clean high pull (clean without catch) form check

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by PWR1982, Aug 23, 2010.

1. PWR1982 Green Belt

Narrow grip video

Wide grip video

I haven't done these in ages, I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong... I think I'm not fully extending my hips, but I don't understand that... because it feels like I am extending fully. If I try to "fuck" the bar more, I always end up bumping it with my hips.

Also does it look like in either of these videos I could catch the bar (provided I have correct catching technique and can front squat it), in half squat (power clean), or at least full squat (squat clean) ?

And last question, which grip suits me better?

2. RusViking Purple Belt

Why are you using straps and not chalk? Can you even catch it with straps?

Looks to me like you would have problems catching the bar unless you do it very low oly style.

Maybe you should just try a little less weight and work your way up?

3. turbozed Red Belt

Looks like you're pulling with your arms. A good cue to stop doing this is to not look down at the bar when you're going for the first pull. Look straight forward and jump up with the bar. It will feel considerably different and somewhat unnatural, but the bar will go much higher.

4. rckvl Blue Belt

Looks too heavy and I would ditch the straps. Buutttt I have never done these and only recently started doing some power cleans, so take this with a big grain of salt.

5. Baconator69** Banned Banned

In my non expert opinion, ditch the straps get soem chalk and lessen the weight a bit.

6. Perfect Moo Blue Belt

You're extending fully, then pulling yourself down to the bar so it touches your chest. Lower the weight just a tad, and keep the full extension when you get it.

7. MASShole Get it?

Clean high pulls should be done with a max of about 10% over your clean 1RM.

Definitely lower the weight and use only the grip you use for cleans. You can do snatch grip high pulls with your snatch grip as well.

The bar should explode up to nipple or even shoulder height. You should have triple extension as well, as the first two pulls of a clean are completed.

8. ExtremeStandard Yellow Belt

Your narrow grip and wide grip look exactly the same in distance...oh and lowering the weight, and getting chalk instead of straps, and keeping a straighter posture instead of leaning into the bar as it reaches it max height would be good.

9. PWR1982 Green Belt

I live on 3rd floor, my grip was tired. I can double overhand deadlift 315 easily. I'm using straps to avoid any fear, which helps me keep good form. I will not use anything "heavy" without straps, even the slightest bump of the weight on the floor will cause me problems with neightbours - it's the reason I'm lowering the weight so slowly as you can notice.

I could power clean 220 some time ago, even back then I could probably do a 242 clean. Now I feel much better power cleaning 220, could maybe even power clean 242 on a good day, so I'm not sure if 265 is really that heavy for me.

Tomorrow I'll try looking up more, jumping, and being less over the bar as it reaches it max position. I'll also use less weight, and won't use straps. I'll post the video soon.

10. milano I am the Walrus

Chalk???? No, Stick with the straps, I have yet to meet a single weightlifting coach who prefers chalk over straps when it comes to pulls.

As for your form, you're practically doing an explosive row. Instead of fucking the bar, try to scoop it and keep your body extended instead of bending forward. As for whether you could clean that weight I'd say not likely, bar isn't coming high enough

Go for something like this:

Also here is a video of greg everett performing a clean pull

Catalyst Athletics: Exercise Video Demos and Descriptions

also an article on straps Jim Schmitz on the Lifts - Straps - What, How, Why, and When to Use Them

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  11. RusViking Purple Belt

Except that lifting with straps is kinda cheating and I would say it could be dangerous as you get a false impression that you are stronger than you are.:icon_chee

12. ASUThermo Wide Right: ╚╦╝ ○

Plus one, to all things noted by milano. Those look more like clean shrugs.

13. HONOS Yellow Belt

This is weightlifting, not powerlifting. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using straps on pulls. Firstly because they're usually done at the end of training and secondly because you don't want to be worrying about your grip while doing them, it's all about proper technique. You'll be using hook grip on your normal lifts anyway (I assume), so grip isn't that much of an issue.