Close rounds are ruining the sport. They should be scored 10-10.

The round length is too long for a human judge. Split the round scoring into two score. First and second half.

Definitely this. Like you said, even in team sports it's horrible. Umprire strike zones, ridiculous pass interference calls, awful ticky tack fouls everytime you breathe on Lebron. Its ridiculous. I have no idea how to fix all that though

You can't fix it. You accept it as part of the game and you legislate for it. Especially in boxing/MMA.

A few things I think could at least mitigate the problems are changing the # of rounds and minutes per round, as well as changing the # of judges.

Have non-title fights be 5 X 4 minute rounds and Championship fights be 7 x 4 minute rounds. With a little more fight time and # of rounds, there will be more data to assess. And adding 2 more judges would hopefully mitigate subjective outliers.

A sudden death round would be awesome. No excuse for coasting and thinking you did enough.
not sure you would want to call it sudden death in a combat sport. maybe sudden victory like in the ultimate fighter.

This would probably lead to more draws, especially in a 3 round fight.

Which isn’t a bad thing...

But, that could lead to rematches and contenders taking longer to move up or down the rankings ladder...

Draws could potentially stagnate a division more than injuries do.

If I was a judge Id have a system where I not only judge the round for a winner but also stay alert for a signifigant or out of the ordinary action to decide who a close round goes to.

Example:

Wand and Huto have an extremely close round but Hunto executed the Atomic Butt Drop and therefore gets the round.

An athletic competition without a winner seems pointless no?

Most of the world are used to watching soccer where about a quarter of the results are draws. I think it's an American thing to not accept ties.

Imo it's more pointless picking a winner pretty much at random. You can see as a viewer if a fight's incredibly close, I don't see how awarding a victory due to guess work changes achieves anything other than shafting one of the participants.

"Dont leave it in the hands of close rounds"

Then you endup with draws...controversial draws btw, cause there is no way they did exactly the same, am i right?...

In my opinion, a draw is not just a 50/50 fight. I don't know where to draw the line but a 51/49 fight is still a draw. You cant "win" by an inch or a hair.

An otherwise even round should not have a winner just because one fighter landed that a clean stiff jab at 1:43 of the round.

They need to start using more numbers in the 10 point must system other than just 9 and 10. Think about how rare a 10-8 round is. In reality a 10-8 round should be the norm for a round where a fighter clearly won, 10-9 should be when there's more of a back and forth but you still know for sure one guy won the round. 10-6/10-7 should become the new 10-8.

The mob needs a winner and loser. One to laud and one to put down. The uncertainty of a draw doesn’t work. Maybe it would be better for educated fans but we are outnumbered by the mob. Mob needs someone to put down and someone to laud.

Or scrap the round by round scoring all together and judge the fight in its entirety

The fundamental problem with the MMA scoring system has been the same problem since they day they adopted the 10-9 must rules.

The problem being you're using a 10-9 must scoring system based on points, and round by round scoring.

It simply doesn't, hasn't, and never will work, and it's beyond laughable they continue to run a "sport" under these rules.

The fight should be judged as a whole after proper criteria is established. It would solve virtually every problem that currently exists.

Back