Cleto Heavy Bag Gloves Review

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by jackie_chan, Aug 13, 2016.

1. jackie_chan

jackie_chan White Belt

REVIEW
    Took me a while to get back to this but in the mean time I've had a few months with the gloves.
    I got the XL(10oz) slip-ons with the cut-away thumb (http://www.forzasports.com/p-6047-cleto-reyes-leather-boxing-bag-gloves-black.aspx). Current weight is 170lbs and I'm 6'1.

Length
    I have a pair of 18oz Cleto Reyes sparring gloves and my fingers reach the tip of the compartment and I can use the my fingertips to grip the ribbing at the end of the hand pocket. In these gloves, my fingers do not. I would say I have "average long" hands (not excessively so). They bend nicely and the "excess" length is not apparent in my palm when I make a fist.

Width
    They're more than wide enough although I don't have really thick hands, I'm sure they would do. I was surprised by the size of the opening at first but the placement of the elastic and the shape of thumb ensure that they stay in position when they're doing their job. I was worried about them slipping off my hands during pad sessions but I don't have to pull them up very often (usually only after some clinch work). That's a price I'm willing to pay for that slip-on convenience.

Padding
    The padding is nowhere as stiff as that of the Cleto sparring glove. I feel my knuckles sinking into when I punch. It's not bad, although my personal preference would be a little stiffer. I'm sure they'll get that way with some more use as the foam compresses.

Weight
    They're apparently 10oz although I don't really notice. That being said, I've used 16oz gloves as bag/pad gloves before and haven't found a problem with that either.

Construction
    Quality. So far, so good. Reyes has been good to me in the past and these are no different. They also smell great and kept that strong leather smell for longer than expected. Mmmmm.

Conclusion
    That pretty much sums up what I could think of.
    I wish the padding was more dense out of the box. I also wish that they didn't ever slip off even a little which might be too much to ask.
    Overall 8.5/10 maybe a 9 if I'm feeling generous.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  2. KSRG

KSRG White Belt

Ordered a pair of the xl velcro ones.