CM Punk will do much better than people expect

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by pridedorim, Jan 11, 2015.

1. pridedorim

pridedorim Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Obviously he will never become a champion, or a contender, or a Top 10 fighter.

However many people talk as is CM Punk is some random skinny dude with absolutely zero training that is going to fight against professional fighters.

That is not the case. CM Punk is much better than people think.

First of all, there are some factors to be aware of.

1.- He is very tough!
    Pro wrestlers are not real fighters, all what they do is scripted, all of them would get destroyed by a Top 3 MMA fighter.
    However they are very very tough.
    They are actors, but all of them do a lot of weigh training and are physically very very strong.
    It is actually not easy at all to be a WWE superstar. They get hurt a lot, they are on the road the whole time (and that means a lot of uncomfortable stuff) and not anyone would be able to endure all of that.
    Punk will be training very hard, and he will endure all the pain, because he is mentally and physically very tough.

2.- He is used to the crowds.

Even though it is a different situation, he is very used to perform knowing that millions of people are watching him.
    I don't think he will freeze out there.

3.- He has already some knowledge.

I saw a video of him with a Gracie and other dude showing some BJJ techniques.
    He looked very smooth and absolutely effortless. It means that he obviously has trained and know some stuff. Is he a black belt? No. But he is already much better than a white belt.

4.- He is training at a Top camp and still has many months left.

Training striking with world class strikers and training grappling with a world class wrestler. Knowing that he will fight in about 9-10 months, he will learn plenty of stuff in that period of time.

5.- He understands the danger he is in, so he will train like a beast.

He knows that he put himself in a very risky situation. He knows that he will be fighting against guys with much more experience than him, and he knows that his only chance of doing good is to train like a beast, and he will do that.

6.- His opponent will probably underestimate him.

So, in conclussion, I am not saying that he will win his fight (It depends a lot on who is going to be his opponent), but I am saying that he will come much better prepared than people are expecting.
    They are expecting a punching bag that will get destroyed in 20 seconds.
    That is not the case. He will show that he has knowledge and he will do OK, winning or losing.

2. Luger

Luger Rabbi of Platinum Nation Banned

To summarize the OP
    We have never seen him take a punch, or fight at all.

He will be fighting a nobody in his first fight, so I doubt he will lose that one.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  3. Mister7

Mister7 Red Belt

Inb4 Brock breakdancing gif.

I just hope he doesn't get too hurt, while surprising a few people along the way. Win or lose.

4. odog

odog A cat trapped in a dog's body

No, he won't.

5. pridedorim

pridedorim Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

You obviously didn't read what I wrote.

6. Luger

Luger Rabbi of Platinum Nation Banned

I did and that will work against a nobody.
    But fighting someone that has 10+ years of training, the points you made wont matter.

7. Sigmafight

Sigmafight Banned Banned

I'm expecting him to stomp his foot on his punches

8. mikehunt

mikehunt ........Belt Buckle........

[​IMG]

9. beastlightnbs

beastlightnbs Brown Belt

He's going to look like an amateur, cause he is one. And his opponent will be too. Possibly someone with 1 pro fight. Either way, this will look like an amateur fight and should not be on a PPV card.

10. BabyBlue_Bomber

BabyBlue_Bomber Brown Belt

This. He will surprise us, not because of the reasons TS listed, although there were some good ones, but because I am almost sure that the UFC will bring in someone who doesn't belong with the company as a sacrificial lamb to make sure they squeeze as much money out of Punk as they possibly can.

However, we have seen what happened when the UFC brought Joe Lauzon in to welcome Jens Pulver home.

11. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

This made me lol

12. schwe30

schwe30 Black Belt

His BJJ experience isn't that great.

13. beastlightnbs

beastlightnbs Brown Belt

Seriously, why is this guy not fighting someone already in the UFC? Or put him on TUF. Nate Diaz, Roy Nelson and other already established fighters have had to go through TUF.

Oh I know, cause Punk would get absolutely demolished in his first fight and all the WWE fans would stop watching. So instead, we get to see amateur MMA on a UFC PPV.

Fucking clown shoes.

14. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

The best thing they could do for the guy would be to get him a couple ammy fights before his debut.

They could be under the guise of "sparring" and make the fighters and coaches sign non disclosure statements.

The difference between a fighters first fight and their 3rd or fourth is monumental

15. ThePewp

ThePewp Green Belt

And now, because of that, some people care about Joe Lauzon.

Unlike Jens Pulver, Phil Brooks will increase the ratings of the card enough that every fighter will have a real chance to showcase their best and make a statement in front of a very large audience.

16. Average

Average Blue Belt

Saying he willbdo better that I expect is still saying shit about him... so I won't go there.

17. orangecuse

orangecuse Gold Belt

The tough argument doesn't hold up for me. Yes tough as in he knows how to take bumps on his back(which I'm sure hurt) and works many nights in row in the tough wrestling business. But uh yeah WTF does that have to do with taking punches and leg kicks? If the UFC wants him to work five days straight getting slammed on his back then yes his toughness will help him.

18. HelloJapan

HelloJapan Talking loud and saying nothing. Platinum Member

It'll be somewhere between James Toney and Caesar Gracie.

19. morose

morose Purple Belt

lmao

20. ThePewp

ThePewp Green Belt

1-2 rare moments like cm punk or james toney isn't a bad thing. TUF is lame anyway, who wants to watch a bad reality show featuring grown men act like 14 year old boys and do all kinds of non-MMA related things?

I prefer having Punk as the first fight of the main card, which will draw in ratings and sales for the entire event. Everyone gets ratings benefit, and Punk isn't taking a top spot, while still being a good draw.