CLOSE WINS Define Careers !

Dessyboy

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I don't know why in MMA and even boxing, close wins are almost considered failures.

It's not like that in other sports

If Nadal beats Federer 8-6 in the 5th set of a Grand Slam final, it's considered a great great win, no one goes on about how not winning in straight sets makes it a cr*p win

Similarly if an NBA championship is won in overtime in the 7th game or a superbowl is won by a touchdown in the dying minutes, these are seen as great great wins.

I know part of the issue is these other sports have definitive scoring systems where boxing and MMA have the subjectivity of the judges but it still isn't fair to knock these close wins.

Maybe we need to go real oldschool, back to roman times where two fighters go into the cage and only one leaves :) Then you get your definitive outcome :)

I know part of the issue is these other sports have definitive scoring systems where boxing and MMA have the subjectivity of the judges

This is the long and the short of it. As long as there's room to argue, opinions will be split, and glory will be diminished. Sad but true.

Because in MMA and Boxing the scoring is subjective, in Tennis and Basketball it's not.

50-45 (or less) defines GSP's career.
*not saying it's a bad thing. I love watching GSP shut people down

There's a difference between a close fight and a gift

I agree with JDS on this one, unless your name is Tim Bradley

Back