Class of 2014.... most indebted graduates ever

Engineering physics isnt a watered down engineering degree like et, I would have had to take one extra physics class (an introductory computational physics class, essentially an intro to programming) to get a degree in physics, and one or two other classes to get a degree in EE. Its essentially double majoring in physics and an engineering discipline of your choice.

I know that job was not the norm, but there are low paying engineering jobs out there. That job was looking for someone with an engineering degree, not an ep degree anyways.

Why not take the couple extra classes?

That said I haven't heard of engineering physics and I wonder if those hiring for engineering positions don't treat it like an engineering degree.

What if you cant live at home? There is no school in your hometown? Even public state schools are expensive, and if you choose to get a degree in something that actually requires a lot of work, its not easy to work more than 20 hours a week and maintain a good gpa.

This is a very rare scenario though. what percentage of the population would you say lives in metropolitan areas? Over 90%? If your living in one of those areas, you are within driving distance of a public state school. And I only worked 20 hours (well, I co-oped, so I worked 40 hours for half the year) and that amounted to 20k a year, which certainly takes care of school costs, even after taxes.

Yes some people can't do this, but I imagine that is something like less than 10% of people. Probably even smaller of a % of college students (who are the ones feeding these debt statistics) since those in incredibly rural areas don't go to college at the same rate as the general public anyway.

Last edited:
Engineering physics isnt a watered down engineering degree like et, I would have had to take one extra physics class (an introductory computational physics class, essentially an intro to programming) to get a degree in physics, and one or two other classes to get a degree in EE. Its essentially double majoring in physics and an engineering discipline of your choice.

I know that job was not the norm, but there are low paying engineering jobs out there. That job was looking for someone with an engineering degree, not an ep degree anyways.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just take the 3 extra classes and get a double major of 2 well known degrees rather than 1 degree that some people may have a negative connotation about?

But to your question, what kind of engineer is going to take that job? Mcdonalds can post a job requiring an engineering degree and pay 8 bucks for it but that doesn't mean its an engineering job. Hell, you rather as well go back to school as a PhD student for that little pay (most unis pay for your education and then give you a research/teaching stipend).

Why not take the couple extra classes?

That said I haven't heard of engineering physics and I wonder if those hiring for engineering positions don't treat it like an engineering degree.

The computational physics class was only offered during the fall when I had a scheduling conflict, so I would have had to go back this fall to finish a physics degree.

There is some overlap between the physics courses and ee courses, so I could take EM in the physics department or the ee department for the engineering physics degree, and I took it in the physics department. Its a year long course either way, and I didnt realize that the EE department wouldnt recognize the physics department version for an EE degree, so to get that degree again, I would have had to do another year. Somewhat poor planning on my part, but I would rather have taken it in the physics department anyways.

I do my best to sell the ep degree and emphasize that its not an engineering technology degree, but I do wonder about it not being recognized by some places. Many of the jobs I have applied for have engineering physics listed though. Its becoming a more popular degree.

At the same time though I could save that cash for a bigger home when I eventually move, that way I'd end up making more money by being able to buy somewhere bigger/taking a smaller mortgage than if I'd cleared off part of my loan.

I could have paid off the majority of my loans or not taken them at all but I'm way better off from buying a place rather than renting.

True. I'm not even close to considering home buying and I think my gf isn't in any rush either so that's helpful for me. I've just focused on eliminating my car loan and 09-10 student debt while saving some for emergencies. I kinda dread the day I'll have to take out a mortgage.

I just looked up the percentage of students going to college, and in 2010, 62% of high school graduates went to college. That's too many fucking people. Like Bill Maher said in this video, too many people sitting in caves drawing and not enough people going out and gathering wood. There's way too many people going for bullshit degrees than people getting practical ones.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just take the 3 extra classes and get a double major of 2 well known degrees rather than 1 degree that some people may have a negative connotation about?

But to your question, what kind of engineer is going to take that job? Mcdonalds can post a job requiring an engineering degree and pay 8 bucks for it but that doesn't mean its an engineering job. Hell, you rather as well go back to school as a PhD student for that little pay (most unis pay for your education and then give you a research/teaching stipend).

I didnt realize that it was so close to being a double major until my junior year, and by then if I had wanted to take the extra courses I would have had to add another year onto my time due to scheduling conflicts.

And, I have no idea. I was pretty blown away by it. I couldnt even imagine my reaction in a job interview if I was told the pay was 9.50 an hour.

The computational physics class was only offered during the fall when I had a scheduling conflict, so I would have had to go back this fall to finish a physics degree.

There is some overlap between the physics courses and ee courses, so I could take EM in the physics department or the ee department for the engineering physics degree, and I took it in the physics department. Its a year long course either way, and I didnt realize that the EE department wouldnt recognize the physics department version for an EE degree, so to get that degree again, I would have had to do another year. Somewhat poor planning on my part, but I would rather have taken it in the physics department anyways.

I do my best to sell the ep degree and emphasize that its not an engineering technology degree, but I do wonder about it not being recognized by some places. Many of the jobs I have applied for have engineering physics listed though. Its becoming a more popular degree.

I hate that. I double majored at my school and could've triple majored if it wasn't for a scheduling conflict and missing a course that only came around every three years. I'm still bitter about it because I really like economics and though it wouldn't have added much to my career (even though it somewhat relevant), it'd be sweet to know I have a bachelor's in it.

True. I'm not even close to considering home buying and I think my gf isn't in any rush either so that's helpful for me. I've just focused on eliminating my car loan and 09-10 student debt while saving some for emergencies. I kinda dread the day I'll have to take out a mortgage.

Yeah I wouldn't rush into anything.

As long as you save a little each month you won't have a problem by the time you decide to get one.

Yeah I wouldn't rush into anything.

As long as you save a little each month you won't have a problem by the time you decide to get one.

I think I'm blessed for my situation. I'm at an entry level salary and still able to save monthly. I think I still could save/pay of debt significantly to 30 with this same salary so the raises will only make it more manageable.

Back