closing the distance and other tips please

tampaboxer

White Belt
Reaction score
When I fight I have a problem knowing the distance of my opponent and just end up hitting air. Also when I do close distance like if i was fighting a counter fighter should i just head in swinging or whats the best approach. I have a tendency of getting nervous to. So really when I attack should I just say go for out and come at them ( be sure to block and headmovement as well).

Your jab is your rangefinder, and probably, the most important punch you have, if you can touch him with your jab, you can land other punches from the same distance.

When fighting a counter puncher, don't rush in and try to overwhelm him with sheer volume. While this may work for some, it is also a potentially risky situation for you. What if you're not fast enough to keep him busy?

Draw the counter puncher out, make HIM come to YOU, he's out of his comfort zone when he's forced to become the aggressor. Dart in, throw a quick, short combo, get out, force him to have to chase you. He'll be fighting your fight before he knows it.

Not quite sure if this is what you need, but it's similar to what ninjaunicorn said - my coach has had me working on a thing the last few weeks where you start at the very outside of kick range, push forward off the rear foot and come forward with a jab. From there you can do a few things, like throw a right straight or a right body shot. Then spring back out of range again, sometimes with a weak jab thrown as you do, sometimes with a stronger jab right before you spring back, etc. Very short and fast (if you do it right, still working on it myself). Maybe something like that?

how tall are you? honestly your reach and height all play a factor on how you engage a exchange.

Your jab is your rangefinder, and probably, the most important punch you have, if you can touch him with your jab, you can land other punches from the same distance.

Draw the counter puncher out, make HIM come to YOU.

Excellent advice, if you cant find your jab you shouldn't be throwing any punch behind it!

Step in with your jab and if your short double it or triple it till you find your range, then let your other punches go. If you miss your jab completely, the only punch you should even consider is another jab to find your range.

As for counter fighters, if you find your jab and establish that jab you can then begin to draw them in, but until you find your jab (your range) you wont be able to effectively draw them in and the worse thing you can do is press them with a bunch of off balance shots.

how tall are you? honestly your reach and height all play a factor on how you engage a exchange.

Not necessarily true. If you cant find your jab or your range, then it makes no difference how tall you are or how long your reach is.......... your height and reach can change how you engage in an exchange, but the most elementary rule in engaging in any exchange is being at the proper range and the jab is the most effective and easiest way to find that range. So height and reach make little difference if you cant get in range to land shots, and the jab is the most basic tool for finding that range......

Last edited:
If you're at a significant height and reach disadvantage, there are several things you need to do:

First, as everyone else has said, you live by your jab. This is true for everyone, but especially shorter guys; you will need to jab to get inside. Use good footwork, circle away from their power and move your head when he gets close. Use feints.

Second, as someone else said- make them chase you. If you're drawing them in, then they're coming forward, meaning that you have control over when you're going to explode in and close the distance. When moving forward, they give up a certain amount of reach/ reaction time because of momentum. The second that they look frustrated or overextended, that's when you pounce in: jab to get inside, then blast them with hooks & uppercuts, and finish with a leg kick.

If you're fighting a really patient counterstriker who refuses to hunt you down, it becomes a bit more interesting. Use a lot of side to side movement, especially with your head. Use feints try try and elicit a response/ counter- this is what people are talking about when they say "counter the counterfighter". And when you finally do hunt them down, make them pay for running. Overpower them in exchanges, put your fists on their jaw and your shins into their thigh. Make them fight ugly, because they HATE fighting ugly.

If you're at a significant height and reach disadvantage, there are several things you need to do:

First, as everyone else has said, you live by your jab. This is true for everyone, but especially shorter guys; you will need to jab to get inside. Use good footwork, circle away from their power and move your head when he gets close. Use feints.

Second, as someone else said- make them chase you. If you're drawing them in, then they're coming forward, meaning that you have control over when you're going to explode in and close the distance. When moving forward, they give up a certain amount of reach/ reaction time because of momentum. The second that they look frustrated or overextended, that's when you pounce in: jab to get inside, then blast them with hooks & uppercuts, and finish with a leg kick.

If you're fighting a really patient counterstriker who refuses to hunt you down, it becomes a bit more interesting. Use a lot of side to side movement, especially with your head. Use feints try try and elicit a response/ counter- this is what people are talking about when they say "counter the counterfighter". And when you finally do hunt them down, make them pay for running. Overpower them in exchanges, put your fists on their jaw and your shins into their thigh. Make them fight ugly, because they HATE fighting ugly.

good advice. be unpredictable, as a counter puncher reads everything you do and if you are predictable, you're easy pickings. be good to hear how you progress.

everyone is pretty much spot on here so ill just throw in anything else i know. like everyone said jab is key. think about it more when ur on the bag or pads too, throw your jab/frontkick feel how far away the bag is throw kicks and punches behind it sometimes they just dont feel right, ie your usually not gonna throw an elbow off a front kick etc. when ur doing pad work move around like ur actually sparring someone. get the pad holder to step in like hes attacking or move back straight back like hes doing the wrong thing haha practice makes perfect, just keep at it.

Back