1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Circling and evading as opposed to head movement and blocking

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by spacetime, Jan 15, 2020.

1. spacetime Banned Banned

Something that always works regardless of what level you're at is circling and evading when your opponent is better than you and you need to weather the storm. The nr 1 flaw I see in beginner and intermediates is lack of foot work and getting stuck in the pocket.

A lot of boxing instructors emphasize head movement and blocking instead of this very simple principle. Head movement should be taught later, not at first. It's too advanced for someone who never sparred in his life. Head movement also has its pros and cons. ...... I am not a big fan of it but let's leave that for another discussion...

2. SandaKicker Green Belt

Head movement is the highest level of skill in kickboxing and MMA striking IMO.

I've seen newbs come into the gym with the fanciful idea of bobbing and weaving like Mike Tyson and get killed in sparring because of it. To be fair I've also seen people come in thinking they are going to be doing the Ali shuffle and clowning people and get killed because of that.

I wouldn't call it a flaw of boxing instructors though, especially if you are going to a boxing class training for a different sport. Sometimes at the most basic level ducking a wild swing can go a long way, especially if it's done as a reaction and not someone trying to keep their head mobile without really knowing what they are doing.

3. spacetime Banned Banned

You don't need to do the type of head movement that boxing instructors peg you on, especially if you're taller than your opponent.. It's a one size fits all mentality of boxing that I despise

4. StanClarker Banned Banned

My boxing style skill is now footwork. Getting the back & forth footwork (advance, retreat) is hard. There are several aspects to keep straight and then to make it consistent. Doing so is the basis for avoiding the pocket stuck-ness syndrome. MMA strikers sucks overall in this very basic platform skill of boxing... IMO

On the head movement, I would agree. Footwork is what comes first in my mind. Doing it properly, starting with the properly spaced steps, and being on balance, then maintaining that practice. Head movement tends to detract from the footwork platform which is so, so key to the overall boxing basics.

5. StanClarker Banned Banned

Funny, I agree again that head movement shouldn't emphasized ahead of other aspects.

However, I don't believe the circling or evasion, whatever though is a good practice. That's chucking boxing footwork's basic platform. No & no.

I think the circling / wide evasion makes for a deficient substitute 'band aid,' for absence of solid boxing footwork.

6. babycart currently in the Land of Demons

In the thick of melee/flurry, footwork is instinctually hard to do and good head movement saves the day + blocking. More often than not, people are subconsciously afraid of getting hit with one foot off the ground, which happens when stepping.

Circling and evading is passive unless one has a good command of distance and good baiting techniques a la Anderson Silva.

7. spacetime Banned Banned

It's tiring but aside from that, it is a way to try and gauge your opponent and pick your spots

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  8. shincheckin Black Belt

good topic however I would word it headmovement/evading/circling vs blocking and countering.

I would put head movement with circling and evading.....as head movement, is an evasion.

evasive fighting is more KB,Boxing,TMA based.

MT is more about blocking and countering......not that evasions circling and headmovement cant or dont get used in MT.

Both methods of fighting have their place....knowing how to do both is best so you can use it when needed.

9. JohnPJones Purple Belt

why are you people engaging with his trolling?

10. TheMaster Take The Road To Reality Double Yellow Card

11. vladimirvlad MMA is my life

Makes sense to me, head movement is a very important part of the game, and you won't get stuck into the pocket that easily if you move it well.

12. eternaldarkness Banned Banned

Good boxing coaches don't teach like that.

13. ShadowoftheSun Yellow Belt

It's just another tool in the toolkit.

14. Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

TS can't think that way.

You will see a pattern in his threads-- he always has to establish one single technique/strategy as being superior to all the other variants or different skills so he can throw a bunch away and ignore them to make use of the limited space in his head by only having to remember / rely on a single one. Maybe that's what his username refers to? It would make sense.

15. There's nothing that always works

You might end up getting chased and cut off

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2020
  16. spacetime Banned Banned

I didn't say bobbing and weaving doesn’t work. I'm saying it doesn’t suit everybody

17. Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

They're not even for the same thing.

A person who can only do one is at a strong disadvantage to a person who can and will integrate them both.