Coach Izzy fired from a top 5 nationally ranked H.S. for assaulting highschooler

I was "assaulted" by a coach back in my football days.

I fucked up a play in practice and he hit me so hard in the head he broke my helmet. I didn't think twice about it, I mean, I fucked up the play.
Wow. Must of been an experience having the incredible Hulk as your coach huh kiddo?

Wow. Must of been an experience having the incredible Hulk as your coach huh kiddo?

It was 1978 and I was ten. Helmets for kids were pretty cheap back then, it was one of three that cracked while I was wearing it.

Yeah, the shit is intense. Your job was even more violent than my old one. Maybe in part because these were teens, and while some had mothers who ised while pregnant... and an occasional person with a Developmental Disability, they were old enough to mostly know better - most of them had problems with anger and some trauma, of course, but part of the problem was also that it was normalized. Even the police would often brush off assaults like, "Well, that's why they're here."
Sometimes they'd arrest kids and release them on the spot. The kids got the message that it was okay to fuck people up, and didn't realize that when you do that as an adult, or on the streets, you can get hurt or arrested.
Definitely a tricky situation, but even a stern talking to would have probably helped, somewhat.
I was a therapist, so that helped, I got a long well with most of them, and I probably came off as a bit of an X-factor so it probably kept me out of trouble.
I witnessed a lot of violence as a kid, and I didn't realize it was going tobtrigger me to work there, but it did. Eventually, I was breaking up fights and melees once I had built relationships with some of the kids. Even got choked up when I left.
The movie Short Term 12 is about the place I worked (except I worked in level 14, so more severe)
Props to you for seeking that out, lord knows those kids could use help and guidance.

That experience left a big impression on me.

I hate to joke about it, but there were some comical aspects.

I was on hallway supervision one day and the front doorbell rings, which was odd... i look and there is a kid, maybe 7-8 year old (from my class) holding a rock so big he can barely hold it up.

“Whatcha doing with the rock?”
“I’m gonna smash Kevin’s head”
“... put it down.”

Another time 2 kids ran away during recess. The cops brought them back in literally 30 minutes, lunch wasn’t even over yet.
They had gone to the nearest store and got caught shoplifting. They didn’t make it half an hour outside before getting caught by cops.

I didn’t even want the job and was completely unqualified for it but they couldn’t find anyone who would stay.
I was the third teacher for that class that year when I took over. The first quit around the holidays, they had subs, then hired another full time teacher who came in, went on lunch and never came back. I was supposed to be a sub but they couldn’t get a f/t teacher so they put me on payroll for the rest of the year.

I had a hard time not “taking it home with me”. I don’t know how people stay in a job like that. I definitely wouldn’t want to deal with that day in and day out for years.

Those “kids” are 22-32 now. Damn.
I hope a few of them made it out ok.

It was 1978 and I was ten. Helmets for kids were pretty cheap back then, it was one of three that cracked while I was wearing it.
Well now I actually believe U. But it probably wouldnt be considered any type of assult even if u went to all the medias back in those time, would it?

Well now I actually believe U. But it probably wouldnt be considered any type of assult even if u went to all the medias back in those time, would it?

Doubt it. He smacked me on the side of the helmet and it cracked on the seam. I barely felt it.

My mom said the nuns at her catholic school used to hit kids hands with rulers (the meter long kind) and throw (chalkboard) erasers at them.

Also people behaved pretty well and didn’t talk out of turn.

People were much more polite back when parent and teachers beat them.

Up until like the 60s or 70s corporal punishment was used to discipline kids at school (the cane). Wasn’t just some catholic school thing although you can bet those old catholic nuns were real pieces of work.

When I was in high school (1994) my football coach raged at me for not picking up a blitz in practice...he grabbed my facemask and pulled my helmet off my head...told me to run laps and when I turned to start running
When I was in high school (1994) my football coach raged at me for not picking up a blitz in practice...he grabbed my facemask and pulled my helmet off my head...told me to run laps and when I turned to start running he threw my helmet at me and it hit me in the back of the head damn near KOing me.

I got up, put my helmet on and ran my fuqqin laps.
You're a sucker if you think that's ok

I wasn't a man, tough guy...just a kid with respect for his leader.

I was raised by a military man, raised to respect authority and if you joined any sort of team, youd better be ready to run through a wall for your leader (coach) and accept the discipline handed out when you fail to break said wall.
Bootlicker

Props to you for seeking that out, lord knows those kids could use help and guidance.

That experience left a big impression on me.

I hate to joke about it, but there were some comical aspects.

I was on hallway supervision one day and the front doorbell rings, which was odd... i look and there is a kid, maybe 7-8 year old (from my class) holding a rock so big he can barely hold it up.

“Whatcha doing with the rock?”
“I’m gonna smash Kevin’s head”
“... put it down.”

Another time 2 kids ran away during recess. The cops brought them back in literally 30 minutes, lunch wasn’t even over yet.
They had gone to the nearest store and got caught shoplifting. They didn’t make it half an hour outside before getting caught by cops.

I didn’t even want the job and was completely unqualified for it but they couldn’t find anyone who would stay.
I was the third teacher for that class that year when I took over. The first quit around the holidays, they had subs, then hired another full time teacher who came in, went on lunch and never came back. I was supposed to be a sub but they couldn’t get a f/t teacher so they put me on payroll for the rest of the year.

I had a hard time not “taking it home with me”. I don’t know how people stay in a job like that. I definitely wouldn’t want to deal with that day in and day out for years.

Those “kids” are 22-32 now. Damn.
I hope a few of them made it out ok.
Yeah, you end up finding humor in the stuff, even in some of the rough moments. I think that's part of human nature - even in drama or sadness, sometimes there's humor. We had lots of stuff that made us laugh. Plus sometimes we naturally get desensitized after a lot of exposure to most things, I think.
It definitely is hard to not take home. The line staff often seemed desensitized, but maybe they were also masochistic in a lot of cases, so it was whatever if they got attacked. Sometimes even all of them were stressed out. One thing's for sure... it makes difficult characters feel much easier to deal with when all you have to worry about is them being rude.

In a twisted way, I kind of got hooked on the drama. Then I left to work with adults on probation, and they were much more laid back - and the worst things were a guy hallucinating and trying to grab the steering wheel, and two guys yelling at each other and calming down on their own. That's what I was told by a 4 year vet. I worked there for 7 weeks (I was lucky enough to have my first week be the one when they found out their contract wasn't being renewed) and in that time had to stop fights from happening between men and women. The staff were saying "This stuff NEVER happens here! You brought your bad juju."
I was able to see the bullshit coming and diffuse it before it got out of hand, after all of the drama with the kids, though.

Last edited:
I was "assaulted" by a coach back in my football days.

I fucked up a play in practice and he hit me so hard in the head he broke my helmet. I didn't think twice about it, I mean, I fucked up the play.
My football coach used to call me Pecker( pun on my last name ), would slap the shit outta my helmet and kicked me so hard in the ass /asscrack one time , he literally put up his foot up /in my ass. It sucked. But shrug ...it was football. I needed it . I was a dumbass. Lousy player who didn’t listen.

Back