Media CM Punk: No Room For Error

His arrogance was his downfall. His entitlement to skip ahead of those who worked from the bottom to reach the UFC is something that might’ve struck him too late, he knew he was an imposter who got ahead on his name alone.
He also trained for 4 years full time and was still a BJJ white belt. That’s pathetic and I’ve known hobbyists who’ve got blue belts in half that time. Doesn’t appear that he worked hard at all given the opportunity, his arrogance and delusion being the reason.

Not sure if it was arrogance, but I agree 100% that CM Punk has been extremely deluded. Being a damage sponge in WWE doesn't mean you would be good at fighting for real. Don't get me wrong, I don't even like CM Punk as a person. The guy is a mark for himself who bought into his own hype. But to be objective, I'm not sure if this whole shitshow was his fault.

About entitlement? Well here's the thing. He's an old dude. Not to mention he is already a proven commodity with regards to viewership. If I were in his shoes, I am similarly not going to waste years in the regional circuit and fight my way up slowly. If the biggest MMA promoter wants to sign you up, you'll take up the offer too without a second thought. The UFC was all too happy to use his star power to sell tickets. Willing buyer, willing seller. Nobody was wrong there.

I also don't agree that he didn't work hard. This is a guy who spends 90 minutes traveling to his gym (3 hours in total commute to and fro) daily. That takes dedication. The people around him have been saying that the took things seriously and worked hard. By all accounts he has been a workhorse.

What went wrong for CM Punk was - first and foremost - he has the wrong coach/team. He seemed to be surrounded by yes-men who fed his delusion by making him think he has a chance at this. Instead of being honest and saying "Look Phil. you totally suck. If you fight in the UFC right now, you'll just get beat up". Duke Roufus is a scammer who took CM Punk's money and enabled his delusion. Look at what this snake oil salesman has been saying about CM Punk.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/3/...rooks-natrual-striker-bjj-debut-date-mma-news

Secondly, CM Punk has no fighting talent. There is no way someone who has been training years in MMA would throw such slow and sloppy punches/kicks. To add to your point about his lame jiu-jitsu, I have also seen people who train in boxing for 6 months with much much better form than CM Punk. The guy is straight up an untalented fighter, who has been made to believe otherwise by his coach. Any coach with a conscience should have seen how bad he was, and told him upfront that he is not going to find success in MMA, let alone in the biggest MMA promotion in the world.

But all Duke Roufus could see were dollar signs, and he sold this story to both CM Punk and the world that the guy is actually good at this. So all in all, while he isn't exactly the most likeable person around, CM Punk was more of a victim in this crazy saga.

Last edited:
vg6j3n1ayem31.gif
All I see is panic wrestling

Not sure if it was arrogance, but I agree 100% that CM Punk has been extremely deluded. Being a damage sponge in WWE doesn't mean you would be good at fighting for real. Don't get me wrong, I don't even like CM Punk as a person. The guy is a mark for himself who bought into his own hype. But to be objective, I'm not sure if this whole shitshow was his fault.

About entitlement? Well here's the thing. He's an old dude. Not to mention he is already a proven commodity with regards to viewership. If I were in his shoes, I am similarly not going to waste years in the regional circuit and fight my way up slowly. If the biggest MMA promoter wants to sign you up, you'll take up the offer too without a second thought. The UFC was all too happy to use his star power to sell tickets. Willing buyer, willing seller. Nobody was wrong there.

I also don't agree that he didn't work hard. This is a guy who spends 90 minutes traveling to his gym (3 hours in total commute to and fro) daily. That takes dedication. The people around him have been saying that the took things seriously and worked hard. By all accounts he has been a workhorse.

What went wrong for CM Punk was - first and foremost - he has the wrong coach/team. He seemed to be surrounded by yes-men who fed his delusion by making him think he has a chance at this. Instead of being honest and saying "Look Phil. you totally suck. If you fight in the UFC right now, you'll just get beat up". Duke Roufus is a scammer who took CM Punk's money and enabled his delusion. Look at what this snake oil salesman has been saying about CM Punk.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/3/...rooks-natrual-striker-bjj-debut-date-mma-news

Secondly, CM Punk has no fighting talent. There is no way someone who has been training years in MMA would throw such slow and sloppy punches/kicks. To add to your point about his lame jiu-jitsu, I have also seen people who train in boxing for 6 months with much much better form than CM Punk. The guy is straight up an untalented fighter, who has been made to believe otherwise by his coach. Any coach with a conscience should have seen how bad he was, and told him upfront that he is not going to find success in MMA, let alone in the biggest MMA promotion in the world.

But all Duke Roufus could see were dollar signs, and he sold this story to both CM Punk and the world that the guy is actually good at this. So all in all, while he isn't exactly the most likeable person around, CM Punk was more of a victim in this crazy saga.

You can only think of CM Punk as a victim if you believe his primary motivation in all of this was to become a great fighter.
If you believe that his motivation was to get paid, then there's no way you can think of him as a victim.
And by the way, just remember if he wanted to really compete in MMA at a realistic level, he could have fought in any number of smaller/regional promotions against guys of a similar age/level of talent.

Obviously the guy doesn’t have the best genetics, athleticism or fighting skills but I respect him for actually getting in there and giving it a shot. He went in there and did his best and found out that it’s not for him, nothing wrong with that.

I don't know why UFC gave him Mickey Gall as his first fight. Everyone knows you don't put a brown belt against a white belt. Maybe if Punk was built like a greek god and had a massive amateur wrestling pedigree. But as is, it was suicide. Why did his coaches agree to it? Why did UFC suggest it?

CM Punk is the American Takada essentially. A pro wrestler who utilized shoot style moves into his arsenal and began to by their own hype. Prior to this commentators would praise Punk for his muay thai and BJJ experience and skills during his matches but anyone who knew even the slightest bit about MMA could see right through his poorly executed moves. Just check out his "triangle" on Brock of all people

His "muay thai"

Remind you of anyone?

CM Punk is the American Takada essentially. A pro wrestler who utilized shoot style moves into his arsenal and began to by their own hype. Prior to this commentators would praise Punk for his muay thai and BJJ experience and skills during his matches but anyone who knew even the slightest bit about MMA could see right through his poorly executed moves. Just check out his "triangle" on Brock of all people

His "muay thai"

Remind you of anyone?

I know lol, he really thought it was real

I was one of the few who wanted CM Punk to win his debut and prove the doubters wrong. It would be an amazing lesson for those wasting their lives away on the couch - it is never too late to follow your passion. If an actor can work hard for 2 years and become a legit fighter, you can go chase your dreams too.

Unfortunately real life doesn't work that way. Sometimes, no matter how much passion you have for something, you are just not talented enough. Or maybe you started too late and the boat has sailed. CM Punk became a lesson on the dangers of having unrealistic expectations.

Nonetheless, he got paid 500k to get beaten by Mickey Gall for 2 minutes. That's more money than what some people would see in their entire lifetime - dude earned it in 2 minutes. Not such a bad deal at the end of the day. Even though he is justifiably treated as a meme around these parts, I can't really hate on a guy who is just trying to make the best out of his situation.

It’s never 500k for a few minutes. CM Punk trained for almost 2 years.

Back