Clip your toe nails

Judo Bounce

White Belt
Reaction score
Story time.

So last week I was at my BJJ class and it was a nogi day. Good day, learned how to better secure an RNC and had some decent rolls. When I got home though I noticed a bunch of small cuts under my wrists (no emo jokes) and above my ankles and was thinking wtf? How do you get cuts in a grappling match? I trained with my instructor a few days ago and he told me more than likely because someone didn't clip their finger/toe nails. I thought gross but didn't worry about it too much. Tonight I found out someone who was also cut from the toe nail got staph as a result. wut. It was that guys first day at our gym too. Not a good first impression. We do clean our mats daily though I don't know if they clean them between classes. It freaked me a bit cause that could've easily been me. I've seen what staph can do. IT AIN'T PRETTY. I'm guessing this is common knowledge for the grappling community so this is more directed to news guys like me starting out. So yea, CLIP YOUR NAILS.

Epilogue: The guy's fine. He went to the doctor at the first sign and got medication.

yeah when i roll with guys and their nails arent cut i usually tell them to go clip their nails cuz theres a nailclipper in the class. ive even had to rat some people out to the instructor

OH GREAT. I found another cut. The paranoia is sinking in. I'm like bathing in neosporin. :icon_sad:

yeah when i roll with guys and their nails arent cut i usually tell them to go clip their nails cuz theres a nailclipper in the class. ive even had to rat some people out to the instructor

I'm gonna start making it a habbit to carry nail clippers in my gym bag.

Yeah, this is no joke. I was rolling with a guy in no-gi class two weeks ago and he sliced my wrist with his toenail. It didn't get infected but it's right at the sleeve cuff of my gi so the scab just gets ripped off again every day. Two weeks later it still hasn't fully healed. Fucking pisses me off.

Back