Media Ciryl Gane on his fight with Volkov

I like Volkov ....But Reem looked like shit in that fight

Seems like a cool guy, respectful and humble

If he can get passed Volkov, and maybe fight once or twice more, seeing him and Francis square off would be a sight.

I want to see him fight Ngannou next if he wins

Nothing against Volkov, but for the future of the division, I hope Ciryl makes quick work of him.

For some Sherdog reason, Bon Gamin is currently perceived as a boring decisionerer because he was careful against fellow elite kickboxer Rozenstruik, since he wanted to make sure he wouldn't pull an Overeem... and as Sakai proved in Roz's next fight, getting finished at 4.59, he was right to be cautious...

But if he finishes Volkov, in a few years new sherdoggers (who will swear that it's their 10th account, and that they've been following the sport since UFC 1) will tell you that there was no such thing as a period of time when Gane was perceived as boring, just like there was no period of time when Anthony Pettis was perceived as the n°1 all time LW and P4P candidate, same for Woodley at WW or Weidman at MW...

My current dream match up at HW is the clash between the 2 students of Fernand Lopez sensei , Francis Ngaaaaaannou who seeked stardom and abandoned his old mentor who got him off the mean streets of Paris to train in the US insteand;
and Fernand's good student, the faithful and down-to-earth Bon Gamin, the Good Kid Ciryl Gaaaaaaane , who will honor his master by taking the belt and bringing it back to the Paris based MMA FACTORY

Cool story, sherbros?

Nothing against Volkov, but for the future of the division, I hope Ciryl makes quick work of him.

For some Sherdog reason, Bon Gamin is currently perceived as a boring decisionerer because he was careful against fellow elite kickboxer Rozenstruik, since he wanted to make sure he wouldn't pull an Overeem... and as Sakai proved in Roz's next fight, getting finished at 4.59, he was right to be cautious...

But if he finishes Volkov, in a few years new sherdoggers (who will swear that it's their 10th account, and that they've been following the sport since UFC 1) will tell you that there was no such thing as a period of time when Gane was perceived as boring, just like there was no period of time when Anthony Pettis was perceived as the n°1 all time LW and P4P candidate, same for Woodley at WW or Weidman at MW...

My current dream match up at HW is the clash between the 2 students of Fernand Lopez sensei , Francis Ngaaaaaannou who seeked stardom and abandoned his old mentor who got him off the mean streets of Paris to train in the US insteand;
and Fernand's good student, the faithful and down-to-earth Bon Gamin, the Good Kid Ciryl Gaaaaaaane , who will honor his master by taking the belt and bringing it back to the Paris based MMA FACTORY

Cool story, sherbros?
What that decision win suggested was Bon Gamin can stick to a game plan and remain cool for all five rounds. Crowd and Dana White won’t affect him.

Also, that fight was not boring at all. I love the way Gane moves for such a big dude.

This guy fucking rocks. Rooting for him. He should be underdog. Volkov has the experience advantage. War Gane!

Edit: Gane's a slight favorite and has a minor reach advantage.

Last edited:
Volkov gonna whup this dudes ass. Gane looks ok so far but this is a big step up

Who has Volkov beat? You can already argue Gane has more impressive wins than Volkov.

Overeem - cut
Walt Harris - about to be cut
Greg Hardy - really?

This is going to be a great fight for both guys imo and I'm happy they took it. Gane knows he is still a few fights away from a title shot so why not stay active.

Ganes leg kicks are going to be an issue in this one imo

Who has Volkov beat? You can already argue Gane has more impressive wins than Volkov.

Overeem - cut
Walt Harris - about to be cut
Greg Hardy - really?

This is going to be a great fight for both guys imo and I'm happy they took it. Gane knows he is still a few fights away from a title shot so why not stay active.

Ganes leg kicks are going to be an issue in this one imo
Really?! lol, Gane has Rozey and out of date JDS.

Volkov has a bunch of legit wins on his record, he's been the Champ in like 2 or 3 different promotions.
Overeem, Werdum, Roy Nelson, Blagoy.

I'm not gonna say Volkov wins, but the resume is waaaay better.

The speed difference will be the key factor here. Volkov is good and powerful but he ain't exactly the flash. Gane will dance around him, jab his face and chop his leg without barely taking a shot. He might even be bigger than Volkov though both guys are massive. I'm bummed that one of them (Volkov most likely) has to lose.

I think the same bro, the way he moves is the key imo

Volkov has a bunch of legit wins on his record, he's been the Champ in like 2 or 3 different promotions.

Sadly his UFC resume IMO is better. Rozen and JDS are better than Greg Hardy, Walt fucking Harris and Overeem. Not by much mind you.

And of course Volkov has a bigger resume outside of the promotion, that feeds into the intrigue with Gane and his 15 some odd pro fights. Its spectacular what he's been able to do so far.

Regardless, MMA math / resume matching never works out anyways. I think stylistically Gane can present some major problems for Volkov. I put 50$ on Gane, we shall see how it plays out.

Sadly his UFC resume IMO is better. Rozen and JDS are better than Greg Hardy, Walt fucking Harris and Overeem. Not by much mind you.

And of course Volkov has a bigger resume outside of the promotion, that feeds into the intrigue with Gane and his 15 some odd pro fights. Its spectacular what he's been able to do so far.

Regardless, MMA math / resume matching never works out anyways. I think stylistically Gane can present some major problems for Volkov. I put 50$ on Gane, we shall see how it plays out.
Well yeah maybe if you just include UFC wins, that wasn't what you initially said though .

Not arguing with anything else you said both fighters are legit imo, but there's no reason not to include Volks wins against good competition outside the UFC when comparing résumés.

I want Gane vs Stipe assuming he wins. Gane can fight stipe in 3-4 months time then the winner vs the winner ngannou and lewis. Stipe needs to fight a decent up and comer.

Am routing for Cyril but i was disappointed with his last performance, he seems he's turning into a boring fighter.
Let's see what's going to happen in this next fight, he can definitely take the win.

If you consider 2021 Overeem as a legit win for Volkov, then IMO 2020 JDS should be one too...

Still, Ciryl Gane is obviously lacking when it comes to elite wins, I don't think anyone is saying the contrary.
On the other hand, he didn't struggle at all in his 5 UFC bouts, which is impressive.

What's interesting when it comes to him, is that he was signed by the UFC after only 3 fights in some Québécoise promotion, TKO

That promotion allowed him to get a couple good fights right off the bat, not MVPing around...

Gane's win over the, at the time top prespect, 8-0, 8 KOs (+ 5-0 as an amateur; 3 KOs, 2 decision) Adam "Kung Fu Panda" Dyczka, whom he defended the TKO belt against, was kind of a big deal at the time.

Dyczka, who sadly has never fought again in MMA after his 2018 loss to Gane, and crossed over to boxing, in which he's currently 3-0
)
was a top prospect from Québec, "the next big thing at HW" and all; at the time, Gane attracted a lot of attention by laying a beatdown on poor Kung Fu Panda
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/ciryl-gané-next-big-thing-at-hw.3895541/
Dat Hype!!!
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/kung-fu-panda-is-the-next-big-thing.3674757/

Let's hope he keeps winning in the boxing ring https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/891023 if he truly felt that MMA wasn't for him after that destruction by Bon Gamin

The full fight against Dyczka starts at 18.30

... and Gane was only the second man to vanquish Roggers "The Tiger" Souza (10-3 in MMA, not UFC caliber but far from a complete can)

ANYWAY
All this crap to say that while Gane doesn't have many elite wins, he also has 5 wins in the UFC, and didn't struggle one bit in any of them.
And before MMA, he was undefated in Muay Thai, with wins over the likes of Yassine Boughanem, the brother of one on Muay Thai's greatest farangs, the 160 lbs Rajadamnern & Lumpinee stadiums
(I think he's the only farang to have been a champ in both stadiums)
Champion Youssef Boughanem

ps: contrary to what the title might lead one to believe, Gane and Yassine only fought once. "Duel 2"
was simply the name of the event.

Bon Gamin should get a title shot if he beats Volkov, but I a have a feeling that, in true Sherdog fashion, his win over Volkov will later be considered as a
"meaningless beat down of an overrated journeyman with double digit losses, am I supposed to be impressed by Gane beating some Bellator reject whose best wins are old-ass chinless Werdum & steroidless Overeem?" <Fedor23>

Last edited:
If you consider 2021 Overeem as a legit win for Volkov, then IMO 2020 JDS should be one too...

Still, Ciryl Gane is obviously lacking when it comes to elite wins, I don't think anyone is saying the contrary.
What's interesting when it comes to him, is that he was signed by the UFC after only 3 fights in some Québécoise promotion, TKO

(Including a win over the, at the time top prespect, 8-0 (+ 5-0 as an amateur) Adam "Kung Fu Panda" Dyczka, whom he defended the TKO belt against

who sadly has never fought again in MMA after his 2018 loss to Gane... I had my eye on Panda for a while as a good HW from Québec, for after that loss he crossed over to boxing, in which he's currently 3-0
)
Dat Hype!!!
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/kung-fu-panda-is-the-next-big-thing.3674757/

... and Gane was only the second man to vanquish Roggers "The Tiger" Souza (10-3 in MMA, not UFC caliber but not a complete and utter can either)

ANYWAY
All this crap to say that while Gane doesn't have many elite wins, he also has 5 wins in the UFC, and didn't struggle one bit in any of them.
And before MMA, he was undefated in Muay Thai, with wins over the likes of Yassine Boughanem, the brother of one on Muay Thai's greatest farangs, the 160 lbs Rajadamnern & Lumpinee stadiums
(I think he's the only farang to have been a champ in both stadiums)
Champion Youssef Boughanem

Bon Gamin should get a title shot if he beats Volkov, but I a have a feeling that, in true Sherdog fashion, his win over Volkov will be considered as a "meaningless beat down of an overrated journeyman" <Fedor23>
Nah rubbish, JDS was on a losing streak of getting smashed 3 times in a row by some heavy fucking hitters before fighting Gane, Overeem was almost a title contender and arguably should have been on a 5 fight win streak when Volkov beat him.

He said you could argue that Gane has better wins than Volkov... That's simply not true no matter how you spin it.

Who ever wins it's a top top win on the resume.

I also appreciate the work you put into your post to list some of Gane's lesser talked about wins.

Last edited:
Nah rubbish, JDS was on a losing streak of getting smashed 3 times in a row by some heavy fucking hitters before fighting Gane, Overeem was almost a title contender and arguably should have been on a 5 fight win streak when Volkov beat him.
How did Overeem do against the 3 guys on JDS losing streak? What are his recent wins? Nothing better than JDS.

He said you could argue that Gane has better wins than Volkov... That's simply not true no matter how you spin it.
Volkov has more wins, but not really top ranked.
Overeem/Harris/Hardy is not better than
Rozenstruik/JDS/Boser.
Arguably, Rozenstruik is the best of that bunch.

How did Overeem do against the 3 guys on JDS losing streak? What are his recent wins? Nothing better than JDS.

Volkov has more wins, but not really top ranked.
Overeem/Harris/Hardy is not better than
Rozenstruik/JDS/Boser.
Arguably, Rozenstruik is the best of that bunch.
Doesn't matter, i'm not trying to MMA Math here, I think it's fairly obvious the way Overeem was fighting that he was a far more relevant fighter than JDS was in their last few years in the UFC. Aleksei, Sakai, Harris were ranked, Pavlovich was an unbeaten hot prospect and he was a second away from beating Bigi Boy... JDS has arguably had one relevant win since 2014, maybe 2.. I can't believe I have to explain this shit.

Again you are just looking at his UFC career, that is stupid. {<BJPeen}
It's embarrassing people trying to change goal posts and justify Gane's resume over Volkov's, stop it lol.

Last edited:

[...]

I also appreciate the work you put into your thread to list some of Gane's lesser talked about wins.
First, thanks a lot about the compliments l@nd0 I've since edited my post to add the actual fights, and more info about Panda Dyczka, a guy I really thought would have a shot at the big leagues with his crisp hands (for HW at least) and iron chin.

For the first part of your post, fair enough, even if I had to look up fightfinder to get reminded why Overeem arguably won his last fight... and ok, the Roz KO was right in the middle :D
That fight really pissed me off, since Overeem had clearly established that he was the better fighter, but now because he couldn't keep his hands up for a full round, we would have to "waste" precious time by giving Roz a title eliminator against Ngannou...

... aw, I'm being too harsh on Roz; and OK, I get your point, but to bo back to the comparison between 2021 AO and 2020 JDS, Overeem was still KO'd 2 fights before the Volkov bout, in which he looked pretty bad.

And if you look at who beat JDS in those recent bouts preceding the Gane loss, they're all guys Overeem lost to (even if I agree that the Roz fight has some kind of weird asterisk next to it, I think most people here would disagree with us).

But you're still right, JDS was on a 3 fights losing streak, and AO was more relevant.

I'll still be rooting for Ciryl Gane :D it will be a hard fight, and one I wouldn't want to bet on, especially with Gane as the favorite (I've read Gane -165, Volkov +135)

Like I said earlier, Ngannou vs Gane is my current HW dream fight, while Volkov vs Ngannou.. it would be a cool fight too, but the storyline isn't as powerful, with Gane being undefeated and a former training partner, and their fighting styles compliment each other better IMHO

Doesn't matter, i'm not trying to MMA Math here, I think it's fairly obvious the way Overeem was fighting that he was a far more relevant fighter than JDS was in their last few years in the UFC. Aleksei, Sakai, Harris were ranked, Pavlovich was an unbeaten hot prospect and he was a second away from beating Bigi Boy... JDS has had one relevant win since 2014.. I can't believe I have to explain this shit.

Again you are just looking at his UFC career, that is stupid. {<BJPeen}
Rubbish reasoning. If Overeem had faced the same opponents in the same order at the same time, he would have been on the exact same streak, and not even sure he would have beaten Lewis.
JDS gets trashed for losing to guys who all beat Overeem.
Their recent records are as equal as it gets. They beat the bottom top 10 and below and lose to the top 5.

Back