CM Punk will do much better than people expect

Believe it or not it will matter.

Mind plays a huge factor, and when you are mentally strong, it applies to everything, not only to one specific thing.

So, yes of course he will probably even cry after some training sessions, but he will not quit and he will continue training very hard.

Being tough does not mean you don't feel pain, it means you feel a lot of pain but you keep going forward.

CM, is that you? How do you KNOW all of these things about him?

Ha, my autocorrect switched CM to Can. For once, thanks autocorrect.

I've got nothing against the guy for joining the UFC, but I still hope and believe he will get completely annihilated in his first match. Even if the guy he faces is 0-0 he will most likely have years of experience training and a decent record as an amateur. That's more than we can or ever will say about CM Punk. But tbh I just want him to lose because I hate pro wrestling with a passion.

There's plenty of guys who've trained for years who would get clobbered by your average NHL hockey tough guy. There's different levels of athletes in this world, and if you think a lot of these guys who train could do what CM Punk does, at his level, then you're nuts. No need to hate wrestling, it's entertainment with athletes as the actors.

There's plenty of guys who've trained for years who would get clobbered by your average NHL hockey tough guy. There's different levels of athletes in this world, and if you think a lot of these guys who train could do what CM Punk does, at his level, then you're nuts. No need to hate wrestling, it's entertainment with athletes as the actors.

An average hockey tough guy is going to beat someone who's trained MMA for years in an MMA fight?

Hmm, not sure I agree with you.

And I'm paying my hard earned money to watch an amateur fight? That's absurd. Make it a prelim fight or fight night fight, fine, whatever. But I do not want to pay to see an amateur fight on a UFC event. This is absolutely unbelievable to me.

And who is telling you to pay for it? Dana? LOL

How do you know he doesn't like to fight? I know very little about the guy so I am just wondering.

I remember him saying he didn't like guys going hard at him in the gym doing BJJ, that's why he ended up liking the Gracies who have a whole 'keep it playful' philosophy.

Now, it's reasonable that as a WWE performer he wouldn't want to get injured doing a side hobby because of some overzealous BJJ spaz. But he never struck me as a guy who would make sure it didn't happen again. Like if some guy tried to go hard on Hector Lombard, Hector Lombard would make sure that wouldn't happen again. Weidman has said he doesn't like to lose at anything. CM Punk just doesn't seem to be one of those guys. Even in wrestling he never got to headline Wrestlemania because he didn't force the issue. He just took a back seat and then during parting with WWE complained about it.

I remember him saying he didn't like guys going hard at him in the gym doing BJJ, that's why he ended up liking the Gracies who have a whole 'keep it playful' philosophy.

Now, it's reasonable that as a WWE performer he wouldn't want to get injured doing a side hobby because of some overzealous BJJ spaz. But he never struck me as a guy who would make sure it didn't happen again. Like if some guy tried to go hard on Hector Lombard, Hector Lombard would make sure that wouldn't happen again. Weidman has said he doesn't like to lose at anything. CM Punk just doesn't seem to be one of those guys. Even in wrestling he never got to headline Wrestlemania because he didn't force the issue. He just took a back seat and then during parting with WWE complained about it.

Wow I am clueless I thought he was the biggest names next to brock in the wwe.

And who is telling you to pay for it? Dana? LOL

Well, I could boycott an entire card cause this amateur is fighting on it, or I could buy it because there's other fights I want to see and feel a little ripped off cause there's one garbage, low skilled fight on it.

I'd prefer that if they're serious about putting an amateur fight on in the UFC, they make it free, that's all.

An average hockey tough guy is going to beat someone who's trained MMA for years in an MMA fight?

Hmm, not sure I agree with you.

Not really. I'm just saying being a great athlete in pro wrestling, football, or hockey is a good start if preparing to be an MMA fighter. It's not like CM Punk is just stepping into the MMA ring without preparation. Besides, regardless of what people think about pro wrestling there are skills involved that transfer to MMA. I guarantee he'll have a very strong base and be a good grappler. If he fights a great striker with decent TD defense, he'll probably get waxed. It's hard to say though because he does have some strong kicks.
I'm not convinced he'll be good mind you, I'm just not convinced he'll be bad. I want to see him fight.

He is/was... But he never fully got over with the crowd until his infamous pipebomb speech. He still headlined a number of PPV's and put on some of the greatest matches of this era.

Not really. I'm just saying being a great athlete in pro wrestling, football, or hockey is a good start if preparing to be an MMA fighter. It's not like CM Punk is just stepping into the MMA ring without preparation. Besides, regardless of what people think about pro wrestling there are skills involved that transfer to MMA. I guarantee he'll have a very strong base and be a good grappler. If he fights a great striker with decent TD defense, he'll probably get waxed. It's hard to say though because he does have some strong kicks.
I'm not convinced he'll be good mind you, I'm just not convinced he'll be bad. I want to see him fight.

Ty Domi FTW!

Lol at "he's a pro wrestler so he has to be tough".

Getting punched is an entirely different sort of tough. Look how well Brock Lesnar handled strikes. He back-pedalled and turtled anytime someone put real pressure on him.

He's tough in the throw-himself-over-the-ropes tough, but he wasn't fighting 'tough'. No disrespect to the guy, but that's just the truth. He hated getting hit, which even his teammates leaked.

Punk is a genius with a lot of ambition, he made a career by proving a lot peole wronge, i'm sure he will do the same on UFC.

John Cena is their biggest name who's on the regular roster. He sells the most merchandise and has 6.7m twitter followers. Children apparently love him.

CM Punk was the biggest name at one point when he had a storyline where he beat John Cena but the WWE decided to do Rock/John Cena as Wrestlemania headliner when he was champ. And then the next year they made him lose to Rock to set up Rock/John Cena again as Wrestlemania headliner.

I have to respect that he signed up, so that tells me he is either tough at his core and truly knows it or else he is delusional. Even so, the best outcome I can imagine is that he lasts longer than expected. But that assumes he fights a typical guy on the UFC roster, not some hand picked bum off the street. The bar is set so low, that the title of this thread is true I guess.

From what I've read, he has absolutely no sports background besides pro wrestling. Nothing that I see in pro wrestling would translate to MMA like wrestling, judo, Bjj, boxing, MT ect...

I played football, baseball, basketball and grappled with my wrestling buddies once in a while during HS. When I first started Bjj I was in great shape and I got destroyed. Then I started to hold my own after a while and a blue belt who trained with Sherk, and had a HS wrestling background, came in for a seminar. I'm 6'1" 210 and he was about 5'9" 170 and he absolutely kicked the ever loving shit out of me. I felt that difference in strength and grip and technique, and I just don't see how pro wrestling can prepare you in any way more than wrestling or any true martial art.

John Cena is their biggest name who's on the regular roster. He sells the most merchandise and has 6.7m twitter followers. Children apparently love him.

CM Punk was the biggest name at one point when he had a storyline where he beat John Cena but the WWE decided to do Rock/John Cena as Wrestlemania headliner when he was champ. And then the next year they made him lose to Rock to set up Rock/John Cena again as Wrestlemania headliner.

I stopped watching WWE right after the Rock got big. Is CM athletic in his matches?

What is a pipebomb speech?

It was a "Shoot" Promo that Punk did. He pretty much announced to the world that his contract with the WWE was coming to an end and vented about how bad he was treated in the company.

When the fans heard it he gained a huge following, and Vince saw the potential $ he could make and re-singed him.

Skip to 1:45

[YT]7Ms0DFxpptk[/YT]

Back