Cleto reyes

Josh B

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Are cleto reyes a really good brand of boxing gloves. Im getting the amatuer boxing gloves for christmas because you get 2 for $200. I was going to use them to train and eventually use them in a match.
Does that sound like a good idea.

Cletos are some of the best you can buy. The leather and stitching are top notch and should last you a long time. They tend to have the least possible padding in front of the knuckles and are known more as "puncher's gloves."

However, you can only use USA Boxing/AIBA/Whatever sanctioning group-sanctioned gloves or gloves specifically bought and supplied by the promoter, so most likely you won't be able to use your own gloves.

Are cleto reyes a really good brand of boxing gloves. Im getting the amatuer boxing gloves for christmas because you get 2 for $200. I was going to use them to train and eventually use them in a match.
The Cleto Reyes has an awkward thumb design. So If you have the chance, you should test one out to make sure if it's comfortable.

training with with fight gloves....
maybe I am alone but I think that is a bad idea. Maybe sometimes if you sure those the the type of glove used in an upcoming fight or tournament, but i would reccomend gloves meant for training. if you do want a pair of reyes get a pair of training gloves

They Reyes amateur gloves are AIBA sanctioned, so you should have no problem. However, idk about training with them and then using them in matches. If you participate under USA Boxing they check the padding to make sure it's safe. The Reyes amateur gloves use Saftec foam, which is and injected mold foam if I remember correctly. They will not last thru constant training, the foam will break down. The ammy shows I've been too all supplied gloves. I just got a pair of 10 ounce for mitts and light sparring to get used to the feel of the weight.

Edit: if you do decide to get them then get these: http://bit.ly/2hxcyN2
The ones with the white knuckles are illegal in most competition now

In the UK, whoever is hosting the event provides the competition gloves. Doesn't matter if your own personal gloves are AIBA sanctioned, they probably won't let you use them.

They Reyes amateur gloves are AIBA sanctioned, so you should have no problem. However, idk about training with them and then using them in matches. If you participate under USA Boxing they check the padding to make sure it's safe. The Reyes amateur gloves use Saftec foam, which is and injected mold foam if I remember correctly. They will not last thru constant training, the foam will break down. The ammy shows I've been too all supplied gloves. I just got a pair of 10 ounce for mitts and light sparring to get used to the feel of the weight.

I wonder how a 10oz Reyes Amateur differs from a 10oz Reyes Safetec Pro Fight glove?

I had a pair of 10oz Reyes Safetec fight gloves and they were quite protective/thick at the knuckles, but almost nothing at the wrists.

Recently I acquired a pair of 10oz Rival RF3 amateur gloves, and I prefer it over the Safetecs. It feels similar to the ~2006 Everlast amateur gloves I used back then; padding-wise (multi-layer).

Also, got my hands on a pair of 10oz Winning AM10 amateur gloves; and these things take the cake for a maximum hand protection 10oz glove; surpassing the training (MS300B) model and pro fight model (MS300).

While super protective/thick at the knuckles, there's still some feedback. While with IMF style gloves (Safetec), feedback is almost virtually all eliminated; which can be boring for some people.

I was told by Koubudo of Rakuten that they should be as durable as the training model and definitely more durable than the pro fight model.

What kind of Cleto reyes should i get for the bag and mitts and sparring?

Regardless of whether or not the gloves are AIBA/USA Boxing approved, you absolutely can not bring your own gloves to a sanctioned event. The gloves are provided by the promoter and collected immediately afterward. The only reason I'd purchase competition gloves is to get acclimated to the size and fit leading up to an event, or to provide them for my own sanctioned event.

I have a pair of 10 oz cleto safetec fight gloves. To be honest they are more well padded on the knuckles than even my winning g 10oz fight gloves. But overall I think the winnings are better because of ideal fit and thumb postition.

cleto-reyes-set-guantoni-amateur-cb910.jpg

I belive the amateur gloves you speak of come as two pair red and blue. And are a velcro version of the safetec fight gloves. They should be fine for mitts and some light bag work. I would recomend Winning for sparring, or more economical - Ring to cage's clone the "C-17".

1DrqRPx.jpg

Largely people frown on training with fight gloves. But I do it myself. Fight gloves are useually better quality than regular gloves. And they are made to accommodate a pro fight wrap. (But I would recommend a pro training wrap). Everyone is different and some people have hand problems and need the extra padding of training gloves.

If your planning on fighting on a amateur level . I would find out what gloves you will be using so you can train in those gloves on some level, even if it'st just mitts.

Cheers.

I have a pair of 10 oz cleto safetec fight gloves. To be honest they are more well padded on the knuckles than even my winning g 10oz fight gloves. But overall I think the winnings are better because of ideal fit and thumb postition.

cleto-reyes-set-guantoni-amateur-cb910.jpg

I belive the amateur gloves you speak of come as two pair red and blue. And are a velcro version of the safetec fight gloves. They should be fine for mitts and some light bag work. I would recomend Winning for sparring, or more economical - Ring to cage's clone the "C-17".

1DrqRPx.jpg

Largely people frown on training with fight gloves. But I do it myself. Fight gloves are useually better quality than regular gloves. And they are made to accommodate a pro fight wrap. (But I would recommend a pro training wrap). Everyone is different and some people have hand problems and need the extra padding of training gloves.

If your planning on fighting on a amateur level . I would find out what gloves you will be using so you can train in those gloves on some level, even if it'st just mitts.

Cheers.

Agreed on the Reyes Safetec pro fights having thicker cushioning than the Winning pro fights.

It's basically Cleto Reyes' "pillow" model of their fight gloves versus Winning's reformulated "less pillow" fight gloves. If I recall correctly, Winning redesigned their pro fight gloves (Ms200 Ms300) in 2007 to be more of a fight glove than just simply an 8oz/10oz version of their training models.

The velcro versions of their 8oz/10oz (Ms200b Ms300b) remain unchanged though.

I had a pair of Ms300B and they had thicker and slightly denser knuckle padding than the Ms300, but still slightly thinner than the Reyes Safetec.

The Safetec may be thicker but it's just one large piece of soft IMF type foam.

Whereas Winning uses a double layer (ms300) and triple layer (ms300b) padding, which I prefer.

Also agree on using competition fight gloves to train in to get familiar with what will be worn in fights.

Fight gloves are generally more comfortable and fit better than most training gloves.

If someone wanted to use fight gloves for training but feel more protection is needed; I'd suggest using the Winning NG2 gel knuckle guards in their wraps; competition style wrapped or not. Either way they make a noticeable diffefence.

Last edited:
May end up picking up the Reyes amateurs. The thumb even looks like it's more safetec than trainers.

Back