Citi becomes first big bank to press clients to restrict gun sales

I hear you on that. If they said "we have a moral problem with gun sales, so we will no longer issue loans to companies that sale guns." Fine, I can get that.

Some moral problems are OK to base policy on. Others aren't. At least that's what we are told.

I've been watching for more than 30 years of gun panic in the US. It has been interesting. I'm sure I'll get to see at least 30 more.

So? Don't have to be a conservative to value civil liberties. Or do ya'?

Might be. The two most important civil liberties (the 1st and 2nd protected rights) are being attacked from the left these days.

Might be. The two most important civil liberties (the 1st and 2nd protected rights) are being attacked from the left these days.

Sadly. They sure stand up real good for Muslims though and their own right to broadcast opinion. And neither side gives a fuck about getting internet data sucked up by the feds or civil asset forfeiture. Real shit-show all around in my opinion. Might as well be quartering troops. :eek::D

Sadly. They sure stand up real good for Muslims though and their own right to broadcast opinion. And neither side gives a fuck about getting internet data sucked up by the feds or civil asset forfeiture. Real shit-show all around in my opinion. Might as well be quartering troops. :eek::D

Indeed. There's an authoritarian problem from both the left and right using the apparatus of state power to counter the other side while fucking everyone else over in the process. With that said, I'm as concerned for a left leaning coup of government as I am of a right leaning overreaction to establish "law and order" in order to prevent it.

With that said, I'm as concerned for a left leaning coup of government as I am of a right leaning overreaction to establish "law and order" in order to prevent it.

I'm maintaining faith in the system of checks and balances.

Me personally, because it's my hobby and I can. I'm all for everyone's right to self/community-defense.

Yeah, I haven't seen you explicitly say you'd ever use it for what I was alluding to.

With respect to the checks and balances you mentioned, I think its pretty undeniable that the enumerated protected rights that were explicitly codified in the founding document have, if anything, just slowed their erosion, no? I trust checks and balances to secure my liberties like I trust my ex holding a 45lb weight over my ball sack.

Yeah, I haven't seen you explicitly say you'd ever use it for what I was alluding to.

With respect to the checks and balances you mentioned, I think its pretty undeniable that the enumerated protected rights that were explicitly codified in the founding document have, if anything, just slowed their erosion, no? I trust checks and balances to secure my liberties like I trust my ex holding a 45lb weight over my ball sack.

I'm not sure rights have eroded more than they've been expanded (via incorporation). But I'm no legal scholar.

I'm not sure rights have eroded more than they've been expanded (via incorporation). But I'm no legal scholar.

Really? I mean there's actually a doubt in your mind that we haven't had our liberties significantly eroded even in the last decade?

Really? I mean there's actually a doubt in your mind that we haven't had our liberties significantly eroded even in the last decade?

I'm also imagining state laws over the course of the nation's history. Not professing to know how to weigh it all out.

Wells Fargo CFO says government, not banks, should set gun policy

NEW YORK, April 13 (Reuters) - Wells Fargo & Co believes the U.S. government, rather than banks, should set rules to promote gun safety, its finance chief said on Friday.

The No. 3 U.S. lender has been talking to customers who legally manufacture firearms, but is “not currently setting policy in our extension of credit,” Chief Financial Officer John Shrewsberry said during a call with reporters.

Major financial firms have been under pressure from gun-control activists to limit their support for firearms makers and retailers since 17 people died in a school shooting in Florida in February.

Citigroup Inc, for instance, last month slapped restrictions on new clients in the retail sector who sell guns, such as having the retailers require customers to pass background checks.

In addition, Bank of America plans to stop lending to companies that make military-style firearms for civilians, a Bank of America executive said this week.

However, Wells Fargo believes solutions should come from the government, Shrewsberry said.

“The best way to make progress on these issues is through the political and legislative process,” he said. “In the meantime, Wells Fargo is engaging our customers that legally manufacture firearms and other stakeholders on what we can do together to promote better gun safety in our communities.”

Wells Fargo, based in San Francisco, has been reaching out to clients in the consumer firearms industry to make sure they hear input the bank has received from other customers, investors, employees and citizens, according to materials provided by a spokesman.

The bank also routinely analyzes customers from a risk-management perspective, suggesting that its relationship with gunmaker clients could change in the future.

https://in.reuters.com/article/well...not-banks-should-set-gun-policy-idINL1N1RQ1B1

Sensible of Wells Fargo. Might just set themselves up nicely to take over from Citi and BOA as the banking choice for gun manufactures and businesses and there's a lot of money in that market.

When the banks are on your side, morally, you're probably on the wrong side.

Back