News Claressa Shields Will Fully Expose MMA For What It Is

You can tell they are going easy on her. Somewhere along the line she thought she was a wrestler too. She wouldn't go for takedowns in a fight unless she found some success in the gym. What did she do when she got mounted or under under control? If they went hard on her; her response will be totally different instead of constantly going into the fire where she can be taken out of her element.

this really sounds like all the CM Punk fan boys that thought Roufsport did not do a good job training him on purpose for whatever reason. I'm sure they beat his ass off camera many times in that training room. he just wasnt that good even after he trained for years. fanboys looked to find every excuse for why he got humiliated.

you see talented bjj guys and wrestlers utilize bad gameplans all the time and fall in love with their hands. some of them actually found success with their striking in the cage.

Koscheck comes to mind. He legit kod people. of course he got beat up standing many times as well and should have focused more on his wrestling/grappling. sometimes guys say they strike more because of injuries from wrestling but often they just fall in love with their hands.

Rousey actually finished opponents with strikes. did she have a coach that gave her a bad gameplan repeatedly and might have given her false confidence in her striking ability? yes but she still finished opponents with standing strikes multiple times. when she went against better strikers of course she got humiliated but this confidence in her striking didnt come out of nowhere

shields is at a world class camp training with one of the best wmma fighters in the world. holm is a good striker and all around mma fighter.

do you think she is letting shields take her down?

lol you can tell they were going easy on her? why would they do that? what purpose would that serve?

I think she did those things because she has no mma fight i.q and she panicked while getting beat up and being mounted

you're just making more excuses for her
You have no fight IQ when your coaching is poor. Where is the technical improvement from 1st fight to 2nd? Where is her mount escape???
Watch her training. Why is she drilling side kicks and spin kicks? Why is she drilling takedowns instead of getting off the fence? Her coaching is so lax on her that they don't even correct anything wrong she does. She throws a high kick and goes back to stance super slow. They also let her call timeouts because her calf is cramping after kicking. This ain't even racial but what wrestling session you can make it through without them touching your head because you are wearing a head scarf. The coaching has to be honest if their star is ready or not. They are bringing her up too slowly which is good for a newbie but she isn't ready to fight.

this really sounds like all the CM Punk fan boys that thought Roufsport did not do a good job training him on purpose for whatever reason. I'm sure they beat his ass off camera many times in that training room. he just wasnt that good even after he trained for years. fanboys looked to find every excuse for why he got humiliated.

you see talented bjj guys and wrestlers utilize bad gameplans all the time and fall in love with their hands. some of them actually found success with their striking in the cage.

Koscheck comes to mind. He legit kod people. of course he got beat up standing many times as well and should have focused more on his wrestling/grappling. sometimes guys say they strike more because of injuries from wrestling but often they just fall in love with their hands.

Rousey actually finished opponents with strikes. did she have a coach that gave her a bad gameplan repeatedly and might have given her false confidence in her striking ability? yes but she still finished opponents with standing strikes multiple times. when she went against better strikers of course she got humiliated but this confidence in her striking didnt come out of nowhere

shields is at a world class camp training with one of the best wmma fighters in the world. holm is a good striker and all around mma fighter.

do you think she is letting shields take her down?
CM Punk was an older man who had back surgery right when he started training. He had no athletic background. He also fought smokers in their gym which he lost. There is honesty in the way they trained him when it came to that part. They didn't baby him or claimed he would be champion. His coaching made the comment that he is just new. Watch his sparring footage and tell me he is ready? or he should fight because of the half a million dollars.

You have no fight IQ when your coaching is poor. Where is the technical improvement from 1st fight to 2nd? Where is her mount escape???
Watch her training. Why is she drilling side kicks and spin kicks? Why is she drilling takedowns instead of getting off the fence? Her coaching is so lax on her that they don't even correct anything wrong she does. She throws a high kick and goes back to stance super slow. They also let her call timeouts because her calf is cramping after kicking. This ain't even racial but what wrestling session you can make it through without them touching your head because you are wearing a head scarf. The coaching has to be honest if their star is ready or not. They are bringing her up too slowly which is good for a newbie but she isn't ready to fight.

whatever is online is a small glimpse of what is actually happening in that training room and what her coaches are doing

she's at a world class camp especially for wmma

should she switch camps? maybe

you can't force a fighter to be good or improve or make the right decisions in the cage no matter how well they are coached, that's what this comes down to in my opinion

CM Punk was an older man who had back surgery right when he started training. He had no athletic background. He also fought smokers in their gym which he lost. There is honesty in the way they trained him when it came to that part. They didn't baby him or claimed he would be champion. His coaching made the comment that he is just new. Watch his sparring footage and tell me he is ready? or he should fight because of the half a million dollars.

punk was training mma before the back surgery and was going to fight at ufc 199 but then had to have surgery and cancelled that fight

again, we did not see everything that went on in that gym. im sure punk felt what it is like to really spar hard and get beat up as well before he went to the ufc

not only that, after the first loss, he was able to switch camps if he wanted to. after the 2nd loss, he could have switched camps and been coached elsewhere.

it just wasn't happening

i bring him up because his fans said the same thing. he must not have been trained correctly. he was trained correctly, he just wasn't that good

she's atleast 4 inches shorter than her and 5 years younger

she also fought at 135 and 145 before this fight

she did handle shields and its a bad omen for her future in mma

also, do you think that's all they did? dance on IG? dude, does any mma fighter record and post all of their bag work, conditioning, drilling, sparring, etc?

you really think she's at a camp that has produced world champs and many other good fighters and she wasn't really training hard?

shes also a world champ in another sport and knows how hard you have to work to succeed

of course she's training hard, she just got handled, she's not naturally talented at mma and she couldnt ko her young opponent

she showed a little bit of take down defense and ground defense, she landed a good shot in the 3rd but couldn't follow up or finish her

this is against someone who is very new to fighting and not a striker

like I said, dont be suprised if shields doesnt fight mma for a very long time and doesnt fight mma much at all after this
Where are you getting this 4 inches shorter thing from? Clarissa is 1 MAYBE 2 inches taller at the most. Just look at their stand off. I time stamped it in the video below.

Abigail is the slightly smaller girl but it's not so much of a difference where Clarissa could man handle her with strength alone. So to say that Clarissa lost to a much smaller opponent is cap.

Oh no, I know and agree Abigail handled her, not denying that.

No, I don't think that's all she did at Jack Wink was dance for IG but it sure makes it look like it was all she did when she gets handled all over the ground like in this fight.

It's not just enough to train hard. You also have to be consciously making an effort to improve. I can show up to train hard every day but if I'm not putting much time into actually getting better it's pointless. Her being a world champion in another sport doesn't mean that she will carry that mindset into another sport. For all we know she walked into Jackson Wink thinking she was the shit and didn't need to try as hard to improve and succeed because she already is a world champion in boxing.

Unless you're in the gym with her, you don't know how hard she's training. Like I said above, she could have easily been going to training sessions, training hard but not really making much of an effort to improve because she already feels her world champion boxing skills is more than enough to make up for her lack of ground game. Just because she isn't a natural doesn't mean she can't improve if she makes the effort to.

The fact she had such little TDD and ground defense despite training at world class gyms with world class trainers just shows she likely wasn't putting all that much effort into learning ground game to begin with. There's no way a championship level athlete couldn't at least develop SOME kind of ground game training with the best gyms and coaches for 6 months, if they actually put the time and effort in.

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that just because she lost to Abigail doesn't necessarily mean she can't do well in the sport later on. I personally believe she isn't putting in the effort to improve for reasons I stated above. Could she maybe just suck at MMA? maybe, but it's too early to really tell right now. If she's still getting man handled in her next 2 fights then yeah, she probably just isn't good at it. There's no reason why someone like her can't improve with the resources she has.. unless she isn't putting trying to get better, or she just has absolutely no talent for ground game. {<shrug}

dude do you think people at jackson wink are taking it easy on her?

most likely we will never know how her sparring goes but I bet she does get beat up. she's just not that talented at any aspect of mma and at the same time, she landed clean punches on this little girl who it looks like was fighting a weight class up and usually fights at 145 and she couldn't really hurt her

I could be wrong but it doesnt look like she will have a long career in mma

IMO it's a bit of both. Jackson-Wink isn't that good at teaching the key fundamentals of various MMA techniques. None of their fighters have good technical get-ups when they get taken down and when it comes to throwing clean, hard punches & kicks they're not that good either. If you look at their other female fighters like Waterson or Holly, they're air punching most of the time and they don't hurt anyone with punches unless the opponent charges head first into them in full Ronda style. Holly's hard to take down because of how strong & athletic she is, but once down she's pretty poor at defending or getting back up.

And then we have Claressa, who is so fucking full of herself that I'm surprised she doesn't spontaneously explode from all the hot air she's blowing up her own ass. This is a deluded fool who thinks she has better boxing technique than Golovkin and can give him trouble in a fight. She racked up wins in the shittiest divisions in boxing and acts like she's god's gift to combat sports. If she's even 1% as conceited in the gym as she is in her interviews, she's not going to learn a damn thing.

Where are you getting this 4 inches shorter thing from? Clarissa is 1 MAYBE 2 inches taller at the most. Just look at their stand off. I time stamped it in the video below.

Abigail is the slightly smaller girl but it's not so much of a difference where Clarissa could man handle her with strength alone. So to say that Clarissa lost to a much smaller opponent is cap.

Oh no, I know and agree Abigail handled her, not denying that.

No, I don't think that's all she did at Jack Wink was dance for IG but it sure makes it look like it was all she did when she gets handled all over the ground like in this fight.

It's not just enough to train hard. You also have to be consciously making an effort to improve. I can show up to train hard every day but if I'm not putting much time into actually getting better it's pointless. Her being a world champion in another sport doesn't mean that she will carry that mindset into another sport. For all we know she walked into Jackson Wink thinking she was the shit and didn't need to try as hard to improve and succeed because she already is a world champion in boxing.

Unless you're in the gym with her, you don't know how hard she's training. Like I said above, she could have easily been going to training sessions, training hard but not really making much of an effort to improve because she already feels her world champion boxing skills is more than enough to make up for her lack of ground game. Just because she isn't a natural doesn't mean she can't improve if she makes the effort to.

The fact she had such little TDD and ground defense despite training at world class gyms with world class trainers just shows she likely wasn't putting all that much effort into learning ground game to begin with. There's no way a championship level athlete couldn't at least develop SOME kind of ground game training with the best gyms and coaches for 6 months, if they actually put the time and effort in.

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that just because she lost to Abigail doesn't necessarily mean she can't do well in the sport later on. I personally believe she isn't putting in the effort to improve for reasons I stated above. Could she maybe just suck at MMA? maybe, but it's too early to really tell right now. If she's still getting man handled in her next 2 fights then yeah, she probably just isn't good at it. There's no reason why someone like her can't improve with the resources she has.. unless she isn't putting trying to get better, or she just has absolutely no talent for ground game. {<shrug}

you said all that, all these mental gymnastics and all these assumptions

in the end, you said it

she has no talent for the ground game

its laughable to think that someone who has competed in boxing at the highest level as an amateur in the olympics and as a professional, isn't making the effort to train grappling and improve

yes, a championship level, A 1 athlete or whatever you want to call her, could not develop a decent ground game at all compared to a very average young fighter who handled her and was about to finish her at the end of the 3rd

she's not that good, period

being good at boxing doesnt mean you can become good at wrestling and grappling, period

you're trying to say that there's no way she could be training hard and correctly and not be decent. I think you're wrong about that and that's a common assumption people on these boards have about fighters who were accomplished athletes in other sports.

let's see what she does in the future, right now, even her striking is incredibly average and she's about below average everywhere else

IMO it's a bit of both. Jackson-Wink isn't that good at teaching the key fundamentals of various MMA techniques. None of their fighters have good technical get-ups when they get taken down and when it comes to throwing clean, hard punches & kicks they're not that good either. If you look at their other female fighters like Waterson or Holly, they're air punching most of the time and they don't hurt anyone with punches unless the opponent charges head first into them in full Ronda style. Holly's hard to take down because of how strong & athletic she is, but once down she's pretty poor at defending or getting back up.

And then we have Claressa, who is so fucking full of herself that I'm surprised she doesn't spontaneously explode from all the hot air she's blowing up her own ass. This is a deluded fool who thinks she has better boxing technique than Golovkin and can give him trouble in a fight. She racked up wins in the shittiest divisions in boxing and acts like she's god's gift to combat sports. If she's even 1% as conceited in the gym as she is in her interviews, she's not going to learn a damn thing.

well Holm punches and kicks air but has also finished a bunch of her fights with strikes. she's been trained by winkeljohn since the very beginning. I think her game plans have changed over time to play things safer

either way, shields doesnt have a high finish rate in boxing

as far as their grappling, ok. then maybe she needs to switch camps

I think most of her trash talk is just to draw attention to herself and women's boxing. no one really cares about women's boxing and the paydays aren't great.

I think that's a big reason why shes trying to transition to mma and top male boxers would never dream of risking getting humiliated in MMA

I think that anyone that has accomplished what she has knows how to prepare and is coachable. I dont believe that she goes to jackson wink and doesnt really focus on improving or that people go easy on her

she's a very gifted boxer, she's not gifted as an mma fighter at all

let's see if any of that changes

you said all that, all these mental gymnastics and all these assumptions

in the end, you said it

she has no talent for the ground game

its laughable to think that someone who has competed in boxing at the highest level as an amateur in the olympics and as a professional, isn't making the effort to train grappling and improve

yes, a championship level, A 1 athlete or whatever you want to call her, could not develop a decent ground game at all compared to a very average young fighter who handled her and was about to finish her at the end of the 3rd

she's not that good, period

being good at boxing doesnt mean you can become good at wrestling and grappling, period

you're trying to say that there's no way she could be training hard and correctly and not be decent. I think you're wrong about that and that's a common assumption people on these boards have about fighters who were accomplished athletes in other sports.

let's see what she does in the future, right now, even her striking is incredibly average and she's about below average everywhere else
You're being incredibly bias right now. Where did I ever say she was good? She's only had 2 MMA fights as of now. All I'm saying is it's TOO early to say whether she truly is just not good at MMA. If she gets handled in her next fight the same way then I'd be more than willing to agree that is the case but until then it's up in the air. No, I'm not saying there's no way she could be training hard and correctly and not be decent. I'm saying there's no way she could be training hard and correctly and not AT LEAST know the very bare minimum, and from what we saw, she couldn't even do that. Again, I'm not saying your assumption is wrong, I'm not saying my assumption is right. I'm simply saying it's a little too early to say she flat out sucks. If she still looks completely lost on the ground in her next fight, then yeah sure. She sucks.

You're being incredibly bias right now. Where did I ever say she was good? She's only had 2 MMA fights as of now. All I'm saying is it's TOO early to say whether she truly is just not good at MMA. If she gets handled in her next fight the same way then I'd be more than willing to agree that is the case but until then it's up in the air. No, I'm not saying there's no way she could be training hard and correctly and not be decent. I'm saying there's no way she could be training hard and correctly and not AT LEAST know the very bare minimum, and from what we saw, she couldn't even do that. Again, I'm not saying your assumption is wrong, I'm not saying my assumption is right. I'm simply saying it's a little too early to say she flat out sucks. If she still looks completely lost on the ground in her next fight, then yeah sure. She sucks.

she wasnt completely clueless

she did manage to get back to her feet, get a takedown, break clinches

she did get the minimum

its just not good enough

Its nothing against you, I've just heard these arguments made so much and always disagreed

I think at HW, having nfl or nba guys in their physical prime training in mma or having a really good wrestler like Gable Steveson train in mma, while they would have a better chance at success because of limited talent in those divisions, still isnt a guarantee of success or a guarantee that they would become even *decent* at certain aspects of mma

it wouldnt surprise me if Steveson for example got Kod as soon as he fought a decent striker at HW. too many variables in mma

also the constant argument that good boxers with mma gloves on would ko everyone. I disagree with that big time as well

Shields not doing well doesnt surprise me at all. if she focused on wrestling and BJJ for 1-2 years at the right camp and trained with a dutch kickboxing coach to integrate her hands with her feet, I feel like shed do much better

she hasnt shown one punch ko power, she does have power in her hands but allowed herself to get clinched too easily. boxers end up in clinches all the time, this is very bad for a striker in mma especially because once shields is in that clinch, she had no type of striking offense at all

To add to this, she is still going to box. Different stance and muscle memory and instincts are needed there.

like I said, dont be surprised if she doesnt continue to fight mma after this contract is up

she shouldnt go back in the cage for another 6 months+ in my opinion

she wasnt completely clueless

she did manage to get back to her feet, get a takedown, break clinches

she did get the minimum

its just not good enough

Its nothing against you, I've just heard these arguments made so much and always disagreed

I think at HW, having nfl or nba guys in their physical prime training in mma or having a really good wrestler like Gable Steveson train in mma, while they would have a better chance at success because of limited talent in those divisions, still isnt a guarantee of success or a guarantee that they would become even *decent* at certain aspects of mma

it wouldnt surprise me if Steveson for example got Kod as soon as he fought a decent striker at HW. too many variables in mma

also the constant argument that good boxers with mma gloves on would ko everyone. I disagree with that big time as well

Shields not doing well doesnt surprise me at all. if she focused on wrestling and BJJ for 1-2 years at the right camp and trained with a dutch kickboxing coach to integrate her hands with her feet, I feel like shed do much better

she hasnt shown one punch ko power, she does have power in her hands but allowed herself to get clinched too easily. boxers end up in clinches all the time, this is very bad for a striker in mma especially because once shields is in that clinch, she had no type of striking offense at all

To add to this, she is still going to box. Different stance and muscle memory and instincts are needed there.

like I said, dont be surprised if she doesnt continue to fight mma after this contract is up

she shouldnt go back in the cage for another 6 months+ in my opinion
Yeah, I do agree she should just go and train grappling for a little while before even thinking about fighting again in MMA. Well yeah, of course just because you were a world class athlete in another sport doesn't mean you can be good in any sport. Greg Hardy is a good example of that. Like I said before too, I don't think the ego's of these guys or the coaches gassing them up for being successful in other sports helps them much either.

Yeah, I do agree she should just go and train grappling for a little while before even thinking about fighting again in MMA. Well yeah, of course just because you were a world class athlete in another sport doesn't mean you can be good in any sport. Greg Hardy is a good example of that. Like I said before too, I don't think the ego's of these guys or the coaches gassing them up for being successful in other sports helps them much either.

we can argue Hardy was already older and played a full career of h.s and college football as well as basketball and track and field I believe plus 5 years or so in the NFL and I think some arena football as well and probably battled quite a few injuries in that time and even for a H.W got a very late start in mma but he did destroy pretty much everyone he fought until he got into the ufc and has shown he's decent but nowhere near the top of a division that is criticized for not having much talent

the ego thing is what I question as well

I dont think Shields or other athletes like her have this huge crazy ego and can't be coached. I dont believe she was so naturally gifted she didnt have to get beat up at some point and accept coaching

I dont think shes so arrogant to believe that she doesnt need to train grappling hard and improve her grappling especially after her first fight where she ended up in terrible positions and from what I remember, it seemed like she was losing until the finish came

but whatever, time till tell with her career

Worse than age, athletics, and being new is that he is not a natural fighter at all. The guy probably got beat up in high school. He looks like a girl that has never thrown a punch in her life would throw in the gym.

There are some hard men in the WWE, he ain't one of em

Worse than age, athletics, and being new is that he is not a natural fighter at all. The guy probably got beat up in high school. He looks like a girl that has never thrown a punch in her life would throw in the gym.

There are some hard men in the WWE, he ain't one of em
I agree. There is not much athletic base but people are comparing him to Shields. With CM Punk it is the failure of the athletic's ability rather than coaching. He knows to put the opponent in guard. When he was in someone's side control; he knew how to go for an underhook, he tried to use frames, knee shield, control posture and fight hands when someone got his back. He has an idea what to do but he is just physically not there and he has very little mat time as opposed to someone like Mickey Gall. He got mauled plain and simple. Second fight the gameplan was obviously was to try to the ground. They had a gameplan even though CM Punk couldn't execute it well. Did we see him try to punch when someone mounts him?

Shields did not show us that she knew what an underhook was. What was their gameplan? Not jab and throw big overhand rights? You need to stay up to do that so at least show us you can get off the ground. Shields tries to take her opponent down after being taken down. Does she know how to kick the opponent off and technical standup? CM punk at least tried that when taken down. Is punching when mounted indicative of correct coaching? You can say she is freaking out but that is indicative not being put in that position enough. It's either the coaching isn't there or she didn't train enough on the mats.

Back