Closed Guard Help

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Glass6060, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Glass6060

Glass6060 White Belt

I've been hitting the setup for the armbar/flower sweep/omoplata/triangle from closed guard regularly at the gym, and as usual my training partners are starting to catch on. The biggest problem I've having is when they use the arm I'm dragging to grab their own collar/lapel. What's the best way to alter my attack once they counter by doing this and locking themselves down? Thanks.

2. bjornvil

bjornvil Blue Belt

If they use the arm to grab their own lapel, they can't post on it if you try to sweep them... just sayin' :)

3. Glass6060

Glass6060 White Belt

Ha - very true, and I've thought of this once or twice. One of the issues is that once they grab their label they're sitting down lower with a better base, or trying to pull backwards, making it harder to sweep using their momentum.

4. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

If they grab their lapel like that, keep hipping out and take their back.

5. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

This.

Also if their arms are close to their body and they're sitting too flat, a hip bump sweep often works well if you can switch grips and transition quick enough.

6. SoulScars

SoulScars White Belt

i just learnt this about the flower sweep today.. if they defend by posturing and making themselves heavy, keep your guard closed and hip up, than perform the flower sweep.. hope this helps?