CNN does a story about how Michel Pereira became a star in defeat

Yea a huge underdog won among the other 5 points I made regarding why its a story. Your right though the guy who put all his effort into gymnastics and break dancing instead of fighting and lost because of it is a good story too I guess.
Both are non stories but

Many underdogs win every day across all sports, he wasn’t a 40-1 underdog, it was like 3.5 ish which happens almost every event

misses weight.
fails back flip at ceremonial weigh ins.
black flips during fight and gasses out.
loses to a fighter who took the match on short notice, and is clearly at least a weight class apart.

yeah this guys a fuckin star

The better story is Connolys, a guy who was once 5-5, turned his career around in his 30's, got the call to fight in the big show on 5 days notice, in his hometown, was a heavy underdog, fought at a higher weightclass against a much bigger opponent that missed weight.....and he broke him. And took home 100K for his performance. That was the story the reporter should have told, not the one about some dancing idiot who cant make weight, clearly losses to a smaller fighter then him, then protests the judges decision.

This.

Kind of fucked up that Connelly isn't the focus of the attention when he's the one who showed the fuck up and delivered.

Who cares about gymnastics in MMA. Pereira got his ass beat. Badly.

@Harry Ellis I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.

She said:
  • The 25-year-old Brazilian fighter put on a wild show during his fight against 33-year-old Canadian native Connelly, with a performance that featured backflips, superman punches, and flying knees.
  • Pereira's stunts just barely stopped short of full-on breakdancing and looked more like a gymnastics routine than an MMA fight.
  • The people watching couldn't get enough.
  • But all those acrobatics caught up to Pereira, and he seemed to run out of energy by the end. Connelly walked away the champion in a unanimous decision.
  • The theatrics weren't for nothing, though. The faceoff between Pereira and Connelly was crowned Fight of the Night.
Other than "champion", what, exactly, did she do that was wrong? Was it simply that she's writing to, as you say, "the masses", and that the masses enjoying Pereira's antics are as offensive to you as dingers are to hard core baseball fans?
The whole point of my thread was that this was the story that was chosen instead of Connelly's story. And I deduced that the journalist must have seen the same 90 second HL video that I saw but not the fight itself.

He did some crazy stuff in the first round then got his ass beat. Yeah it was all cool looking but basically ineffective and inefficient

I thought he was gonna fly out of the cage with a flying knee at one point, would have been a less embarrassing result for him honestly

@Harry Ellis I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.

She said:
  • The 25-year-old Brazilian fighter put on a wild show during his fight against 33-year-old Canadian native Connelly, with a performance that featured backflips, superman punches, and flying knees.
  • Pereira's stunts just barely stopped short of full-on breakdancing and looked more like a gymnastics routine than an MMA fight.
  • The people watching couldn't get enough.
  • But all those acrobatics caught up to Pereira, and he seemed to run out of energy by the end. Connelly walked away the champion in a unanimous decision.
  • The theatrics weren't for nothing, though. The faceoff between Pereira and Connelly was crowned Fight of the Night.
Other than "champion", what, exactly, did she do that was wrong? Was it simply that she's writing to, as you say, "the masses", and that the masses enjoying Pereira's antics are as offensive to you as dingers are to hard core baseball fans?

"Michel Pereira may have lost to Tristan Connelly at UFC Fight Night in Vancouver on Saturday night, but he certainly won the crowd -- and the internet."

No, he did not win the crowd, or the Internet. He was a laughing stock! My friend even saw Pereira at the airport the next day and texted me a picture, to which we both replied "Lol!"

IMG-7529.jpg

I was there that night.. my 5th UFC event in Vancouver, and first time for my son and my brother. They LOVED Pereira’s antics and I was just enjoying it a lot. I had remarked that Boondocks looked very small and outsized in the beginning, and they agreed. It was just an awesome fight, I went back forth rooting for both fighters. After the fight my son said “yellow shorts” was the highlight of the night. We can all agree Boondocks did amazing and got a well deserved debut win- but truth is Pereira made it FOTN and gave Boondocks $100k on a platter.

I’ll be following both guys now and on, had no clue about either guy.

Man CNN is such trash they couldn't even accurately report on something as trivial and easy to cover as this.

The whole point of my thread was that this was the story that was chosen instead of Connelly's story. And I deduced that the journalist must have seen the same 90 second HL video that I saw but not the fight itself.
Ahhh. That wasn't obvious to me. Thanks for clarifying. Yes, Connelly should have been the story.

However, here is the flip side to this: when I was replaying the fight for my friends later at a poker game, I didn't replay the fight because of Connelly. Everyone else agreed that a guy half the size who stayed stoic and won was indeed awesome. But still, I showed everyone the fight because of the first 3 minutes. And that got them interested in seeing the next 12.

Yes, my friends are not even casuals; they barely put up with me showing replays.

~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: let me put it a different way. The story should be Connelly in the same way that Casey Kenney beating Manny Bermudez should have been about Kenney. But of the 4 fighters, only Pereira's antics were enough to get onto CNN. And for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
I mean I feel like the bigger story was the fact that Connolly came off 5 days notice looking a weightclass under against a exciting prospect he was supposed to be a highlight reel against, and with all the cards stacked against him....the guy goes out and does it!
Motherfucker brought his lunch box

Numovement fails again.

I am not what you'd call a "CNN guy," but I check in here and there to see what they're pushing. I went on their website and came across this story on Michel Pereira.

This is an article written by Harmeet Kaur. Dont know who he is, but even if he's barely a fan and was assigned to cover a story from the fight, he got it wrong. It seems like he was shown a short video of Michel's acrobatics in round 1 (which the crowd did appreciate, to be fair), and then wrote a story about it. He did write that Connelly walked away as "champion," so maybe he's not a fan at all. Regardless, this is a botch.

Look at that first paragraph about how he won over the crowd lol.

There's no way this journalist watched this fight. There's no way someone watches that fight and decides to write this story instead of the Connelly story (unless, of course, it was a calculated move that they figured might hurt Trump in some way.)

The mainstream masses with no mma interest would definitely be intrigued by someone doing backflips in a UFC fight- even I am intrigued by it.

Having said that, the mainstream masses would be even more intrigued by one of the best general underdog stories and UFC debuts ever. Furthermore, the crowd was rocking for the hometown hero. He "brought the house down," as they say.
4722709-c8a.gif

I am not what you'd call a "CNN guy," but I check in here and there to see what they're pushing. I went on their website and came across this story on Michel Pereira.

This is an article written by Harmeet Kaur. Dont know who he is, but even if he's barely a fan and was assigned to cover a story from the fight, he got it wrong. It seems like he was shown a short video of Michel's acrobatics in round 1 (which the crowd did appreciate, to be fair), and then wrote a story about it. He did write that Connelly walked away as "champion," so maybe he's not a fan at all. Regardless, this is a botch.

Look at that first paragraph about how he won over the crowd lol.

There's no way this journalist watched this fight. There's no way someone watches that fight and decides to write this story instead of the Connelly story (unless, of course, it was a calculated move that they figured might hurt Trump in some way.)

The mainstream masses with no mma interest would definitely be intrigued by someone doing backflips in a UFC fight- even I am intrigued by it.

Having said that, the mainstream masses would be even more intrigued by one of the best general underdog stories and UFC debuts ever. Furthermore, the crowd was rocking for the hometown hero. He "brought the house down," as they say.
No Harry Ellis you’re wrong. That was the only fight my uncle rewound for me to watch. He may not be a star in your eyes but you made a thread about him and CNN wrote an article on him. He’s doing something right (just not fighting)

No Harry Ellis you’re wrong. That was the only fight my uncle rewound for me to watch. He may not be a star in your eyes but you made a thread about him and CNN wrote an article on him. He’s doing something right (just not fighting)
No. You're wrong.

I am a big Pereira fan. I love all of his flashy horseshit even more than you do. No need to rush to his defense because this wasn't about him.

This is about a journalist who was assigned to cover the UFC event, and decided to write about backflips because he/she had not watched the fight. Even if he/she did watch the fight, it's egregious journalism to choose to write THAT story instead of the story of a regional fighter bringing the house down in his UFC debut on 5 days' notice against a guy who looked much, much bigger and had garnered some decent hype.

The general point of my thread: this hack didn't watch the fight and is now pretending to have done so.

yeah cnn never speaks on mma related shit pretty much ppl r gonna cry cuz they don’t like perreria but this is big exposure
CNN gets worse ratings than 'Nick at night' here in America, they're a laughing stock that nobody takes seriously. Not sure how much "exposure" this will provide.

Back