willing to put in the time and effort into his fighter, such as you have mentioned here is a huge difference in guys being successful or not. Something I think is rare to find. Too many guys are just getting chucked in there without being thoroughly prepared. And it sounds like you went the extra mile. Its hard enough to get a coach willing to put in the time, let alone research the competition. For the majority of the fights, I was studying my opponents and coming up with a game plan myself. Basically doing a "good" coaches job

A quick update from Nolan Bros Boxing:

Had a very good run in the Marciano Tournament this year. Saturday we capped it off going 3-0 with 2 stoppages on our way to 3 belts. Our 178 lb male beat Olympian Jason Estrada's son Lennox in the semi-finals in an excellent bout. 7-2 in the tourney and I believe our gym produced the highest number of champions in New England for the tournament, but I can't say for sure.

Dope. Hey just putting this out there but next month the two Norwegians will be here. Alex Martinssen is the Scandinavian Champion now, and Hagen will be here as well. Also the Chilean National Champion at Cruiserweight is coming here to prepare for Tokyo, and the Haitian National Cruiserweight Champ already trains here and often spars with my heavyweight. We got contacted by Ahmed Elbiali's trainer for sparring, and Caleb Plant is part of that crew.

So basically this is a planet-aligning period for anyone Super Middleweight (or big Middleweight) and higher. Y'all are invited to bring anyone out if you like.

Hey doctor taco. Ricky Simon came to my gym a couple weeks ago and I asked him about you. He said he doesn’t train with you personally but you coach a lot of the ammys and a lot of fighters seem to like to train with you. Idk what the point was but yeah lol

Hey doctor taco. Ricky Simon came to my gym a couple weeks ago and I asked him about you. He said he doesn’t train with you personally but you coach a lot of the ammys and a lot of fighters seem to like to train with you. Idk what the point was but yeah lol
sounds about right. I’m one of the amateur mma coaches and work with a small Handful of pros one on one. I offer Ricky advice when he spars but usually end up coaching against him during his rounds. Nice kid, I like him a lot. The way the gym works is that everyone is under Fabiano as our mma and jiu jitsu head coach, and then there’s a few striking coaches that the guys sort of pick between based on their history with them and what style works best for them

Got a kid Fighting for the KOTC featherweight title tonight. I Might puke. Will update later.

opponent is the first guy who’s a better wrestler we’ve had to contend with.

Got a kid Fighting for the KOTC featherweight title tonight. I Might puke. Will update later.

opponent is the first guy who’s a better wrestler we’ve had to contend with.
Hope your lad kicks arse. Does he wrestle much or rely on counter wrestling and striking?

Hope your lad kicks arse. Does he wrestle much or rely on counter wrestling and striking?
hes usually the offensive wrestler. His striking isn’t that great but his jits and wrestling is so I’d still like the fight to end up on the ground. He’s been boxing with the team at the boxing gym I work at and looking better, but I’m still nervous

Lost. Fuck me. Tko in the Second. Good back-and-forth, questionable in early stoppage. We had our hands full though and it was a really good fight. Exhausted now and will write more about it later

My flyweight is a state champ wrestler and he was 3-0. KOTC offered to let him fight the same opponent we already agreed to but now it’s for a title. The kid we we’re fighting was a better wrestler but we had the edge on striking and jits and we’re going to come in ready for a 5 rounder.

my guy gets hit early with an OHR and the gets hesitant. Game plan disappears and he goes back to wrestling mode. Gets a TD and they have some good back and forth on the ground but my dude is eating absolute hammers while trying to get subs and sweeps and flat refuses to try and stand back up where things were going well enough for us. A couple close submission attempts but nothing concrete. Lose the first but make it through. Second round is more of the same and while my guy is on bottom fishing for an ankle lock and getting hit the ref steps in and calls it. My guy wasn’t defending himself but that’s because he was too busy attacking. Frustrating night to say the least.

Sounds kind of like Rumble vs Cormier II. Rumble just determined to wrestle, leads to the downfall.

Back