clarifications on the north south position

dzl25

White Belt
Reaction score
ok at my school we put one arm in and one arm out ..1.isn't both arms inside better for control... 2. also ive experimented with joining my hands and making a fist under the opponents back is this just setting myself up for an easy reversal...3.also my legs are sprawled but ive seen it done with knees in...which is better...:D

You are talking about top N-S?
Feet or knees is fine as long as you have a wide base.
For control, it also makes no difference if you have "one arm in and one arm out", both in, both out, etc... so long as you have your hands (or your forearms) under both of their triceps.

I feel that this is one of those positions where you can actually stay rigid, and have faith that it is physically impossible for them to turn into you to escape so long as you stay rigid (similar to a proper scarf hold or S-mount).

One in, one out is convenient for chokes. I would prefer both arms out to start setting up a N-S kimura/arm bar..
I'm sure others can give more insight, but I don't see both arms in (if I'm visualizing correctly what you're saying) as being particularly useful for either control or offense.

I prefer one arm in one out because it is easier to set up the N/S choke, which is my favorite move. I also prefer knees because I use my knee to elevate the head slightly which makes sliding the arm under very easy.

ok thanks guys ...do you guys ever clasp your hands behind the opponents back and yes im talking about north south top control.

Back