Clinton College Proposal

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by kpt018, Aug 12, 2015.

1. kpt018

kpt018 Gold Belt

Hillary is looking to reduce/eliminate costs of public college and pay for it by eliminating/reducing certain itemized deductions on higher income earners.

http://www.accountingtoday.com/news...etter&utm_campaign=daily-aug 12 2015&st=email

The plan is estimated to cost $350 billion. Assuming the cost is covered (lets be honest, we can reduce military spending as well to fund this) I think it's a great idea. Ideas along this line of thinking are probably the best way to combat income inequality.

This also seeks to hold public colleges to higher standards and to control costs.

What do you guys think? I'd love to hear a conservative solution to rising education costs.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  2. whougonnacall

whougonnacall Silver Belt

tax breaks for the rich?

3. kpt018

kpt018 Gold Belt

Breaks? No, she would be eliminating some tax breaks for the rich. I think one of the bigger items that would be capped is charitable donations.

4. whougonnacall

whougonnacall Silver Belt

it was a joke dude ie suggesting the right wing awnser to everything is always tax breaks for the well off

5. Gregolian

Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

I personally am not a huge fan of cutting defense spending as it never comes from the right place. It usually comes from shit like equipment/maintenance (like the canning of the A-10 Warthogs) instead of closing down the true money sinks like the bases we have all over the world.

Common saying all my military buddies say:
    "All our equipment, we have to remember is made by the lowest bidder"

I honestly don't have a solution, though, since I only just recently finished college... if this happens I would LOVE to have a refund of some kind, just saying.

6. weich

weich Silver Belt

At the very least I think the full cost of student loans should be tax deductible, not just interest, and no income cap.

7. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

I have to look into how it's going to be paid for but it's a position that I agree with.

I think we've reached the point in society where college is as important as high school and the cost should be covered at the state/federal level. If you want to go private go ahead.

This doesn't mean guaranteed admission however. People familiar with CCNY from the mid 50's, 60's and 70's know that CCNY was pretty close to free and turned out tons of great graduates. This happened because everyone competed to get admission and so CCNY could pick the cream of the crop for it's admission rolls.

8. dabausplaya

dabausplaya Brown Belt

"income inequality"?

More degrees means more competitive for the same dwindling pool of jobs.

9. Terry Noonan

Terry Noonan Brown Belt

Why should college be paid for by the government?

10. weich

weich Silver Belt

When the lowest bidder is spending billions in development you still end up with good stuff. I'd argue that the US has the best equipment in the world by a good margin. Even if other nations have individual pieces of equipment that perform better than the US equivalent.

11. kpt018

kpt018 Gold Belt

Agreed (especially with your 2nd paragraph). We would need to maintain standards and only accept capable students.

12. Gregolian

This is just the outlook most of them have.

Most of the anger my buddies have is revolving around the continued use of Humvees and Strikers, they all fucking hate them and call them death traps.

I also know the military uses a real fucking goofy accounting system that makes it look like hammers cost $300.

13. ultramanhyata

ultramanhyata Gold Belt

Welcome to the insanity of using supply and demand to determine the value of human labor.

14. kpt018

kpt018 Gold Belt

I disagree. This is simply removing barriers for students who want to attend college. As Pan said, this should not mean guaranteed admittance.

We basically want to eliminate the barrier that poor students face, which is affording college. And we want to avoid saddling everyone else with massive debt, which is a drag on the economy and demoralizing to students quite frankly. We are seeing students with meaningful degrees and really good professional jobs hold off on marriage, buying homes, etc. because they have a mini mortgage in the form of a student loan.

I get that there can (and will) be some disagreement on how to pay for it, but I think it's a great idea.

15. Gregolian

*cough*me and law school*cough*

16. kpt018

kpt018 Gold Belt

Lol! I was thinking the same thing. I would love to go get my MBA but I am sure I make way too much to qualify for anything (I have to assume the free tuition is means tested and confined to Associates and Bachelors degrees).

Since I am a CPA there isn't much benefit, if any, in me paying for and spending the time to get the degree. But if it were cheaper it is something I would personally love to do.

17. Winnie The Foo

Winnie The Foo Green Belt

The supply system is partly to blame. If they need a hammer they can't just have the command order one from Lowe's, they need to use some convoluted ordering system, where they're not even sure if the hammer they're ordering is the one they need. And it will probably end up costing $300. But the military isn't concerned with profits and loss, so the guys on the ground don't often think twice about it.

18. Gregolian

With me I have a 4 year degree. I can't take the 3 years off to go to law school and hope to have my job still as well.

Hence why I am looking at non-ABA certified online versions of law school.

True, I just know the way it all works is goofy as fuck.

19. ucunc156

ucunc156 Silver Belt

yeah i worked my butt off to pay off my student loans after graduatiing in 2012 and now its going to be free? Can't you prorate some tax break for people like us? I mean our situation is the whole fucking reason this whole law would even come into effect.
    Agreed, college is the new high school, so you rather as well fund it at this point. Out of curiosity, do you think the government should fund MA and PhD programs (yes I know many are already funded).

20. Gregolian

At least something would be nice retroactively.