1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Clean eating giving opposite effects

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Scut, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Scut

Scut White Belt

So I have a question for anyone in the know. I've been eating pretty well for the last few months and working out hard, but it has all given me the opposite effect of what I have expected.

Info: I'm 5'10 and weight 205 lbs.

I lift weights 3 times a week (SS Novice program) and work on cardio 2 days a week and have seen increases in all of my lifts and cardio endurance. But my body composition has gotten far worse over the past few months. I've gained about 15 pounds (yes it has to do with my muscle gain) but it legitimately looks like I have gained more body fat.

My normal diet consists of:

-A protein drink mixed with water, Multi, B vitamin then go to the gym.

-After working out I have another protein drink mixed with water and head to work.

-For lunch I normally eat some sort of sandwich (either tuna or lean turkey meat) a piece of fruit and a serving of vegetables.

-Another serving of fruit part way through the day.

-Supper normally consists of a protein (chicken, steak, lean ground beef etc) prepared with vegetables (carrots, water chestnuts, peppers, tomato, spinach) and some form of carb (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread). And my multi.

-Casein shake before bed, which is also mixed with water.

So I am consuming an average of 150-180 grams of protein a day and an average of 1700 calories a day, and everything else seems to be balanced out to me. I just don't understand why I seem to be gaining fat rather than losing it. Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?

2. Clam Section

Clam Section My favorite section

Clean eating or not, it still mostly comes down to the energy balance equation, i.e calories in versus calories out for fat loss. Have you had your body fat tested?

There could be a lot of things going on, but the first thing is that there is almost no way you are consuming only 1700 calories at that height and weight (unless your a just coming off a massive diet and your metabolism has adjusted).

For that amount of activity and assuming an average metabolism, your maintenance calories should be anywhere from roughly 14-16 calories per pound of body weight. That would put you at 2870 - 3280 calories per day. This will vary day to day and adjust according to activity levels, but it would be a good place to start.

How anal are you being about weighing your food?

There are many that half ass it and only find out later that they were vastly underestimating their calories.

Also, it's nearly impossible to build strictly muscle unless you're a newb. You will almost always gain a bit of fat unless you implement something like a "culking" or lean gains type approach.

Finally, your protein intake seems a little low. Typical estimates are usually 1gr per lb of body weight or even 1-1.5gr per pound of lean body mass.

3. TroySander

TroySander Orange Belt

Those two points are probably upsetting your goal. Ive been through a similar experience. Your carb intake is probably wrong and your not burning through it so it just sits around your mid section making your body composition worse. Probably best to start by seriously halving your carb intake and eating more healthy fats like nuts earlier in the day.

I think bread is one of the worst, its got very little energy and it just bloats your mid section. I believe if you skip eating bread for a few weeks you will see a major difference, I'd suggest replace it with bowl of veg.

Also eating steak quite late at night could be bad if your metabolism is not good. Takes several months for a metabolism to adjust in my experience. That steak you eat so late at night is just sitting in your stomach when you sleep and red meat takes upwards of 6hours to digest properly. That could also be affecting your composition. Eating steaks before mid day is good because your burning through it while your awake and it goes to the places in your body where its needed.

I eat brown rice and whole wheat pasta before midday I eat roughly 75-100g serving of dry mass on non workout days and 100-150g on workout days (Im 6'0, 180lbs) The rest of my carbs I get from Vegetables. I find it easier to maintain my composition with eating a lot of veg because it burns very fast in the stomach.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  4. Scut

Scut White Belt

I have not, this is a very good point.

I'm coming out of a period of shitty eating and drinking too much with no exercise. I'm a more natural 170 lbs or so, so I'm currently way over where I would normally be.

I would interested in "culking" as you say (I assume cutting while bulking), no idea how to start, so I will look it up.

I think my biggest hurdle will be replacing bread in my lunches, hard to find a way to eat sandwich meat without it. Though I can man up and eat it on its own.

Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate the outside view on things.

5. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

Why do you have to eat sandwich meat for lunch? It's generally highly processed and not as good or good for you as just a regular piece of meat. Put some hard-boiled eggs, chicken or steak in a tupperware-type container w/ some veggies

6. Scut

Scut White Belt

Main reason is I don't have a fridge or a microwave at work so anything I bring has to keep from 5am when I take it out of the fridge until noon when I can eat. But that's not a real excuse. I may start cooking an extra piece of meat with my supper and save it for my next days lunch.

So bread is really that bad eh? Now I know

7. onezendad

onezendad Blue Belt

Could try a whole grain tortilla or something along those lines. Bit less carbs than 2 slices of bread, but still holds in the sammich fixins. Place around me makes a corn & jalapeno tortilla that makes me drool.

Ive also used Romaine Lettuce leaves as a wrap sometimes when I dont want the carb load of bread or the like.

8. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

Can't you use a cooler or something like that with an ice pack?

9. Scut

Scut White Belt

I do, I have a thermos bag and I put an ice pack in the bottom but it seems to be thawed out by the time I get to it. It's not horrible or anything, I think it makes sense to start trying better meats with my lunch and I doubt they will spoil if I'm careful.

10. TroySander

TroySander Orange Belt

The general rule you can go by is if it doesnt grow out of the ground, fall of trees or you cant kill it... dont eat it. Avoiding processed food will make you drop weight very quickly.

I wouldnt go with the tortilla wraps, they are similar to bread and processed rubbish that is no good for you. Soups in a thermal flask is great. Make a big soup in a bowl that will last for a few days with all vegetables possible. I make green soups with all green veg. Its full of nutrients so it doesnt appear as much but it will fill you up because its everything your body needs and its digested really quickly.

11. jzpowahz

jzpowahz White Belt

I would recommend getting some accumeasure calipers off ebay and keep a log of your results. Then you will see how much fat you have gained/lost. Would have been good to start this 2 months ago but now is better than not at all.

At your height/weight and activity level I don't think it would be possible to put on weight with that intake (if 1700cals is correct) unless there is something funky going on with your metabolism? I am 5'8" and 163lbs and have similar activity level and I maintain at about 2300-2400 cals (aiming for 1g/lb protein).

Possibly a blood test to check thyroid?

12. turbozed

turbozed Red Belt

The simple answer is that you're probably underestimating your caloric intake.

Start tracking your foods by using fitday or equivalent logging. Weigh all your food. Calculate the amount of oil and other 'hidden' calories you use.

When you really focus on what you eat, you begin to realize how everything adds up. I did this for a couple of months and the experience was very enlightening. Granted, I was trying to gain weight and was overestimating my intake, but the main point is that just guestimating intake is completely inaccurate unless you've gone through the experience of meticulously tracking your food.

13. Scut

Scut White Belt

I do actually use fitday which is where I got the number of 1700 cal from. I usually enter in the nutritional info from the food I buy so I can be a bit more accurate than using the fitday defaults.

14. ShindoNinja

ShindoNinja faixa marrom

Are you weighing/measuring/tracking your portions? Guessing isn't good enough.

There is a huge diff between clean eating and eating "pretty healthy".

edit - just saw your post above

15. keyboardsmasher

keyboardsmasher White Belt

It doesn't add up. You're miss calculating something.

16. Scut

Scut White Belt

Everything I eat and the quantities I eat it in go into my fit day every day, along with my excercise. I know it doesn't make any sense, which is why I posted here asking what could be happening.

My weight is currently at 203lbs (weighed myself without shoes this time) and hasn't changed in a week, even after following the advice in this thread and cutting out some of my more complex carbs and upping my protein intake.

I still don't reach 2000 calories in a day, I am still seeing strength gains but I just seem to be staying the same as far as weight and body comp.

17. immovablestone

immovablestone Purple Belt

Keep doing it, and check again in a month. Impatience sucks.

18. Scut

Scut White Belt

That's fair, I think I'm just frustrated at the lack of anything happening. But it does take a lot of time, so I'll just have to wait it out. The worst thing I could do is give up.

19. Envy

Envy Silver Belt

Often a gain sizeable gain in muscle, even with minimal fat gain, will make a fat person look fatter. Getting big pecs underneath your he-hooters make you look like you have an even bigger pair of tits.

Though I can't see you gaining anything on a 1700 calorie diet. I think my 4'11" granny eats 1700 calories a day.