Claustrophobia and Jiu Jitsu

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Lor, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Lor

Lor Orange Belt

I've recently started taking jiu jitsu classes at a local gym. For the first few weeks everything was going good, but recently I've ran into a problem. Lots of times if my rolling partner has me in a tight position such as a guillotine even if I defend it, I end up tapping because I get claustrophobic from the small area my head is trapped in. Any tips?

2. FXG

FXG Orange Belt

you just have to get over it. i had this issue and had to overcome it.

try using yoga breathing techniques, they helped alot.

3. Lug's Spear

Lug's Spear Green Belt

I've experience this when I was preparing for a tournament, one of my friends and I were rolling hard and at one point he got side control and north/south and held position without me being able to escape. I started breathing rapidly and felt like I wasn't getting any air. For a couple weeks after that whenever someone had mount or was able to sit their body weight over me I would freak out. Really I would just do some light rolling in the positions that make you feel uncomfortable until it feels safe to you again.

4. Dake

Dake Blue Belt

Dude if I found that out I'd do all I could to smother you.

5. schultzmeier

schultzmeier White Belt

the worst is when their sweat soaked shirt covers your mouth and nose when they're in a position such as north/south and after a case where i couldn't breathe and the dumbass wouldn't move cause he thought i was fake tapping, i would panic and just want to tap anytime someone got north/south. you just gotta work through it...i did and i can focus and not psych myself out now.

6. Dake

Dake Blue Belt

I hate rolling with dudes who just wanna wear a t-shirt for nogi.

7. 177ark

177ark White Belt

Give up your neck or an arm so you won't have to tap to discomfort :icon_twis

8. mouthfromthesth

mouthfromthesth White Belt

I have always been VERY claustrophobic even prior to starting bjj.
    I have actually found that bjj has helped me a lot with this. The fact that all it takes to have someone get off you is a tap really helped me push through my comfort boundaries.
    One thing that i have also found to be helpful is rolling with a mouthguard in. It has made me used to just breathing through my nose and not getting flustered when my mouth is being covered. It also gives me something to grit my teeth into in times of severe frustration or panic lol.

9. Gregolian

Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

Got it today when the guy I was working with showed me how to grapevine and was having me learn how to defend it. His hoodie just got stuck to my face.

Ended up just turning my head some and it worked out ok.

10. Dake

Dake Blue Belt

Hey dude, you're in Bellingham? I'm in Oak Harbor, where do you train at?

11. Gregolian

Shayne Simpson's place just off Kentucky Street.

12. Lor

Lor Orange Belt

Thanks for all the tips guys. :D

I think I'll try out the mouthpiece and if that fails I'll just man up and get over it.

13. Dake

Dake Blue Belt

Their website makes it sound legit, maybe I'll come check it out. Thank you!

14. Gregolian

Having just started I have no idea how legit they are or not but I have fun and the guys that run the place are real approachable.

Hell, the dude that started me out in the BJJ class told me to try Muay Thai because of the size of my legs (used to ski and I'm not exactly the smallest guy in the world)

15. Dake

Dake Blue Belt

Interesting, when I was like 15 I went to a Judo dojo and they told me that I should try JuJitsu instead, because I was lanky. I tend to like places that encourage training in many martial arts.

16. Gregolian

Well, I am a Nidan in Kendo and my sensei there told me to try Aikido since the stance is similar just for fun (wasn't a big fan of it).

I think him suggesting Muay Thai to me is partly because their MMA team has like, ONE guy that weighs over 205 lbs and it makes it hard for him to train.

17. good grips

good grips White Belt

It will eventually go away, I know this cause I felt the same thing sometimes when I started training bjj. Dont worry about it

18. Bruce Calavera

Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

Really? It's that big of a problem. I understand if it's a few sizes too big and acts as a blanket but alot of us just don't have a huge collection of rash guards. A ratty old t-shirt's just way more convenient.

19. Dake

Dake Blue Belt

I should've clarified that it really only pisses me off when it's dudes in a rashguard with a big-ass T over it. Nothing like being smothered just because the guy you're rolling with is in side control.

20. tim18t

tim18t Blue Belt

Hoodie?

Where are you training? Antarctica?