Cleaned out division and retired on top as Champ = GSP = GOAT

GSP is an all-time great, and I think it'd be reasonable for someone to consider him the best ever. I don't, but it can be difficult to avoid knocking a guy in a thread like this when one's opinion is "I think he's great, I just don't think he's the greatest." So, to emphasize, I absolutely think GSP was great. I also think he lost to Hendricks and that his decision to "take a break" at that time is off-putting. He was finished twice in (or around) his prime - once to another all-time great in Hughes, but once to a guy who had no business in the cage with him in Serra. He didn't finish fights, which doesn't necessarily mean he isn't great by any means, but it matters to me to an extent. And I think that while he fought a lot of killers, his level of competition, to me, has always been a bit overrated. Not egregiously, so, but a bit.

So, yes, he was absolutely great. Was he greater than Jones, Anderson, Fedor and Aldo? That I'm not too sure about.

Thank you. I wish more people here made such comprehensive posts regardless of the side they were debating.

Most if not all of GSP wins are quality opponents. Fedor fought a bunch of cans in Pride.

You think they were cans because once Fedor dismantled them he took their soul.

So who was on top of the UFC at that time? Tim Sylvia. Look at how fast Fedor took care of the former UFC champion. Fedor was years ahead of his time.

This argument....and most of GSPs fights...

10Z07PG72mjqq4.gif

Dude's one of the greats...can we just leave it at that?

Georges is an all time great
I think his timing on retirement was good and I hope he goes on to do well in life
His lack of finishes and signature fights will always keep him from goat in my book.

In any sport you can think of the greatest guys all have a few common things....
Championships, highlights and took their sport to a new level

In all seriousness GSP was my favorite fighters for years when he was first coming up and I still remember when he beat Hughes for the first time, I was jumping off the couch, Hughes was a monster back then and ragdolled everyone.

However something changed in GSP after he lost to Serra, he was never the same, instead of fighting to win he fought not to lose and I lost respect for him for that. I actually stopped watching his fights because they were so boring and he had no killer instinct. He essentially turned into a sparring partner point fighter and IMO you can't be considered the best of all time when you arnt even displaying your best. I put Anderson, Jones, and Fedor above him.

As much as I like GSP, it's Fedor that is the GOAT.

Hendricks won the fight, that was some of the most corrupt shit ive seen in the UFC. Up there with Shogun vs Machida.

I like GSP but he got obliterated by Matt fucking Serra. And to make matters worse GSP was still in his prime when that happened. If he were on the downside then that loss could be easily overlooked, but he wasn't.

Jon Jones is the GOAT currently.

How the fuck is he in his prime there, when he doesn't lose another fight for six years after, dominating almost every opponent on the way?

I pick Fedor as goat, but I can see this logic and feel gsp is #2. Jon Jones could be goat soon tho if he pulls his nose out of his ass

One more thing. Even though I scored it 48-47 Hendricks, please stop talking about that fight as some major screwjob. The first round narrowly goes to Hendricks IMO and the other four are split 2-2. So it's one round we are talking about. Lot of people drinking Danas kool aid about that fight.

Hendricks won the fight, that was some of the most corrupt shit ive seen in the UFC. Up there with Shogun vs Machida.

It wasn't corrupt, it came down to Round 1, and I while agree that Hendricks should have won that round (despite many people shamelessly trying to piece together some argument as to why GSP deserved that round), it was still close enough to understand how 2 of the judges could have gotten it wrong which does happen sometimes (like the Dariush/Johnson fight)

Hendricks should have gotten the decision but you have to understand when it's close it leaves the door open for the judges to get it wrong (like Penn/Edgar I for example). Pearson/Sanchez on the other hand was a true robbery. Sanchez simply got outclassed and I'm not saying it was corruption but I wouldn't be too surprised.

The result should've AT LEAST been a draw. And that's at the very least and including poor judging. It was pretty clearly a Hendricks victory. Overall more effective and should've won 3 rounds to GSP's 2.

And I'm still pissed about Yamasaki stopping the fight over a mouthpiece when Hendricks had GSP rocked.

GSP was gifted that victory and STILL hasn't had a rematch with Hendricks.

One more thing. Even though I scored it 48-47 Hendricks, please stop talking about that fight as some major screwjob. The first round narrowly goes to Hendricks IMO and the other four are split 2-2. So it's one round we are talking about. Lot of people drinking Danas kool aid about that fight.

Sometimes a round can be close but still clear cut as to who the winner should be.

I think that applies to Hendricks/GSP. Round 1 was close but there's no real argument that GSP did as good or better than Hendricks in that round. Hendricks had a small but decisive advantage. A lot of other times a round may be close and you can argue the round for either guy and not be wrong. But I don't see it here.

Of course the judges don't really have the advantage of watching a round over and over again, they just have to go on their initial impression and so I agree with you it wasn't a major screw job. When a round is close, sometimes the judges will get it wrong and we just have to live with it.

It wasn't corrupt, it came down to Round 1, and I while agree that Hendricks should have won that round (despite many people shamelessly trying to piece together some argument as to why GSP deserved that round), it was still close enough to understand how 2 of the judges could have gotten it wrong which does happen sometimes (like the Dariush/Johnson fight)

Hendricks should have gotten the decision but you have to understand when it's close it leaves the door open for the judges to get it wrong (like Penn/Edgar I for example). Pearson/Sanchez on the other hand was a true robbery. Sanchez simply got outclassed and I'm not saying it was corruption but I wouldn't be too surprised.

Yeah it wasnt as bad as some Sanchez robberies we have seen over the years but it was still pretty bad. Thing is, i dont need a judge to tell me who won. Whether its incompetence or corruption, either way there have been some seriously fucked up decisions in the UFC.

It's too bad you feel the need to knock down other great fighters in an effort to defend the great fighter you like most.

It's too bad you feel that speaking of fights going to a decision is knocking a fighter. I feel it's a valid comparison. When was the last time Hendricks had a finish? Am I knocking Hendricks by just making the point that it's sometimes hard to finish guys at the top?

Lazy thinking on your part.

The result should've AT LEAST been a draw. And that's at the very least and including poor judging. It was pretty clearly a Hendricks victory. Overall more effective and should've won 3 rounds to GSP's 2.

And I'm still pissed about Yamasaki stopping the fight over a mouthpiece when Hendricks had GSP rocked.

GSP was gifted that victory and STILL hasn't had a rematch with Hendricks.

LOL you crack me up.

GSP lost in his prime. Ronda has been more dominant in her division, she has a stronger GOAT claim than GSP.

If we're talking who is the actual greatest fighter of all time, I'm pretty sure Fedor would destroy both GSP and Ronda in a fight.

Horrible post.

The saddest I ever felt for anyone in mma was Johnny Hendricks. I believe he won that fight and even winning the belt later didn't "matter" as they stole his moment there. I remember watching that in a bar and thinking man they totally robbed you of what would have been a big career achievement for you.

GSP is my all-time favorite. I miss him. :(

Same here but I don't care if he is considered greatest of all time or not. I am not certain he was but who gives a shit? He was the best ever in his weight class and there isn't really anything negative anyone can say about him as a human being, a total class act. Good enough for me.

On the subject of the GSP vs Hendricks fight, I believe it should have been a 10-10 first round and therefore a draw, and GSP keeps the title and retires anyway and Hendricks still doesn't get the title. Too bad for him. Again, who gives a shit*, unless you were supposed to get a cut of Hendricks's win money?

[EDIT] That is, who gives a shit now? It's history FFS.

Back