Coach yelling instruction while rolling , a benefit or not to you?

VTJas81 said:
I noticed when ppl try to give me advice while I roll it makes me perform worst. I try to listen to what they say but then it makes me lose focus. It also tires me out because I forget about pacing myself. How about you, helps or no help?

I suggest you learn to do it. It will make you a better competitor.

Also, if you are getting tired because you are doing what the coach tells you to do, than you 1) are obviously doing something, not just sitting there. 2) not in good enough shape.

Here is the thing, I actually went out and got contact lenses after the US Open last year because I could not see what my instructor was trying to tell me. He was motioning for me to push with both hands on the shoulder in a specific way...all I saw was a blur, and his frantic Portu-English mix. There was a lot of 'Porra! Porra!'.

Being the most experienced competitor at my school besides the instructor people beg me to come to competitions. There are a lot of reasons. First of all, it isn't rare to have 2 of our guys fighting at the same time. Having that extra person there helps. It helps to have someone watching the ref so you don't get fucked at the very least.

One guy actually paid my entrance fee to compete in a competition I wasn't interested in. His reason? He can't understand the instructor sometimes, and listens to my voice.

That is a trait of a good competitor. Being able to listen and still perform. Coachability. I remember the first couple of tournaments I ever did. I heard nothing and saw nothing. Tunnel vision. Now I hear my coach, my opponents coach, I look over to check the time and points of a match, etc. It isn't neccessarily about being 'focused', its about being totally aware of what is going on around you.

I have dragged my opponent over to my coach so I could hear him more clearly in my match. I have stopped to ask my coach questions during matches. But when I show up to compete I'm in it to win it. And I will use every resource to my advantage.

Stoic1 is 100% correct. There are several factors that help you compete at your maximum potential. Being totally aware of the situation you are in is at the top of the list. Physical preparation and mental preparation are both super important, but they will only take you as far as your eyes will let you go...if that makes any sense to you. Put it this way, if you can hear what your coach is saying and execute it immediately, you are using your body with your instructor vision and foresight. You may not have enough mat time to recognize when opportunities present themselves...your instructor does...let him lead you. The best way to practice this is to ask him to practice coaching you while you spar, preferably with someone alot better than you. This will let you practice this is a neutral settling against a friendly opponent as well as helping to relax you and build your confidence.

Then you would especially hate it when i am coaching you and you ignore me. So I just say fuck it, you suck asswipe - then start helping the other guy.

I kid you not, I did this at the last GQ. My guy was not listening AT ALL. I was like GOD DAMMIT JASON, YOU ARE FUCKING UP! QUIT DOING THAT! YOU ARE LOSING! OH CHRIST - WHY NOT JUST LET THE GUY PUT YOU IN A TRIANGLE? HEY WHATSYOURNAME, TAKE HIS ARM!

Needless to say the double inverted reverse psychology began to work.

Stoic1 said:
Then you would especially hate it when i am coaching you and you ignore me. So I just say fuck it, you suck asswipe - then start helping the other guy.

I kid you not, I did this at the last GQ. My guy was not listening AT ALL. I was like GOD DAMMIT JASON, YOU ARE FUCKING UP! QUIT DOING THAT! YOU ARE LOSING! OH CHRIST - WHY NOT JUST LET THE GUY PUT YOU IN A TRIANGLE? HEY WHATSYOURNAME, TAKE HIS ARM!

Needless to say the double inverted reverse psychology began to work.
^^^Beautiful

Sounds like something I would do.

Always helps me during class, never competed so I can't really comment on that. Also helped that Rickson tended to give instructions in a very calm, encouraging way.

i learn a lot from it, but sometimes the instructor sees something that we cant do and he seems to think we can, but then the other guy knows what you are about to do and he adjusts for it

I find yelling encouragement is alot more beneficial for me than yelling instruction. In my first tournament that helped me out alot. I had the kid in a guillotine and I was really squeezing hard on it and the kid was not tapping. It was obviously hurting him because he was gurgling, but not tapping. Hearing my coach say "He's hurtin' Joe, hold on!" really helped because I was so tired and I needed that pus to hold on until he tapped. Also, other stuff like "You got this", "It's yours" or even yelling the score can be helpful. I think yelling instruction is kindof helpful, but not really. I mean if you can hear what your coach is telling you to do, so can your opponent, so he can just defend it that much easier if he knows its coming.

If it wasnt for my coaches yelling crap at me, I can honestly say I would have never won one match.

It's helpful with it's GOOD advice. I love it when you go to tournaments and you see some coach shouting, "Pass the guard!" a hundred times, meanwhile the kid is thinking, "how?" Of course he's trying to pass!
When I roll/compete, my instructor is very specific on his advice, down to each movement. "Bring your right knee up, hold his left knee, etc." That's what I find helpful.

guardpasser said:
it helps, but it is frustrating when you cant get what he is telling you to work

+1

They see the angle I don't to get the move to work, by the time I figure it out, so has my opponent. :mad:

Back