Cleaning a gi on the road

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm on a trip and brought my gi. Did a class last night and hung my gi to dry in the hotel afterwards but it smells (only a little). I'd prefer not to go to a laundromat on my trip. Do you think I could handwash it in the shower with a bar of soap?

I had this crazy idea to toss it in the microwave and zap it. What do you think?

Dude you can get individual packs of laundry detergent for like a dollar . You could totally wash it , drying it might be a bit of a problem though

If you microwave it, please take video

I don't think anything bad would happen, but I would legitimately enjoy watching a video of someone microwaving a gi.

I have a strong urge to microwave a gi tonight. Lord knows I have enough to spare.

My advice: Bite the bullet, go to a laundromat, & wash your damn gi like a civilized person. No one wants to roll with your stinky half-assed hand-washed gi, with just a hint of hot pockets from the microwave. Bring a book or even just your smartphone to the laundromat, the time will fly by & before you know it, you’ll have a nice fresh gi to impress all the linda jiujiteiras.

When I was in New york (trained at Marcelo's and Renzo) - I brought my travel gi. Its a storm that is pre-shrunk. I just dropped it, rash guard, spats, etc., off at a laundry mat near my hotel. Picked it up the next morning ready to go. Didn't have to hang out to switch it. Cost 7 bucks. Best money I've ever spent.

Some hotels also have pick up / drop off laundry service. I've done that as well.

I’m in the same situation kinda, I’m away for work 3 days per week only have 2 GIs I can wear due to gym rules where I train while working here. Biggest issue is I don’t have time to get to laundromat until afternoon on 3rd day, one of my GIs is a cheaper one that I bought a size too big, just gonna use the dryer and hope it doesn’t shrink too much

Dude, I did a camp last month in spartan conditions, I'd just go into the shower WITH the gi on and then go hang dry it. Worked just fine, no smells. Didn't use soap.

My advice: Bite the bullet, go to a laundromat, & wash your damn gi like a civilized person. No one wants to roll with your stinky half-assed hand-washed gi, with just a hint of hot pockets from the microwave. Bring a book or even just your smartphone to the laundromat, the time will fly by & before you know it, you’ll have a nice fresh gi to impress all the linda jiujiteiras.

Yeah you have three options, all mentioned above.

This is option 1.

Option 2 is talk to the people at your hotel front desk about laundry services and if they can accommodate you.

Option 3 is old world style hand laundry in the bathtub. Handwashing a canvas jacket that thick and sweat soaked is going to be another workout after your shower though, be ready for hard work scrubbing that thing out. Hand wringing it out before hang drying will be a good grip conditioning.

Options 1 and 2 are the best by far. I'd only go option 3 if I was loaded with time but flat broke on money and in a very isolated place with no ability to access 1 or 2. Options 1 and 2 are better for your training partners as well, if you haven't experienced hand washing gis you will probably do a terrible job of it the first few times and it may not be as clean as it could be.

Last edited:
I'm on a trip and brought my gi. Did a class last night and hung my gi to dry in the hotel afterwards but it smells (only a little). I'd prefer not to go to a laundromat on my trip. Do you think I could handwash it in the shower with a bar of soap?

I had this crazy idea to toss it in the microwave and zap it. What do you think?
Most hotels have washing machines

what kind of uncivilized bastard travels with only one gi? I had a friend (ahem) who liked to hang out with this dude and puff before Judo practice, they would puff hardcore and then hit the mat for a couple hours of hardcore randori. Threw the gis in the trunk and forgot until the next morning and when they opened the trunk it smelled like Bob Marley's ass-crack. Same thing with heavy doses of garlic. You actually sweat the stink out. Everyone should wash their gi in a bleach dilute any way to kill off the most harmful of pathogens like MRSA. the same concentration used for swimming pools wont run the dye. I always bathe in mild bleach after the gym. Just keep a bleach safe pump sprayer in your shower and rinse off after your soap cycle.

I always bought a gi that was oversized and then put it through the washer and dryer, shrink to fit but hand washing and line drying is simply not an option if you train daily. Better yet use the gi for ladies self-defense class and train giless for MMA

Last edited:
what kind of uncivilized bastard travels with only one gi? I had a friend (ahem) who liked to hang out with this dude and puff before Judo practice, they would puff hardcore and then hit the mat for a couple hours of hardcore randori. Threw the gis in the trunk and forgot until the next morning and when they opened the trunk it smelled like Bob Marley's ass-crack. Same thing with heavy doses of garlic. You actually sweat the stink out. Everyone should wash their gi in a bleach dilute any way to kill off the most harmful of pathogens like MRSA. the same concentration used for swimming pools wont run the dye. I always bathe in mild bleach after the gym. Just keep a bleach safe pump sprayer in your shower and rinse off after your soap cycle.

I always bought a gi that was oversized and then put it through the washer and dryer, shrink to fit but hand washing and line drying is simply not an option if you train daily. Better yet use the gi for ladies self-defense class and train giless for MMA
Gis take up a lot of space. It's impractical to bring more than one.

I just went to a laundromat yesterday. Now I have to wait for my chin to heal from trying to defend chokes. Looks like I tripped on my roller skates.

Gis take up a lot of space. It's impractical to bring more than one.

I just went to a laundromat yesterday. Now I have to wait for my chin to heal from trying to defend chokes. Looks like I tripped on my roller skates.
I can't stand the kinds of fruit cakes who show up to the gym smelling like they're going out on a date, despite claiming they read the gym rules I had some new guys show up to the MMA gym recently with gel in their hair. what morons, but seriously if anyone wants to consistently roll in a gi they should have at least three of them so they can alternate and don't have to do laundry so frequently, besides they double as great pajamas.
I'm an old judo guy so I still like to get some randori in but I can't figure out why anybody interested in MMA exclusively wants to train in a gi

I can't stand the kinds of fruit cakes who show up to the gym smelling like they're going out on a date, despite claiming they read the gym rules I had some new guys show up to the MMA gym recently with gel in their hair. what morons, but seriously if anyone wants to consistently roll in a gi they should have at least three of them so they can alternate and don't have to do laundry so frequently, besides they double as great pajamas.
I'm an old judo guy so I still like to get some randori in but I can't figure out why anybody interested in MMA exclusively wants to train in a gi
I prefer no gi, but if I only did no gi then I wouldn't be able to participate in as many classes.

Back