Club only trains 2x per week

iama

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My local Judo club trains just twice a week, but seeing how regularly some sherdogers train and clearly how often many martial artists train, I feel as tough I'm possibly missing out. I'd happily train 5 times a week if I could.

So should I look to train at another club also, or take up some BJJ to help my Judo groundgame or something?

If you want to get better at just about anything you probably need to train more than twice per week. Results will always vary but generally your learning curve will change a bit if you can train more often. It's really up to you but I personally wouldn't want to pay to only have that much gym access.

Call me a wimp, but would joining another club be offensive to the current club, I like the people at my current club and they have helped me alot, but I do want more from it.

My judo club is competitive and meets only 3 times a week (plus another 'open mat'). The Saturday class is mixed kids and adults and is very lightly attended, though, so the more hardcore of the judoka really only train judo there twice a week. Most of them supplement their judo training with lifting and/or BJJ. It could just be that judo is harder on the body, or it could be that in judo you typically spend most of the time on a higher number of repititions of a fewer number of techniques.

My BJJ club(s) have far more players that train BJJ 5-6 days a week.

My judo club is competitive and meets only 3 times a week (plus another 'open mat'). The Saturday class is mixed kids and adults and is very lightly attended, though, so the more hardcore of the judoka really only train judo there twice a week. Most of them supplement their judo training with lifting and/or BJJ. It could just be that judo is harder on the body, or it could be that in judo you typically spend most of the time on a higher number of repititions of a fewer number of techniques.

My BJJ club(s) have far more players that train BJJ 5-6 days a week.

As opposed your judo club right?

So you think I can still do ok with twice a week?

So you think I can still do ok with twice a week?
You'll get better, just not particularly fast.

Most Judo clubs in my experience have no problem with their members training in other places as well, they're not clannish about it like BJJ tends to be. If you ask your current coaches they might well even recommend some places they like.

Serious Judo players train 5-6 days a week, just like serious BJJ players.

You are missing out big time. For my first two years I had an instructor who only taught twice a week. My buddy and I would go to our gym to work on our game our selves on none training days, but after I got out of the military I moved and now train 5 to 6 times a week. I went from being a three stripe white belt to a three stripe blue belt in a year and a half. My game improved so much over the time being able to train alot more with quality jiu jitsu players. My coach is telling me that I am almost ready for my purple. If I was still training twice a week ... I would think to only be a blue belt with no stripes right now.

My first BJJ club only trained twice a week and it just wasn't enough for me to improve so I switched to a club where I could train daily. The others who stayed at the club only training twice a week seem to have not really improved all that much, either.

My judo club is filled with guys who are really good and only train judo twice a week (but spend the rest of the time cross-training). Unfortunately, I can't really use myself as an example of that, because I still suck at judo (but would likely suck even if I trained judo every day, and to be fair because of injury I have very little balance on my right foot so have to make a lot of adjustments).

Anyway, I've not the most experienced in either art, but from my observation it seems more viable to get good in judo 2X per week than with BJJ. I would think that this is because you usually (at least in my club) do dozens of reps of 3-4 different throws as part of warmups so the overall number of reps (including uchikomis) you get in judo practice is usually a lot higher than in BJJ. So even before you get to technique instruction, a warmup probably includes 60-80 uchikomis of 3-4 different throws. BJJ warmups has the fundamental stuff (shrimping, penetration steps, etc.) but probably not the sheer volume of reps on techniques.

So should I look to train at another club also, or take up some BJJ to help my Judo groundgame or something?

BJJ will help your ground game but not your judo ground game. But if you are a rank beginner then I don't think this distinction will matter much to you.

Of course paying for two places...

My local Judo club trains just twice a week, but seeing how regularly some sherdogers train and clearly how often many martial artists train, I feel as tough I'm possibly missing out. I'd happily train 5 times a week if I could.

forget Judo! do BJJ! you won't regret! in general, judo guys are famous for being lazy in training. in fact, that's why you see many fat guy in judo than in bjj(you will notice that in olympic judo with ibjj for example). twice a week in judo is normal for them, but for us in bjj it's really not good! you know what i mean! if you want do judo, then baby you better should be ready to get injured because it has high risk being injured more than in bjj. you can ask this for anyone if you're not sure about what i said! good luck!

forget Judo! do BJJ! you won't regret! in general, judo guys are famous for being lazy in training. in fact, that's why you see many fat guy in judo than in bjj(you will notice that in olympic judo with ibjj for example). twice a week in judo is normal for them, but for us in bjj it's really not good! you know what i mean! if you want do judo, then baby you better should be ready to get injured because it has high risk being injured more than in bjj. you can ask this for anyone if you're not sure about what i said! good luck!

trumped-meme-generator-not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-stupid-ef5e0f.jpg

Anyway, just train at more than one club. It isn't a problem in judo like it is in BJJ. Just ask your instructor out of politeness, I don't foresee him/her saying no.

If they do say no, this is a good indicator that you should change clubs IMHO.

I was in a similar situation with my bjj classes, I could only attend twice a week. I ended up asking my gym if I could different classes to and they told me that I could pay a little more for 2 more judo/wrestling classes a week (so a total of four a week). I was already willing to switch to a club with more training days even of it was more expensive......and my gym is already cheap and like a 2 min walk from my house.

People as stupid as you should be drowned at birth.

forget Judo! do BJJ! you won't regret! in general, judo guys are famous for being lazy in training. in fact, that's why you see many fat guy in judo than in bjj(you will notice that in olympic judo with ibjj for example). twice a week in judo is normal for them, but for us in bjj it's really not good!
Yeah, this guy is a total chubbster:

0.jpg

judo guys are famous for being lazy in training.

I suppose the others above have a proper response to your post but I am a bit curious to know what makes you say so? In short, what is the basis for this observation?

if you have time, the resources, and the desire to train more, then you absolutely should be.

2 days a week is fine! Every time on the mat is a chance to improve.i have trained bjj twice a week through out my journey and have improved tremendously from year to year. Will I ever be competitive at worlds? No, but who cares. Just enjoy the journey 2 days a week is enough to improve!

Back