1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Cleaning Your Gi - Gimme Some Tips.

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Peteyandjia, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Thanks Mirko. Staff Member Forum Administrator

I tried the search function, but as everyone knows that thing sucks.

I have a few white gis that are in good shape for the most part, no tears, but they are dirtier than I would like them to be.

I was using a regular Cheer detergent, upgraded to a Cheer that said 'whitens and brightens', not noticing much difference.

So yes, I turn to you sherdog.

I blame this lack of clothes-cleaning skill on the fact that I am a guy.

Any tips for a dirty gi?

What do you all use to clean your gis to get that bright white going?

[​IMG]

2. ChrisK1

ChrisK1 Orange Belt

3. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Thanks Mirko. Staff Member Forum Administrator

4. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

I honestly haven't found a way to get mine back white again.
    Vinegar helps get rid of odors if it gets stubbornly smelly but I didn't notice any difference in the brightness of the white.
    Im interested in what other people have to add.

5. Jim J

Jim J Purple Belt

A small bit of bleach goes a long way. It will break down the fibers some what. It's a trade off. I'll use some bleach every once in a while.

I put my gi in the machine after the bleach is mixed in with the water really well. I'm not sure if that matters, but I'd imagine dumping pure bleach on your gi would do more damage than having it dilluted first.

6. MonkeyNuts!

MonkeyNuts! Rear Naked Poker

crest whitening strips.

no dont do that.

not really sure what will work without damage to the gi. Best bet would be to pretreat w detergent, vigorous cold wash cycle, and try not to roll with bloody/dirty people.

7. shootermcgavin7

shootermcgavin7 Blue Belt

I have never tried bleaching, but for spot cleaning (like if blood gets on my gi), I use this spray-on oxyclean stuff that works great. You may want to try the powder oxyclean for the whole gi.

8. rjthakid

rjthakid White Belt

Hardcore.

9. GetBeasty

GetBeasty Orange Belt

Get a new one.

10. shootermcgavin7

shootermcgavin7 Blue Belt

Lol, I only mentioned that because it happened last night.

It haopens all the time when rolling. It is usually someone cuts their lip or gets a matburn or giburn on their arm or face. Or sometimes the high school kids bust a zit on their face open. When I wear my blue gi I would never notice, but it shows up on the white gis.

To my knowledge, no one hides razorblades in their gi to make fake WWF cuts on their forehead.

11. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

Regular wash with the recommended amount of oxy clean powder, win.

12. codysweet02

codysweet02 Brown Belt

I used the Oxyclean Gel Stick and it worked GREAT getting stains out from the knees of my Mundial 9 pants. I let them sit overnight and washed them in hot water and they looked 90% better. I highly recommend it. Let it sit a day or two on dirtier parts though. It says you can leave it up to a week or a month or something like that. I left it for 30 min and it wasnt long enough. Tried again for 24ish hours and it workes amazing.

13. Bathwater

Bathwater Let me clean you with my love

My girlfriend uses a Tide to go pen on a lot of my clothes because I eat like a 5 year old. It gets out a lot of stuff that doesn't come out in the washing machine. I don't see why it wouldn't help on a gi but it would probably take forever and sometimes you need to treat stuff a few times.

14. NextPrez

NextPrez Yellow Belt

I use Borax and have been really pleased. It is cheap, you just add it with your normal soap. It makes my gi and workout clothes smell like nothing. It also can be used as a natural household cleaner. Good bang for the buck (around $4).

15. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

16. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

I use Oxy-clean, it works pretty well. Not as well as bleach, but it's color-safe. Bleach is bad for gis.

17. akdms

akdms Blue Belt

Only thing that I found that worked in the slightest was Synthrapol from Dharma Trading. Doesn't smell the best, but the smell washes out quickly. I tried bleach, oxyclean, and sun-drying, none of which helped at all.

Still didn't come out white enough for my liking (went from looking like a grey-dyed gi to just a moderately dingy gi), so I decided to dye it blue.

18. bjornvil

bjornvil Blue Belt

I have the same problem! My Fuji is in great condition, no sign of wear after 9 months of pretty hardcore use, but it looks pretty nasty although its always clean.

I tried bleaching it... didn't do much good, and it will damage the fibers of the gi if you do it for too long.

I'm going to get a new gi soon. I'm thinking about getting a black one to have one white and one black, but I might even get a new white one and just dye the nasty white one black.

Has anyone dyed a white gi black? Is it even possible? I wouldn't mind if it would be more like a dark gray as I like the look of faded black gis :)

19. akdms

akdms Blue Belt

It's not really possible. Most black dyes are really just dark blue.

See this: Gi Dye: Jet Black (actually more of a dark blue) Lucky Gi | Steve's BJJ Blog

20. calvus

calvus Getting Crunk

Washing your gi regularly is really important - it helps stop the spread of staph & other diseases. So here's detailed instructions from a guy who has been single, been married, been single again, then married again & has 4 kids. Plus my wife wears the pants in the house & so I do all the laundry...

Anyway, I need to type this fast so I can go clean the kitchen and cook dinner. Anyone want some brownies?

OK, Here's what you should do:

1) Wash the gi immediately after each use - while any stains (blood, etc.) have not yet set in.

2) I typically take some detergent (I use Unscented Tide) or "Zout" (or a tide pen or oxy) and rub it into any spots and on the most used areas (like knees, collar, butt, etc..)

3) Wash the gi in hot water. I have 1 white & 1 blue gi, the hot water has not faded the blue gi, but I did set the color with vinegar 1st, which I think helped.

4) I will occasionally add bleach when washing my white gi - maybe once every 1-2 months. If you have a front-loading washing machine, you probably have a small compartment to add the bleach to & the machine will add it to the load at the right time. If you have a top-loader (no, not the band toploader) then follow the instructions on the bottle of bleach. Don't just pour the bleach into the washing machine...

* Do not use Fabric Softener! This will damage the fabric of the gi - besides, who wants a soft gi, you girly-man?

** Also, do not use scented detergents for the same reason - why am I explaining this?

5) Don't buy cheap detergents or bleach. The more expensive ones DO work better. Liquids work better than powders.

6) Inspect your gi for stains while it is still wet. If there are still stains that you want to get rid of, re-apply stain remover & re-wash - don't let it dry or the stain will set.

7) Hang your gi to air dry, don't use a dryer.

8) If stains have been set in and dried then you probably won't be able to get them out without some damage to the fabric. The older the stain the more you'll have to damage the fabric (with bleach or stain removers) to remove it.

Good Luck!