Law Citizenship Question on 2020 Census CANCELLED

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by JamesRussler, Apr 24, 2019.

1. JamesRussler

JamesRussler You can call me Jimmy Double Yellow Card

Yes. The Conservative Supreme Court is poised to allow a citizenship question on the 2020 census.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/04/23/politics/supreme-court-census-question-oral-arguments/index.html

The Constitution requires a census every 10 years to determine the number of PEOPLE living in each state, not the number of CITIZENS! We allocate House seats and electoral votes based on the number of PEOPLE residing in the states, not the number of CITIZENS!

Because of this citizenship question, more undocumented citizens will refuse to answer the census, with mucho-undocumented states (such as CA and NY) receiving fewer seats in the House, and fewer electoral votes. This citizenship question is clearly designed to disenfranchise undocumented citizens and deprive them of the representation in Congress!

That’s why a coalition of states sued POTUS Trump and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross to stop them from putting the citizenship question. They have no right to ask! It’s none of your business who is a citizen! Fuck off Nazi scum!

Sadly, there are 5 Conservative judges on the Supreme Court, and they appear unwilling to rein in the Trump administration’s egregious overreach. This is probably one of the worst things ever to happen in our time. It’s like the Trail of Tears all over again.

The SCOTUS opinion will come out around June.

Thoughts? Discuss.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. BudKing8806

BudKing8806 Brown Belt

I'm disappointed. I'm disgruntled. I'm another dis word that I don't even know.

3. EradiatedHaggis

EradiatedHaggis Banned Banned

<Fedor23>

It worked for the first near 200 years of the life of the nation. We had it until the 1950s.

uppercutbus, glenwo2 and JamesRussler like this.
  4. JamesRussler

I can’t even

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Belt

So racist. So bigoted. So evil

6. JDragon

JDragon #StayTheFuckHome Platinum Member

I don't see a problem there.

Why don't you get rid of the race question instead?

JonesBones, lilelvis, Sohei and 2 others like this.
  7. vengeful

vengeful Brown Belt

What's stopping non-citizens from lying and saying they're a citizen exactly? Or just refusing to answer that 1 question?

8. Kitafuji

Kitafuji Brown Belt

The question is fair and needed.

9. Dirt Road Soldier

Dirt Road Soldier All Praise To The Gun!

Nothing at all. You aren't even required to fill it out, let alone fill it out honestly.

glenwo2 likes this.
  10. woodguyatl

woodguyatl Brown Belt

I’m racking my brain to think of some other things that we had for a long time that we don’t anymore.

In the end, this issue will prove less important than the end of gerrymandering.

LangfordBarrow likes this.
  11. woodguyatl

woodguyatl Brown Belt

It hasn’t been enforced since 1970 but completing the census is legally required and not doing so can get you a $5000 fine.

12. Caudillo

Caudillo Banned Banned

Your wife has had bigger than you in her past
    Birthright citizenship needs to be taken up next.

And so should mass deportations

JonesBones, uppercutbus, Dr J and 2 others like this.
  13. Gunny

Gunny Gold Belt

That probably comes after the question of whether non-citizens should count when apportioning congressional districts and the electoral college. Currently they do which means votes in heavy non-citizen districts and states effective count for more than those of everyone else.

14. Culombo

Culombo Brown Belt

not that big of a deal .. people can just lie or not answer it .. I heard on the news that something like 17% had answered that question when it was included from 1971-2000

glenwo2 likes this.
  15. JamesRussler

Technically the law requires people to complete the census form and complete it truthfully, though it’s my understanding that the law hasn’t been enforced strictly.

glenwo2 likes this.
  16. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

It's irrelevant to the Census. But that's a different question from if they can add it. There might be some legitimacy to the concern about under-reporting.

The Constitution says the Census is to record the number of "Persons" in a state so as to allocate Representatives, including 3/5ths for slaves. That's in the same area where they clearly delineate "Citizen" as a prerequisite to being a Representative. I think it's clear that "Person" and "Citizen" aren't meant to be the same thing as far as counting for Representative allocation. It's about how many people are in your state, not how many citizens. And so any voter based argument seems moot to me.

Accuracy is the most important element. I haven't read the briefs, I'd be curious about the data supporting the assertion that the question will result in underreporting.

Hungry Joe, Higus and ChainFlow like this.
  17. Farmer Br0wn

Farmer Br0wn Farmer Br0wn belt

If accuracy is of the utmost importance, wouldn't it be helpful to accurately know how many illegal immigrants live in any particular area?

There's absolutely no reason this data shouldn't be collected.

uppercutbus, glenwo2 and JamesRussler like this.
  18. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Not for the Census. The Census, per the Constitution, doesn't care at all about anything except the total number of people.
    https://www.census.gov/history/pdf/Article_1_Section_2.pdf

Race, age, gender, etc. are all irrelevant. Head count is what matters.

Also, legal residents (green card holders) are not citizens.

Higus likes this.
  19. JamesRussler

Let’s set aside the substance of these policy judgments and instead focus on who is allowed to make them. Under the Census Act, Congress authorized Wilbur Ross, as Secretary of Commerce, to administer the census, and nowhere have they disallowed use of a citizenship question. He was vested with a wide range of discretion about how to accomplish that goal. By contrast, Congress has, since 1976, prohibited mandatory questions about religion on the census form. So if Congress has authority to vest and divest the Commerce Secretary of discretion in administering the census, why should the Court step in?

20. Farmer Br0wn

Farmer Br0wn Farmer Br0wn belt

If the census asks any question at all beyond simple head count, then their is no justifiable reason not to ask about citizenship status.

We use the census to compile all kinds of data about our population. This is just another data point. The resistance to this notion is disproportionate to the actual importance of the data that will be compiled.