Circadian Ryththms

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Ninja Realist, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Ninja Realist

Ninja Realist Brown Belt

I am taking this psych class and the textbook says your circadian rhythms mean you have maximum strength at around 11 AM and 7 PM.

Does anyone know of science or experience that demonstrates appreciable gains from exercising at these times?

2. Stungun101

Stungun101 Red Belt

If that was true, wouldn't it still be relative to when you (consistently) get to sleep?

For example, I go to bed at 10am and wake up at 5pm.

3. .Exe

.Exe White Belt

Yes. You can adjust your circadian rhythms. It has a lot to do with sunlight tho.

4. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

You must do that for your job or you're nuts. What do you do?

5. Stungun101

Stungun101 Red Belt

Yes, it's the night shift. I'm also a student. I never really had much problem with working at night, the problems come if there's alternating weeks of nights then days.

6. scoopj

scoopj ackson

I thought circadian rhythms had to do with how not to get a girl pregnant.

7. grrthetree

grrthetree Green Belt

Thats cesarean cycle

8. jerrylundergard

jerrylundergard Green Belt

The circadian rythym can be reset to any hours. With artifical lighting the sun is no longer the circadian force it once was.

The clock is set by your sleep wake patterns. You could easily thrive on a graveyard shift if your sleep wake patterns are consistent. Like you wake up at 8 pm and you would be your strongest from 11pm-7am.

My best lifetime PRs were all done when I was in college and waking up at 4-5 pm and lifting around 7-8pm and going to sleep around 7-8am. I was just consistent with my sleep/wake/eat/bowel schedule.

9. zx

zx adventurer

Hard to believe. Milions of years of evolution made a mark. I was reading long time ago that every organ has it's own time when resting(or working with less capacity).

10. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

I think the whole circadian rhythm thing is horseshit anyway. I work when I have to, sleep when I can and get to the gym when I can. Some days are better than others, but I don't buy that it has anything to do with the circadian rhythms

11. jerrylundergard

jerrylundergard Green Belt

Ive already been the guiney pig so I believe it. Ive even grown plants under artificial lights strictly at night time (they were FAR bigger than normal). The plants must have total darkness during daylight hours or the rythym is broke and the plants stress and suffer.

For humans. Its just waking up, eating, pooping. All these things help control our circ. rythym. Things we couldnt do over the milions of years very well at nite. Now, we can do them just fine. The key is consistency just as it is during daylite hours.

There is no doubt there are periods of a persons day or night when they are strongest. Also, if someone is competing at night time they should definetely, if possible, work their sleep/wake/eating schedules with the comp time in mind. Or even if someone just wants to maximize their lifting they ought to be consistent in the time they lift and hopefully they could lift at a time of day when they would be at their strongest point in the rythym.

Google circadiam rythms for more info...

12. ronin0352

In order to "set your circadian rhythm" you need to establish a consistent pattern right?

13. Black Paladin

Black Paladin Funniest Sherdogger, P4P

:icon_sad:

14. chia

chia POWER OF THE GLOW

Although a lot of psychology theory is borderline pseudo-science, the circadian rhythm is definitely not horseshit. It has been documented in many experiments and sleep studies (even in plants and animals), and it is related to a few types of sleep disorders. I think that most people simply do not notice the circadian rhythm because being tired due to work, stress, lack of sleep, or physical labor, etc. can overcome the natural cycle so most people don't really notice the biological clock at work. If you have the luxury of sleeping and waking without an alarm (only sleeping when you feel tired and waking naturally) you'll notice it becomes much harder to break whatever patterns you set.

The circadian rhythm is set through consistency, but the natural daily cycle is actually a little longer than 24 hours so we must continually "reset" it by external triggers: sunrise and sunset, using alarm clocks, turning on and off lights, etc. This allows us to keep our rhythm consistent with sleep and wake times.

There have been experiments where subjects were kept in a room with no exposure to the sun and no clocks. They could turn the lights on and off whenever they wanted and sleep whenever they wanted. After a few days I think most people adopted a daily pattern of around 25 hours per "day". There were no external triggers to help reset their clocks.

There are sleep disorders where people have trouble resetting their circadian rhythms. I think I used to suffer from this to a certain extent (self-diagnosis, but it made very much sense to what I was experiencing). There have been times when I could only fall asleep later and later each successive day, while waking up at the same time each day. This cycle continues until you get extremely tired, which I could only compensate for by sleeping extra hours on weekends. Using certain sleep aids helped sometimes.

15. ronin0352

Well, maybe when I win the powerball I'll get to experience this phenomenon for myself. As for now, I've never had the luxury of having that consistent of a sleep pattern.

16. modena1983

modena1983 I

These are the times I generally lift. Interesting.

17. Indivdude

Indivdude Blue Belt

SO Chia are you saying that the rhythms are still there for people that wake up to alarms and have stressful days at work but they simply don't notice them? Their cicadian rhythms aren't weakened or otherwise inferior to another person's circadian rhythm that wakes up naturally and so on?

Also, while writing this.. I noticed how strange rhythm looks. Its a strange little word... rhythm...

18. Dirty Holt

Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

your Circadian Rythm is part of homeostasis. Evolution is very strong, so is homeostasis. However, humans can easily disrupt homeostasis. Your Circadian Rythm can be altered, and you can thrive under a new CR, however, your body will always be trying to return to homeostasis, and studies have shown people cannot permenently change their natural CR. As one poster said above, outside stimuli must be used such as alarm clocks and light switches