Closing your eyes

NUNZIO

White Belt
Reaction score
I see alot of people close the eyes when they might get punched how can someone prevent this,is there any technique to resolve this. What we do is they throw very close jabs to our face and we try not to blink

That's a problem with most beginners. The more they see closing those eyes makes getting hit worse than opening them, they eventually adapt. At least most do.

Wow, i just posted a thread asking almost the exact same thing, lol. So you just learn over time to not do this when getting a punch thrown at you?

Wow, i just posted a thread asking almost the exact same thing, lol. So you just learn over time to not do this when getting a punch thrown at you?

Yep, just takes a little getting used to.

In our school we do the same thing TS said, letting people throw close punches and trying not to blink. it's hard though, the wind tickles your eyeballs :icon_chee

Squint a little, it'll help. You can't control your eyelids very well by stretching them wide open, but if you contract them slightly you can hold them in that position without too much trouble. And also practice a lot.

The best way i train for this...ask a friend to throw something like a little ball on you...try to slip without blinking your eye...its sound stupid...but after 3 week of that...ive see some good amelioration

put your gloves up and have a partner punch at you (not with power obviously) for a minute or so and do that for a while. after a few weeks you should see improvement with not blinking.

The biggest step I made was trying to just move and occasionally jab whilst just taking a lot punches so I got used to getting hit and keeping my eyes open and not turning my head.

Back