Closed Guard VS. Open Guard-- and why?

I finished looking through the PDF and it's very interesting. My only recommendation is that they just relink the stuff that's re-iterated (for example the whole sets about particular submissions and their defenses) instead of copy pasting them to make it 29 pages! Still feel like I learned a bit from it though and the flow chart is awesome.

Definitely closed. About the only decent thing I have, wrap them up and keep them there, then sweep - hip bump if they sit back too much, and look for guillotine/kimura, or set up the grips for a scissor sweep when they come in to crush. And that's all I got. :icon_neut

ZOMG

What the hell is that?? damn that's fresh! got more? these things would be thread/sticky worthy.

that is kinda old, it is from grapple arts which i think is the website of the jscullis guy that posts here and on atama bjj.

you need to print that shit out on some poster board size paper or something.

that is kinda old, it is from grapple arts which i think is the website of the jscullis guy that posts here and on atama bjj.

you need to print that shit out on some poster board size paper or something.

nah grapplearts is stephan kesting's site, jscullis runs grappler's guide.

In gi, I use open guard almost exclusively, since you can really control the arms of the opponent, and use your legs to attack sweeps and subs. In no-gi, I use a mix, though I really pretty heavily on closed because it's much harder to control a guy's hands and prevent passing. Even in no-gi though, it's mostly rubber guard as I don't really like the standard old school closed guard for much.

I switch them up, it depends on the persons posture and gameplan really. I keep it closed when Im fighting for a grip or trying to set something up.

What is it you do that leaves blacks/browns so bewildered when they attempt to stand?

Can't really put it into words, but I use my inner thighs and quads to put sudden counter pressure on their quads and calves at particular times. As soon as they start establishing a good base I kind of just break it down. The movement is small so it pretty much feels like your being kicked in the back of the knee by invisible gremlins.

That's the best way I can describe it. there is other stuff I do with their hands, but that's the base of it.

Back