International Climate change: Canada records the country's highest ever temperature third day in a row 49.6C/121F

Fanu

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Canada feeling the burn to the point of whole towns burning:

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2021/07/03/Historic-Western-Canada-Heat-Wave/

The poster community of this horrific episode has to be Lytton, British Columbia. The town broke Canada’s long-standing all-time national high temperature of 45C with a high of 46.6C (121.3F) on June 27. The next day brought 47.9C, and Tuesday a stunning 49.6C.

The intense heat flash dried the rugged, forested landscape, and wildfires mushroomed across the area on June 30. By evening, the entire town of Lytton was under mandatory evacuation orders, and Mayor Jan Polderman told CBC News that “the whole town is on fire.” Most homes in Lytton have been destroyed, according to provincial authorities.

In Vancouver, residents have reported car windows cracking and melting, even when they are not parked in the sun.

Even US was/is affected by this heat wave:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57668738

In the US Pacific Northwest on Monday, temperatures hit 46.6C (116F) in Portland, Oregon, and 42.2C (108F) in Seattle, Washington, the highest levels since record-keeping began in the 1940s, the National Weather Service said.

In Oregon, authorities say at least 63 people have died from health issues related to the hot weather over the past few days. Forty-five of those deaths were recorded in Multnomah County.

At least 16 people have died in Washington state's King and Snohomish counties.​

_119154148_canada_heatwave_640-nc.png

Also as these weather extremes become more and more common throughout the world, we can expect mass (uncontrolled) migration as people flee affected areas

Guess climate change deniers won't have much ammunition soon

Might this force Canada to rethink its own negative effect on nature in the form of devastating fracking thats been going on for decades there?

tar_sands_mine.jpg

Most likely not, as people running the show dont care about any long term effects their business have, only short term profit (probably thinking they can move to any part of the world not affected by global warming - which in itself is retarded).

The previous record was 45C and set in 1937. Why has it been lower from 1937 until now? Was there a lot of global warming in 1937 that we are only just now catching up to?

Oh what a novel argument
Global warming means that these extremes are only going to get more common and longer lasting
So instead of waiting for nearly 100 years for next deadly heat wave, you're only going to have to wait until next summer. Enjoy the heat.

Why do we have to keep explaining weather vs climate? Do you guys really not understand?
Because you keep flip flopping on it. Why is this heat wave the climate, but the one 1937 was weather?

Canada and the US Northwest are trapped in a heat dome, which is a metrological phenomena that has always been present in these areas. It has happened periodically there for forever.

Last edited:
Let’s actually do something about it. There are lots of small things everyone can do but let’s wait for the govt to do it for us

My cats favorite food is ham. My great grandfather's favorite food was also ham.

My cat likes ham because of my great grandfather.
Haven't we moved beyond the "correlation =\= causation", for this particular argument?

Let’s actually do something about it. There are lots of small things everyone can do but let’s wait for the govt to do it for us
I'd like to hear a viable proposal about how climate change can be combated, in the absence of change at the policy level.

Yeah, perfect. If you told me Canada was on average 2C hotter this year than in 1950, I would believe you. That would be climate. But OP told me Canada is melting because of climate change, and his proof is that their local, temporary heat wave caused by a rare meteorological phenomena broke a record set by the same phenomena 90 years ago. That is just random weather fluctuations, not climate change. I am in favor of reasoned decisions informed by good science. I oppose reflexive decisions made because of unscientific alarmism.

lol. In Halifax a few years ago we had a rally and blocked one of the bridges. It quickly turned embarrassing because even if you support climate change action, half the people who join the rally with you are incredibly stupid embarrassing modern folks.

We had a 17 year old girl in Halifax turn into a fucking MEME called "Blanket girl". Her and her mom are on video just losing their shit at a woman who was trying to bicycle over the bridge to work. They are screaming shit like "YOU COULD HAVE SAVED BUS FARE TO USE THE OTHER BRIDGE"

You people can never make up your mind.

We have a very cold winter spell , " you people don't understand the difference between climate and weather.".

We have a hot spell in the summer, " see climate change".

Yeah, perfect. If you told me Canada was on average 2C hotter this year than in 1950, I would believe you. That would be climate. But OP told me Canada is melting because of climate change, and his proof is that their local, temporary heat wave caused by a rare meteorological phenomena broke a record set by the same phenomena 90 years ago. That is just random weather fluctuations, not climate change. I am in favor of reasoned decisions informed by good science. I oppose reflexive decisions made because of unscientific alarmism.

yes, "local" to almost whole of north west

_119154148_canada_heatwave_640-nc.png

You people can never make up your mind.

We have a very cold winter spell , " you people don't understand the difference between climate and weather.".

We have a hot spell in the summer, " see climate change".
just a for the record in case you're interested in actually learning something today instead of throwing platitudes into the void

the polar vortex phenomenon wherein artic air blasts us with frigid winter weather is actually due to global warming. In a nutshell that air is supposed to circulate around the poles, but doesn't have enough momentum and 'leaks' out down on us. Dummies on all social media platforms declare global warming debunked during these stretches, like last winter when Texas got blasted

a city in the artic circle hit 103F the other day

just a for the record in case you're interested in actually learning something today instead of throwing platitudes into the void

the polar vortex phenomenon wherein artic air blasts us with frigid winter weather is actually due to global warming. In a nutshell that air is supposed to circulate around the poles, but doesn't have enough momentum and 'leaks' out down on us. Dummies on all social media platforms declare global warming debunked during these stretches, like last winter when Texas got blasted

And that would be climate change if measured over a long period of time taking into account normal fluctuations.

The climate does change and man does have an effect on it. The amount and what we should do about it is the debate.

there's nothing we can do individually. I've taken my farm which is 1/1000th of 1% of north dakota's land and removed cattle from it and the methane gasses that come with that. A few ranchers have stopped by assuming the longtime renter left the land and inquired about renting it out. I planted about 20,000 trees this year so far. I grow massive amounts of produce using solar energy to pump the water and sell locally. I spend next to nothing to get by, literally like 5k a year USD on my personal upkeep, one costco trip a year for my rice/oils/fats/grains

none of this is going to do a fucking think to stop the permafrost melting. The only thing that will is abolishing this system of capital that must exponentially grow or it collapses

Back