Closed guard: What concepts changed your game?

Were you trying to stand up to break the guard? If not you were stalling.

Of course I was trying to break the guard and pass, even getting to half guard a few times but then being brought back into closed guard.

I wasn't trying to stand to break though, not really my style. Any particular reason you think non-standing attempts constitute stalling?

Of course I was trying to break the guard and pass, even getting to half guard a few times but then being brought back into closed guard.

I wasn't trying to stand to break though, not really my style. Any particular reason you think non-standing attempts constitute stalling?

I literally seen a match were our guy took the other guy down and got to half guard, and the other guy just held on and won, just held on the waist while our guy tried to pass. He won the fight. That's not jiu jitsu to me

I haven't met anyone who managed to open my closed guard without standing up.
And I haven't seen them ever work at the top level (besides Tozi pass).
I had tons of people stall while attempting to pry their elbow into my tight so I assumed you were doing some bullshit moves that got you DQ.

I haven't met anyone who managed to open my closed guard without standing up.
And I haven't seen them ever work at the top level (besides Tozi pass).
I had tons of people stall while attempting to pry their elbow into my tight so I assumed you were doing some bullshit moves that got you DQ.

I never stand to pass, it takes longer for me to pass but I make it uncomfortable and usually leads to a sub as I pass

I know several beasts from the closed guard.

They all invariably seem to use hip bump sweep and flower sweep in combination.

Could you talk about how they combine them? Those are my two favorite sweeps

Here's what I've been doing. I always look for the hip bump off the kimura, getting that sit up position with my arm over the shoulder and I use a belt grip a lot to maintain it. When the opponent digs a hand inside to push me back down, I drag it across and pop my hips up, high guard style, and from there I windmill or lately just go for the straight armbar to finish. I've had guys do it with the arm I'm attacking with the kimura or the other one.

I really like that position with the belt grip and the hip bump, so I've been trying to come up with other attacks to make into a sequence. The guillotine is the classic third part but has never clicked for me. I have literally got one tap via guillotine in like 4 years of training. I just fake it and push their head down to try and induce posture so I can bump. I've also been meaning to try that back take Scully showed recently, omaplata, and if I'm really not making any progress I'll pull the lapel out to look for the brabo choke.

BTW - For those that said that the closed guard was dead, at the IBJJF Europeans there was plenty of closed guard at the high levels. From Galvao to Gabi.

Gabi did the back take from 2 on 1 that some have shown on this thread :)

Back