CNN does a story about how Michel Pereira became a star in defeat

I am not what you'd call a "CNN guy," but I check in here and there to see what they're pushing. I went on their website and came across this story on Michel Pereira.

This is an article written by Harmeet Kaur. Dont know who he is, but even if he's barely a fan and was assigned to cover a story from the fight, he got it wrong. It seems like he was shown a short video of Michel's acrobatics in round 1 (which the crowd did appreciate, to be fair), and then wrote a story about it. He did write that Connelly walked away as "champion," so maybe he's not a fan at all. Regardless, this is a botch.

Look at that first paragraph about how he won over the crowd lol.

There's no way this journalist watched this fight. There's no way someone watches that fight and decides to write this story (unless, of course, it was a calculated move that they figured might hurt Trump in some way.)

The mainstream masses with no mma interest would definitely be intrigued by someone doing backflips in a UFC fight- even I am intrigued by it.

Having said that, the mainstream masses would be even more intrigued by one of the best general underdog stories and UFC debuts ever. Furthermore, the crowd was rocking for the hometown hero. He "brought the house down," as they say.
yeah, I don't see it that way at all. I feel like the takeaway from that fight is that Michel Pereira may very well be an absolute idiot.

Idc, I thought it was funny as hell watching that shit. I know he lost and gassed and ultimately it was because of all his unnecessary antics, but at the end of the day it was entertaining as hell. The whole room roared when he did some of his flying whatever shit, its entertainment. He's 1-1 in the UFC (with a awesome KO and a decision loss) and has 30+ pro fights, he knows what he's doing and he's just trying to gain some fans.

Would you rather see a guy do back flips and dance in the cage to gain fans OR see a guy with a MAGA hat saying he hates Brazilians and acting like an asshole to gain fans?

But winning fights gains you more fans, instead of doing those excessive antics he does. He actually can do both if he balanced it out a bit and did it in moderation. The guy just has to fight smarter and not waste so much energy even before the fight even started. It's just silly to do stuff like that and end up losing because your gassed out.

The better story is Connolys, a guy who was once 5-5, turned his career around in his 30's, got the call to fight in the big show on 5 days notice, in his hometown, was a heavy underdog, fought at a higher weightclass against a much bigger opponent that missed weight.....and he broke him. And took home 100K for his performance. That was the story the reporter should have told, not the one about some dancing idiot who cant make weight, clearly losses to a smaller fighter then him, then protests the judges decision.
Lol what ? An underdog won ? That’s a story ? You ok mate ? Lol

Without the flips there is no story, it’s just another fight

EEd9yDdUUAA8Ha7.jpg

Would have been hilarious if he landed this and then got DQ'd for a kick/knee to a downed opponent.

Lol what ? An underdog won ? That’s a story ? You ok mate ? Lol

Without the flips there is no story, it’s just another fight
Yea a huge underdog won among the other 5 points I made regarding why its a story. Your right though the guy who put all his effort into gymnastics and break dancing instead of fighting and lost because of it is a good story too I guess.

Harmeet kaur is actually a girl's name and if you check the bio you can see It's a woman.

It's quite amazing, a guy who only fought twice in the UFC(and in the prelims) is getting so much attention. If any of you havn't seen the fight, watch it on some stream. The crowd was going crazy when he was doing somersaults and back-flips. At the end of the fight a lot of the crowd was on their feet. I'm sure that was not just because of the LW who won it on 5 days notice.
Of course the idiot just tired himself out but people absolutely love that kind of WWE acrobat stuff.
Seriously can anybody remember the weigh in's? Only Priera missing weight and almost falling on his backside doing a backflip.
You think the crowd was cheering the dancing idiot, and not the hometown fighter who beat him up?

Never heard of him

That Tristan kid had a cracking fight on the weekend tho!

I was in the crowd. No one was cheering for Priera at the end. Everyone was cheering for the local guy who took the fight on short notice.

Idc, I thought it was funny as hell watching that shit. I know he lost and gassed and ultimately it was because of all his unnecessary antics, but at the end of the day it was entertaining as hell. The whole room roared when he did some of his flying whatever shit, its entertainment. He's 1-1 in the UFC (with a awesome KO and a decision loss) and has 30+ pro fights, he knows what he's doing and he's just trying to gain some fans.

Would you rather see a guy do back flips and dance in the cage to gain fans OR see a guy with a MAGA hat saying he hates Brazilians and acting like an asshole to gain fans?
True

lol ... You allow CNN into your life
I know it's fake news bullshit. Anybody who read my post would probably know where I stand. I explained why I was there. But I'm glad you got two likes- and counting.

Thanks for sparing my time. Very good post closure question.

Fox News is so much worse.
Fox is garbage too. I won't deny that. Still though, in my opinion, CNN is the one that is much worse. When 5 or 6 individuals/families control all the mainstream media outlets there is an issue.

@Harry Ellis I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.

She said:
  • The 25-year-old Brazilian fighter put on a wild show during his fight against 33-year-old Canadian native Connelly, with a performance that featured backflips, superman punches, and flying knees.
  • Pereira's stunts just barely stopped short of full-on breakdancing and looked more like a gymnastics routine than an MMA fight.
  • The people watching couldn't get enough.
  • But all those acrobatics caught up to Pereira, and he seemed to run out of energy by the end. Connelly walked away the champion in a unanimous decision.
  • The theatrics weren't for nothing, though. The faceoff between Pereira and Connelly was crowned Fight of the Night.
Other than "champion", what, exactly, did she do that was wrong? Was it simply that she's writing to, as you say, "the masses", and that the masses enjoying Pereira's antics are as offensive to you as dingers are to hard core baseball fans?

I laughed when the smaller guy beat him, gasssing hard in the first round because he did flips was even funnier.

Back