CM Punk's Elite Training Partners Announced

He chose the best camp for him. Pettis for striking, and Askren for wrestling. Brooks doesn't have much time to waste due to his age. But at he needs at least one year to get a fight. Realistically, he needs about three to five years. But he's too old.

I hope they humble him a bit. Most people have this skewed perception of fighting. No one thinks they can out hoop Kobe or a professional ball player, however, fighting is apparently anyone with a blue belt can do. I've trane Lumpinee and sparred some fighters, they were going easy on me and I still got toyed with. So even if you "hang" with some fighters in training, it's because they're working on shit and not really trying. Ask Bisping, how dominating Rockhold in training did him good in a fight?

It sure made Chael Sonnen one.

Exactly, people throw steroids left and right out here, but guess what was the whole TRT era was, it was guys who had juiced too much

gw3Id9WveVqmVZqE.gif

Haha, how is a fake wrestler an athlete?

His old career is performing live physical stunts for 15+ minute periods 4 or more times a week in front of a live audience. This feat is so difficult that pro NFL players have gassed out attempting this. Punk in particular has a fast-paced style, and is more athletic than most of the WWE roster.

Some people are just being trolls at this point. Punk could walk in the cage today, with no preparation, and go 3 rounds just fine. Gas tank is not going to be an issue for him. His strength and conditioning are all very high as well.

With all of the shit that Askren talked about Punk, that outta be awkward!

And seriously people, years? We're talking about an elite-level pro athlete with years of previous martial arts experience. All that's lacking is the experience and full devotion of his time.

Not sure if serious.

"He's now picked a training camp. I'm pretty sure he's going to be training with Anthony Pettis the 155-pound champion and his team," Dana White said, "We're going to see how he progresses in training, then we'll go from there."

In other words, if he doesn't prove himself, he doesn't get a fight.

I'm su.re punk will learn fast. He isn't here to win a title. He's here to win a few easy fights and gain new fan base, Period.

Prediction: CM Punk retires from MMA with a win/loss record of 0-0.

i could see this or him getting pushed into a mid-main card slot within 4-6 months against a fighter of jason thacker's caliber and retiring soon after getting a UFC win.

If he's fighting another opponent who's 0-0 he could figt in 6 weeks. But it's going to be an ugly bonner/griffon fight. Not that there's anything wrong with that to be honest.

Punk is probably Askren's best foot-in-the-door to get into the UFC if Punk looks passable in his first fight and doesn't embarass himself or the UFC in it.

Askren will be training Punk at Roufus Sport I believe - isn't he the wrestling coach there? It's a ballsy move by Punk in that Askren will really put him through the wringer, but as long as Ben keeps it professional, Punk will be more prepared for his eventual debut for it.

I expect Punk will get an apartment in Milwaukee and live there when his wife is out on the road, and will only commute from Chicago and the 90 minute drive when she's home the 2-3 days a week.

Umm, Ben Askren trains at Roufusport and he's said plenty of bad things about CM Punk's signing.

Am I the only one around here that neither knows or cares about CM punk fighting in the UFC?

Punk is probably Askren's best foot-in-the-door to get into the UFC if Punk looks passable in his first fight and doesn't embarass himself or the UFC in it.

Askren will be training Punk at Roufus Sport I believe - isn't he the wrestling coach there? It's a ballsy move by Punk in that Askren will really put him through the wringer, but as long as Ben keeps it professional, Punk will be more prepared for his eventual debut for it.

I expect Punk will get an apartment in Milwaukee and live there when his wife is out on the road, and will only commute from Chicago and the 90 minute drive when she's home the 2-3 days a week.

Askren already said he problem was with Dana. What Askren said does make sense as well, it was about someone with no experience getting in and him not being able to get it. He also said he had no problem with training Punk.

Askren is indeed the wrestling coach. Askren is a very good coach for beginners and highly experienced.

Last edited:
For someone with absolutely zero experience i'll go with 3-4 years if you train all the fucking time.

Yes fighters have training camps to get in shape and hopefully get better... but they do already know how to fight.

Also just like any sport you can learn it and train all the fuckin time but for every one who is successful theres thousands that don't. Not many people tryin to get into MMA with what they pay so maybe you have a better shot, but still.

If you train almost every day, MAYBE you can get a purple belt in 2-3 years.

Joking aside, it's a great choice. Duke's camp has produced some really young UFC-caliber guys, which is a sign it can get a guy ready in limited time. I know Brooks has some casual BJJ experience, and assuming he's in good physical condition and is durable/stays injury-free, he can learn a lot in 8 - 16 months of training.

This whole notion that you have to train for ten years in the "new" UFC is bunk anyway. Fighting is still 90% natural talent, which is why guys like Jon Jones and Pettis can be champs so young, and why some guys can barely train and still be top-10 fighters.

You're more right than most people will admit. Elite competitors are largely born, not made. Either Punk is in that mold or he isn't.

Not sure if serious.

People seem abnormally shocked by this. Do Sherdoggers think that he had a stunt double or something for all of his matches? You'd think Sakuraba and Lesnar would've proven this level of conditioning by now to ALL skeptics, but I've been wrong before.

Apparently a fighter isn't an official "athlete" unless they competed in a college sport in addition to their schoolwork, instead of jumping into their initial profession of choice. Oh well. People will learn.

Back