CNN - Trump could learn a thing or two from Star Wars

stellarborg

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
(CNN)Fifty years after "Star Trek" launched a multiracial and multicultural crew into outer space, the "Star Wars" franchise has finally joined the diversity universe. "Rogue One," the latest film set in a galaxy far, far away, boasts a wildly varied cast of human actors -- Asian, Hispanic, African-American, Pakistani.

And in this fraught political moment, such refreshing diversity comes across as a rebuke to President-elect Donald Trump's campaign.

The heroes of the film, nearly all members of the Rebel Alliance attempting to steal the plans of the Empire's ominous Death Star, include a Mexican (Diego Luna), Puerto Rican (Smits), Englishwoman (Felicity Jones), African-American (Forest Whitaker), Dane (Mads Mikkelsen), two Chinese men (Wen Jiang and Donnie Yen) and a Pakistani Muslim (Riz Ahmed).

As if to heighten the contrast, the leaders of the Empire -- who include a brilliant CGI rendering of actor Peter Cushing, who died in 1994 and appeared in the original "Star Wars" -- are all preening Caucasian imperialists.

A diverse group of people really can work together to produce a better society. If nothing else, that's a key subtext in "Rogue One," in which the character's differences are not only put aside, they're barely mentioned.

If Donald Trump has embraced the Dark Side, "Rogue One" is definitely on the side of The Force.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/16/opinions/rogue-one-diversity-in-a-trump-era-beale/index.html

aw-trump-star-wars-rogue-one-v2.jpg

rogue-one.jpg

Last edited:
Journalism, ladies and gentlemen.

What Trump needs to do is keeping winning. What society needs to do is purge leftists from all political, social, and media influence. There is no room for bolshevik progressive scum in a Free America.

What TS doesn't get is that the progressives are the Dark Side - they are the ones promoting censorship, intimidation, divide and conquer strategies, and exploiting people's fears.

Trump is actually Yoda, in this case. Deal with it.

"Refreshing diversity" - lol

what the fuck does that even mean? If seeing people of different races makes you happy, aren't you kind of like idiots who want to only see white people? In the sense that you just care about skin color and nothing else?

(CNN)Fifty years after "Star Trek" launched a multiracial and multicultural crew into outer space, the "Star Wars" franchise has finally joined the diversity universe. "Rogue One," the latest film set in a galaxy far, far away, boasts a wildly varied cast of human actors -- Asian, Hispanic, African-American, Pakistani.

And in this fraught political moment, such refreshing diversity comes across as a rebuke to President-elect Donald Trump's campaign.

The heroes of the film, nearly all members of the Rebel Alliance attempting to steal the plans of the Empire's ominous Death Star, include a Mexican (Diego Luna), Puerto Rican (Smits), Englishwoman (Felicity Jones), African-American (Forest Whitaker), Dane (Mads Mikkelsen), two Chinese men (Wen Jiang and Donnie Yen) and a Pakistani Muslim (Riz Ahmed).

As if to heighten the contrast, the leaders of the Empire -- who include a brilliant CGI rendering of actor Peter Cushing, who died in 1994 and appeared in the original "Star Wars" -- are all preening Caucasian imperialists.

A diverse group of people really can work together to produce a better society. If nothing else, that's a key subtext in "Rogue One," in which the character's differences are not only put aside, they're barely mentioned.

If Donald Trump has embraced the Dark Side, "Rogue One" is definitely on the side of The Force.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/16/opinions/rogue-one-diversity-in-a-trump-era-beale/index.html

rogue-one.jpg

cliffs: "Hire based solely on race" - CNN or KKK?

A story of perseverance in defying all the odds. Overcoming an entity that had much more power, money and resources -- and despite all the projections claiming certain defeat, the ability to persevere through and win as an underdog....

Looks like Rogue One learned some things from the Story of the President Elect.

oh the old liberal diversity shtick.

of course diversity of skin color and sexual orientation, NEVER diversity of opinion.

Enforced diversity on penalty of boycotts and condemnation by the MSM isn't a victory. A well written and we'll acted story stands on its own and speaks to everyone regardless of the skin color of the person on the screen.

rogue-one.jpg
Disagree. If he learned something from Rogue One it would be not how to suck. What a completely average film this was. I would say it almost fucking sucked if it weren't for Lord Vader's parts. zZzz One.

Trump > Star Wars

CNN is just falling deeper and deeper into the abyss. Broke bum network.

This is such blatant advertising.
I wonder how much Disney paid CNN to plug their film.

>"Star Wars" franchise has finally joined the diversity universe

e9a863482463c368863d63261f0c5fcad065009b1f468152d998659202e6f604.jpg

fucking darth vader is voiced by a black guy

Dear President Trump,

Don't listen to the leftists. Just pick the best people for the job.

Sincerely,

ripskater

The fetish for "diversity" is reaching nauseating new heights. It's like liberals need to talk about the "racial dynamics" in everything. When I'm watching a basketball game, and all five players on the court for one team are black, I don't think to myself, "It'd be nice to have a white guy and Oriental in there..." These whiners are so pretentious.

i am using the literal meaning of "literally", when i say star was has literally, used one of the most diverse cast of characters out of ANY big budget franchise

for the entire series, there are random ass races of aliens that all live amongst each other

i feel like diversity is codeword for anti-white males

hem-dazon-at-mos-eisley-cantina.jpg

mos-eisley-1-600x393.jpg

The fetish for "diversity" is reaching nauseating new heights. It's like liberals need to talk about the "racial dynamics" in everything. When I'm watching a basketball game, and all five players on the court for one team are black, I don't think to myself, "It'd be nice to have a white guy and Oriental in there..." These whiners are so pretentious.
Exactly. I don't want a League of Nations, I want the best players on the floor.

The old films had plenty of diversity. Blue, red, green, furry people. CNN doesn't seem to be open-minded enough to alien races.

oh the old liberal diversity shtick.

of course diversity of skin color and sexual orientation, NEVER diversity of opinion.

This post nails it.

Anyway...I thought these movies took place "in a galaxy far far away"

What the hell is all of this talk about Chinese men, an Englishwoman, and a Mexican if this is in another galaxy?

Is there some plot twist that one of the planets is Earth or something? (like that lame Will / Jaden Smith movie)

Back