Clinton College Proposal

yeah i worked my butt off to pay off my student loans after graduatiing in 2012 and now its going to be free? Can't you prorate some tax break for people like us? I mean our situation is the whole fucking reason this whole law would even come into effect.

Part of her proposal is to allow students to refinance their debt at lower rates. Mine are near 7%, so I would be thrilled to knock it down a few points.

But I hear ya! I wish this came out 15 years ago but what can you do. I still support progress for future generations.

This is a pretty awesome election campaign promise! Can't wait for muh free college to start next Nevuary.

And capping charitable deductions @ 28% will certainly have no unintended consequences whatsoever.

Once I get my free, online MBA hanging on the wall they'll have to promote me to asst. chief barista - THEY'LL JUST HAVE TO!

With me I have a 4 year degree. I can't take the 3 years off to go to law school and hope to have my job still as well.

Hence why I am looking at non-ABA certified online versions of law school.

True, I just know the way it all works is goofy as fuck.

Have you considered going part-time?

I would strongly advise against any non-ABA certified version of law school unless your state allows those students to sit for the bar or you don't care about getting licensed. Nothing worse than having the degree but not being able to take the exam.

Part of her proposal is to allow students to refinance their debt at lower rates. Mine are near 7%, so I would be thrilled to knock it down a few points.

But I hear ya! I wish this came out 15 years ago but what can you do. I still support progress for future generations.

Just finished paying mine off. BBBOOOO

Have you considered going part-time?

I would strongly advise against any non-ABA certified version of law school unless your state allows those students to sit for the bar or you don't care about getting licensed. Nothing worse than having the degree but not being able to take the exam.

The one I am looking at there is a lady in town that went there and has a license for my state even though the school is out of state. So with that I am safe.

Problem for me with part time, is the nearest ABA law school... is a 2 hour fucking drive. I am NOT doing that 2-3 times a week, at night, when I work a 40 hour a week job.

If I were to do that I might as well get my old job as a bouncer back in addition to what I do now.

The supply system is partly to blame. If they need a hammer they can't just have the command order one from Lowe's, they need to use some convoluted ordering system, where they're not even sure if the hammer they're ordering is the one they need. And it will probably end up costing $300. But the military isn't concerned with profits and loss, so the guys on the ground don't often think twice about it.

this happens all over in industry too. order systems are a fucking joke everywhere except for small businesses, who do just go to lowes.

This is a pretty awesome election campaign promise! Can't wait for muh free college to start next Nevuary.

If you had to be serious for a minute, do you think free public college is a good thing? I get why people would argue over how it's funded but it's hard to imagine anyone being against this part of it.

And capping charitable deductions @ 28% will certainly have no unintended consequences whatsoever.

Yes. Churches will have to forgo the gold plated crucifix, I guess.

Once I get my free, online MBA hanging on the wall they'll have to promote me to asst. chief barista - THEY'LL JUST HAVE TO!

I know you're joking, but I think this would go a long way in making sure poor people have access to college and making sure middle class folks aren't crushed with debt, but make light of that all you want.

Agreed (especially with your 2nd paragraph). We would need to maintain standards and only accept capable students.

Yes. I want to live in an America where those born poor and smart can still have a chance at a decent material quality of life. Only those born poor and not so smart should be consigned to a life of poverty.

Hillary is looking to reduce/eliminate costs of public college and pay for it by eliminating/reducing certain itemized deductions on higher income earners.

http://www.accountingtoday.com/news...etter&utm_campaign=daily-aug 12 2015&st=email

The plan is estimated to cost $350 billion. Assuming the cost is covered (lets be honest, we can reduce military spending as well to fund this) I think it's a great idea. Ideas along this line of thinking are probably the best way to combat income inequality.

This also seeks to hold public colleges to higher standards and to control costs.

What do you guys think? I'd love to hear a conservative solution to rising education costs.

Higher standards sounds good. Any specifics?

Would it include more rigorous selection?

If you had to be serious for a minute, do you think free public college is a good thing? I get why people would argue over how it's funded but it's hard to imagine anyone being against this part of it.

It's a good thing if we rigorously test entrants to make sure only the smartest, of whatever their background, get to go.

Hey man don't complain that's great! I can afford a fucking mercedes with the payments I am making.

I can't even afford to not live at home with the folks right now. Barely make $1400 a month, with a $462 truck payment every month... bbbbooooo

Yes. I want to live in an America where those born poor and smart can still have a chance at a decent material quality of life. Only those born poor and not so smart should be consigned to a life of poverty.

I disagree with the last sentence. Anyone willing and able to work should not live in poverty. That's a topic for a different thread though.

Higher standards sounds good. Any specifics?

Would it include more rigorous selection?

Good questions and I am not sure if the details have of that have been hashed out or made public. I'll add them to the thread if I come accross them.

yeah i worked my butt off to pay off my student loans after graduatiing in 2012 and now its going to be free? Can't you prorate some tax break for people like us? I mean our situation is the whole fucking reason this whole law would even come into effect.

Agreed, college is the new high school, so you rather as well fund it at this point. Out of curiosity, do you think the government should fund MA and PhD programs (yes I know many are already funded).

Sucks to be this generation. Last generation, they were able to file bankruptcy. Which I think we should be able to do. File it, start fresh but with the credit hit. You lose time but it's not the debt servitude that it's become.

As for MA and PhD programs, I don't think we need to fund those yet. But at some point the conversation will be needed.

In truth, the cheapest and best option is to ramp up high school difficulty levels so that graduation isn't the rubber stamp it has become and starts meaning something again. People need to fail high school - we should probably aim for a specific attrition rate.

That will make college enrollment more competitive and, presumably, increase the value of the degrees. That should boost employability, relative to the debt incurred, and we wouldn't have to pay for college at all, just better high schools. But people balk at the idea of rigorous high school standards so this is the next best option.

I can't even afford to not live at home with the folks right now. Barely make $1400 a month, with a $462 truck payment every month... bbbbooooo

Sorry to hear it man. Go get that law degree and make some real money!

How about free schooling and once they graduate and work then pay a reasonable fee dependent on the job they are accepted into, so that we can truly find the brightest minds rather than the wealthy minds which seem to not amount to much getting done at all. :icon_chee Keep in mind robots will take up many jobs in the future so our leaders better plan for that now or else. If the youth don't take advantage and fail multiple classes they will have to pay fee to get back in school. Fair both ways.

Last edited:
Why should college be paid for by the government?

Why should anything be paid for by the government? Generally because society considers it a social good with widespread benefits that are hard for a single person to reap (e.g. it's good to have police but it's not very effective for each individual to have their own private security firm). We decided long ago that elementary and high school fell into those categories, as the necessity of a college degree to get any kind of decent work I think you can make a strong case that we should extend that sort of subsidization to college. Hell, we already made that decision when established public universities in the first place, they've only become relatively expensive in the past 30 years or so as public funding has been cut.

Sucks to be this generation. Last generation, they were able to file bankruptcy. Which I think we should be able to do. File it, start fresh but with the credit hit. You lose time but it's not the debt servitude that it's become.

As for MA and PhD programs, I don't think we need to fund those yet. But at some point the conversation will be needed.

In truth, the cheapest and best option is to ramp up high school difficulty levels so that graduation isn't the rubber stamp it was and starts meaning something again. People need to fail high school - we should probably aim for a specific attrition rate.

That will make college enrollment more competitive and increase the value of the degrees. That should boost employability relative to the debt and we wouldn't have to pay for it, just high school. But people balk at the idea of rigorous high school standards so this is the next best option

Great suggestions, especially making college enrollment more difficult, which would increase the value of the degrees. If it were only the smartest 20% going to college, I'd have no problem paying for their tuition.

But you know we can't have nice things because that would result in "disparate impact" :icon_neut

In truth, the cheapest and best option is to ramp up high school difficulty levels so that graduation isn't the rubber stamp it was and starts meaning something again. People need to fail high school - we should probably aim for a specific attrition rate.

That will make college enrollment more competitive and increase the value of the degrees. That should boost employability relative to the debt and we wouldn't have to pay for it, just high school. But people balk at the idea of rigorous high school standards so this is the next best option.

I disagree with the whole highschool thing 100%. I barely made it past highschool cause just didn't care. I was to young to understand how it would affect my future if I failed. Just keep highschool as it is I don't see any reason to change it. This country has plenty of money to pay for the colleges it's just a matter of are we willing to make the cuts in the places we know we can afford to. Mainly the defense budget.

Not trying to hate, but...sell your damn car and buy a cheaper one. I have a C300 that I don't pay $462 a month on.

Back