Classic Tragic Fighters?

mayhem12n-4-web.jpg

Cain's clapped out, beat up old man's body is tragic.

Cain. His victories came because of the intensity with which he trained, but now that's put him on the injured list for who knows how long, possibly losing his shot at regaining the title for good.

I agree...I would also add that his intense in-your-face bravado was a significant asset in his win streak on his way to he title, but may have contributed to his losses to JDS (i.e. made it easier for him to get caught) and Werdune (i.e. he absorbed a lot of punishment from going toe to toe.

Mayhem
Filho
War Machine (although he was never the brightest bulb to began with)
Kerr
Tanner
Joe Son (tragic to the poor girl he brutally gang raped)
Saku (back when he seemed intent on getting himself killed in the ring)
Cruz was pretty close to losing everything due to a string of horrific injuries

Yeah, but the bronze he got is still impressive, Bronze at the worlds that is.
In fact he says this in quite a few interviews that coming up short in his wrestling career has been a huge driving force behind his mma career.

every fighter is a tragic figure.

a living for a lifetime of pain

Gary Goodrich - The condition he's in today beacuse of his career in MMA is pretty tragic. Given the increasingly clear causal effect of repeated head trauma, CTE, I suspect a good number of current and past UFC fighters may be facing issues down the line especially guys who like to slug it out toe to toe (Liddel, Lawler, Diego Sanchz, etc...).

For sure. He wrestled at an elite level. But he I was simply stating never the gold medal.

I understand, I just wanted to say that his accomplishments on the world stage are impressive.

In fact he says this in quite a few interviews that coming up short in his wrestling career has been a huge driving force behind his mma career.

That's interesting, do you have a link to one of those interviews? I actually find that I'm a DC fan. I'm also sure losing his daughter must've had a breaking effect on his career, Good to see he can still get himself motivated.

Denis Kang- The skills and technique of a world champion, yet completely broken mentally after the death of his fiancé. Was never the same fighter after that.

I understand, I just wanted to say that his accomplishments on the world stage are impressive.

That's interesting, do you have a link to one of those interviews? I actually find that I'm a DC fan. I'm also sure losing his daughter must've had a breaking effect on his career, Good to see he can still get himself motivated.
Look into the lead up to his fight with Jones.

I think Jones was well on his way to reaching a Tysonesque level of tragedy.

Physical prowess aside, his greatest attribute is his fearlessness. A fearlessness that allowed him, on the biggest stage of his life, to calmly and systematically dismantle a feared champion at a young age.

This same lack of caution and high risk behaviour however, became an obstacle in his ability to deal with the inevitable temptations that come with being a champion.

He seems to have made a genuine effort in turning his life around so we'll see how it goes. He also has benefited from a strong support system as he seems to come from a stable upbringing. I could just imagine how it would be if he came from a broken home. Hopefully he can get it together and avoid self destruction, because given his gifts, that would be truly tragic.

I think Jones was well on his way to reaching a Tysonesque level of tragedy.

Physical prowess aside, his greatest attribute is his fearlessness. A fearlessness that allowed him, on the biggest stage of his life, to calmly and systematically dismantle a feared champion at a young age.

This same lack of caution and high risk behaviour however, became an obstacle in his ability to deal with the inevitable temptations that come with being a champion.

He seems to have made a genuine effort in turning his life around so we'll see how it goes. He also has benefited from a strong support system as he seems to come from a stable upbringing. I could just imagine how it would be if he came from a broken home. Hopefully he can get it together and avoid self destruction, because given his gifts, that would be truly tragic.

this is exactly what I was looking for... great example

Rousimar Palharis (passion) - Has a passion for bjj....so much so that he delays the release of holds on tap...now is suspended.

Bj penn...pride..coming out of retirement to avenge the losses to edgar, and looking absolutely terrible while losing even worse.

Back