CNN does a story about how Michel Pereira became a star in defeat

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Harry Ellis, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Harry Ellis

Harry Ellis Gold Belt

I am not what you'd call a "CNN guy," but I check in here and there to see what they're pushing. I went on their website and came across this story on Michel Pereira.

This is an article written by Harmeet Kaur. Dont know who he is, but even if he's barely a fan and was assigned to cover a story from the fight, he got it wrong. It seems like he was shown a short video of Michel's acrobatics in round 1 (which the crowd did appreciate, to be fair), and then wrote a story about it. He did write that Connelly walked away as "champion," so maybe he's not a fan at all. Regardless, this is a botch.

Look at that first paragraph about how he won over the crowd lol.
    There's no way this journalist watched this fight. There's no way someone watches that fight and decides to write this story instead of the Connelly story (unless, of course, it was a calculated move that they figured might hurt Trump in some way.)

The mainstream masses with no mma interest would definitely be intrigued by someone doing backflips in a UFC fight- even I am intrigued by it.

Having said that, the mainstream masses would be even more intrigued by one of the best general underdog stories and UFC debuts ever. Furthermore, the crowd was rocking for the hometown hero. He "brought the house down," as they say.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  2. Blayt7hh

Blayt7hh Steel Belt

He did some crazy stuff in the first round then got his ass beat. Yeah it was all cool looking but basically ineffective and inefficient

3. Paulsp

Paulsp Brown Belt

yeah cnn never speaks on mma related shit pretty much ppl r gonna cry cuz they don’t like perreria but this is big exposure

4. TheJohnnyWalkerEra

TheJohnnyWalkerEra Purple Belt

His flying knees and jumps off the cage were cool because they were actually offensive attacks

Doing a gymnastics floor routine while your opponent stands across the cage waiting for you to finish = stupid

5. Guy LeDouche

Guy LeDouche Purple Belt

I mean I feel like the bigger story was the fact that Connolly came off 5 days notice looking a weightclass under against a exciting prospect he was supposed to be a highlight reel against, and with all the cards stacked against him....the guy goes out and does it!

6. IGotAHugePeckah

IGotAHugePeckah Black Belt

He did some crazy shit, gassed himself out and lost to a non-UFC LW who took the fight on 5-days notice... and he lost out on a 50k bonus. I don't think he became a star at all, he looked like a retard.

7. Sweater of AV

Sweater of AV Red Belt

And there it is. I'm curious to see what this turns into...

8. Kenny Powerth

Kenny Powerth Jean Belt (Jelt)

Idc, I thought it was funny as hell watching that shit. I know he lost and gassed and ultimately it was because of all his unnecessary antics, but at the end of the day it was entertaining as hell. The whole room roared when he did some of his flying whatever shit, its entertainment. He's 1-1 in the UFC (with a awesome KO and a decision loss) and has 30+ pro fights, he knows what he's doing and he's just trying to gain some fans.

Would you rather see a guy do back flips and dance in the cage to gain fans OR see a guy with a MAGA hat saying he hates Brazilians and acting like an asshole to gain fans?

9. mxothespade

mxothespade White Belt

If it's from CNN and you question the validity then the jokes on you. The single largest piece of garbage and propaganda "news".

10. UncleChester

UncleChester White Belt

CNN...more fake news!

Chlamydia, DragRacer, Erratic and 6 others like this.
  11. BRaVo cHoKe

BRaVo cHoKe Brown Belt

I'm all for the theatrics and acrobatics but they mean zero if you lose and show little heart in the process.

I also liked hearing about how Connelly works at EA and teaches the staff BJJ. He's gonna have maxed out stats in the next UFC game.

12. MixMartialFarts

MixMartialFarts Butters Belt

The better story is Connolys, a guy who was once 5-5, turned his career around in his 30's, got the call to fight in the big show on 5 days notice, in his hometown, was a heavy underdog, fought at a higher weightclass against a much bigger opponent that missed weight.....and he broke him. And took home 100K for his performance. That was the story the reporter should have told, not the one about some dancing idiot who cant make weight, clearly losses to a smaller fighter then him, then protests the judges decision.

13. Mahkor

Mahkor Drunkmaster Flex

That shit was awesome, of course is gonna make headlines, shame that he gassed.

jhawk likes this.
  14. mxothespade

mxothespade White Belt

CNN thrives thanks to Smith-Mundt.

Chlamydia and jhawk like this.
  15. thehighking

thehighking Black Belt

Yes! That was awesome to see him deal with a much bigger and stronger opponent. Great underdog story, Connolly made a lot of fans with that performance

Chlamydia and Erratic like this.
  16. Pouncer ez

Pouncer ez White Belt

95% of the roster could go in there and backflip like a moron. You don't see fighters doing this shit for a reason. The dude accomplished nothing with his offence and got beat buy LW on 5 days notice.

luckystarr, Erratic, qw3rty and 8 others like this.
  17. HI SCOTT NEWMAN

HI SCOTT NEWMAN Steel Belt Cat ✔

I thought the fight was horrific, that garbage wouldn't get on the dark bouts on King of the Cage events. Embarrassing watching it, and he was gassed upon his entrance into the octagon, he was already breathing hard just before Buffer started to announce them. Circus stuff

He has been beat by many random cans because he was doing kartwheels and chimp jumps and then was gassed to death after a few minutes on the smaller MMA shows.

qw3rty and Silent Liker like this.
  18. Dragonslayer82

Dragonslayer82 Orange Belt

It's quite amazing, a guy who only fought twice in the UFC(and in the prelims) is getting so much attention. If any of you havn't seen the fight, watch it on some stream. The crowd was going crazy when he was doing somersaults and back-flips. At the end of the fight a lot of the crowd was on their feet. I'm sure that was not just because of the LW who won it on 5 days notice.
    Of course the idiot just tired himself out but people absolutely love that kind of WWE acrobat stuff.
    Seriously can anybody remember the weigh in's? Only Priera missing weight and almost falling on his backside doing a backflip.

Post 2 Decision likes this.
  19. Emjay

Emjay And again and again and again and ag.. zzzzzzzz

lol ... You allow CNN into your life

Chlamydia, DragRacer, Erratic and 8 others like this.
  20. mime

mime Black Belt

the dude is 23-10 with most those losses coming in smaller organizations,basically hes been a journeyman in the brazil regional circuit. i mean if they want to make a belt for flashiness maybe he can compete for that, Flashiest mutha F-er belt, points awarded to creativity not damage, so basically a dance battle