1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Closing your eyes

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by NUNZIO, Sep 10, 2010.

1. NUNZIO

NUNZIO White Belt

I see alot of people close the eyes when they might get punched how can someone prevent this,is there any technique to resolve this. What we do is they throw very close jabs to our face and we try not to blink

2. CONQUERER23

CONQUERER23 Orange Belt

That's a problem with most beginners. The more they see closing those eyes makes getting hit worse than opening them, they eventually adapt. At least most do.

3. Mike32110

Mike32110 White Belt

Wow, i just posted a thread asking almost the exact same thing, lol. So you just learn over time to not do this when getting a punch thrown at you?

4. Sanshou Kid

Sanshou Kid Brown Belt

Yep, just takes a little getting used to.

In our school we do the same thing TS said, letting people throw close punches and trying not to blink. it's hard though, the wind tickles your eyeballs :icon_chee

5. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

Squint a little, it'll help. You can't control your eyelids very well by stretching them wide open, but if you contract them slightly you can hold them in that position without too much trouble. And also practice a lot.

6. Rickoo7

Rickoo7 White Belt

The best way i train for this...ask a friend to throw something like a little ball on you...try to slip without blinking your eye...its sound stupid...but after 3 week of that...ive see some good amelioration

7. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

put your gloves up and have a partner punch at you (not with power obviously) for a minute or so and do that for a while. after a few weeks you should see improvement with not blinking.

8. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

The biggest step I made was trying to just move and occasionally jab whilst just taking a lot punches so I got used to getting hit and keeping my eyes open and not turning my head.