Cintron In MMA, Good for Boxing?

so that just leaves us with same question, how good of a wrestler is cintron really? i dont think anyone questions that he would dominate the stand up, other than that this is all conjecture i guess. until we actually see him wrestle.

Yep. But if Kermit can just hold his own on the ground to get the standup, I don't see any reason he can't dominate. Lesser strikers (in other words, anybody fighting in MMA) have done more with less.

Jits is his Achilles' heel at the moment....a BJJ guy with an iron jaw (Penn, anyone?) could cause problems.

I'll concede to you on that point, but doesn't that make it even less necessary for him to cross over into a sport that will pay considerably less? It all seems like a publicity stunt in the past (challenging Shark after Mayweather delivered the obvious no) that was never going to go anywhere in the first place.

He'd make a lot more in boxing, he's recognized as a boxer, so what, if any advantage does going into MMA and having to learn new rules, skillsets, etc, have for Cintron?

That's one way to look at it. The other way would be that he could cross-over based on his aptitude (granted there is any) and revolutionize the Sport of MMA with regards to being the first "World Class" Boxer (with truth to that statement, not like Rogan calls Kit Cope a World Class Muay Thai Fighter, which is HARDLY true), to go into MMA and make a success of himself. Like Severn as a Wrestler, like Smith as a Kickboxer, like Kimbo as a "Street Fighter"...and as much as I hate to say it and disagree with it, like Cung Le's being marketed as a "San Shou Gung Fu" guy.

Only Cintron's right now more credible than all of those were/are save for Severn.

It could actually turn out to be huge for him, granted he gets matched right and can win.

Thats because they suck at boxing.

mma fighters aren't as skilled boxers as those that have been boxing for 10 years, but you can't discount the bad habbits you get with the smaller gloves. The smaller gloves make people want to headhunt more as it is so much easier to get the KO.

That's one way to look at it. The other way would be that he could cross-over based on his aptitude (granted there is any) and revolutionize the Sport of MMA with regards to being the first "World Class" Boxer (with truth to that statement, not like Rogan calls Kit Cope a World Class Muay Thai Fighter, which is HARDLY true), to go into MMA and make a success of himself. Like Severn as a Wrestler, like Smith as a Kickboxer, like Kimbo as a "Street Fighter"...and as much as I hate to say it and disagree with it, like Cung Le's being marketed as a "San Shou Gung Fu" guy.

Only Cintron's right now more credible than all of those were/are save for Severn.

It could actually turn out to be huge for him, granted he gets matched right and can win.

it does seem like theres potential, i mean MMA is a relatively untapped market, theres alot of room for growth especially for someone like cintron, hes got all the makings of a poster boy. where as in boxing everythings a has been seen, cintron could have a very decent very respectable career but in the end he wont be remembered too well. if MMA does become a mainstay then in the future cintron might be looked back on as one of the greats. its a risk though no doubt.

As usual Kabuki, you prove to be one of, if not the most eloquent and persuasive posters on Sherdog. I suppose at this point it's up to him, but this sort of sportive crossover as of late seems to be a favored tactic of Gary Shaw. He'd be all over Cintron, and he'd do his best to make sure Cintron was matched correctly, while I think Dana might be more apt to throw Cintron to the wolves and adjust his marketing from there.

First off this guy will not do anything in MMA. He is an ass-clown. The TS exaggerated his wrestling credentials by saying first off he was one of the best wrestlers in the state of PA and saying he never wrestled in college when in fact he did. He wrestled at junior college. There are far better wrestlers in the MMA game right now. Not to mention the fact that when he said he would fight MMA, he thought he would waltz right in and kick everyone's ass simply based on his backgrounds. He did not have any respect for the sport and someone with that attitude will easily get their ass kicked. Also many guys with wrestling backgrounds do not transition well into the sport. Kevin Jackson did not do much when he entered MMA, and he was a gold medal wrestler. Its easy to talk shit when you don't have to back it up.

As usual Kabuki, you prove to be one of, if not the most eloquent and persuasive posters on Sherdog. I suppose at this point it's up to him, but this sort of sportive crossover as of late seems to be a favored tactic of Gary Shaw. He'd be all over Cintron, and he'd do his best to make sure Cintron was matched correctly, while I think Dana might be more apt to throw Cintron to the wolves and adjust his marketing from there.

Now you're touching on one of the things from Dana's past, meaning, his short-sightedness. This is EXACTLY what got him muscled out of Boxing Promotion by Don King, Bob Arum (who PARTICULARLY hates Dana) and of course, Gary Shaw. I bet Dana spends an ample amount of time in private ranting about Shaw.

Dana's got no long-term vision, never has. He's not skilled at building markets, which is why if the UFC wants to go Global, eventually they NEED to remove him from the Presidential position.

Gary has long-term investment vision. This is why he took so much time and care forming Elite XC, and now he's building Kimbo and Cung Le, and people are buying the hype like it's a vintage 80's Members Only coat. Throw in a Newtork TV deal, and Shaw (albeit a General scumbag) will have already done for MMA what Dana could not.

So yeah, I agree that Cintron's best bet would be to go with Gary Shaw and be brought up the right way as a potential revolutionary of the Sport. And if Dana were smart he'd re-think his "GET MONEY NOW" idea of putting him right in there with Din Thomas or Sean Sherk, and put him in at the lowest level and have it fester for a while, let him knock out a bunch of mooks, actually learn BJJ comprehensively, then make a REAL mega-fight out of it.

First off this guy will not do anything in MMA. He is an ass-clown. The TS exaggerated his wrestling credentials by saying first off he was one of the best wrestlers in the state of PA and saying he never wrestled in college when in fact he did. He wrestled at junior college. There are far better wrestlers in the MMA game right now. Not to mention the fact that when he said he would fight MMA, he thought he would waltz right in and kick everyone's ass simply based on his backgrounds. He did not have any respect for the sport and someone with that attitude will easily get their ass kicked. Also many guys with wrestling backgrounds do not transition well into the sport. Kevin Jackson did not do much when he entered MMA, and he was a gold medal wrestler. Its easy to talk shit when you don't have to back it up.

You better turn down the juvenile in your post there, or you won't have the privilege very much longer. Especially if you're calling Fighters ass-clowns.

That's one way to look at it. The other way would be that he could cross-over based on his aptitude (granted there is any) and revolutionize the Sport of MMA with regards to being the first "World Class" Boxer (with truth to that statement, not like Rogan calls Kit Cope a World Class Muay Thai Fighter, which is HARDLY true), to go into MMA and make a success of himself. Like Severn as a Wrestler, like Smith as a Kickboxer, like Kimbo as a "Street Fighter"...and as much as I hate to say it and disagree with it, like Cung Le's being marketed as a "San Shou Gung Fu" guy.Only Cintron's right now more credible than all of those were/are save for Severn.

I don't know that much about Le's background. Is he not legit?

I don't know that much about Le's background. Is he not legit?

It's well documented nearly all of Le's fights were against kickboxers who had never seen a throw in their life, so he took them down and won on points.

good points. i think i convinced myself that Brock put mir down with a punch. i just rewatched the fight and yep i was wrong. I would bet that Brock has a better chin than Sims and if I remember correctly Sims was pretty gassed when he finally went down. but, yeah, you're right Lesnar has a lot of ????

Sims was gassed. And who knows if Lesnar has a better chin than Sims.... You'd be surprised at some of the huge guys who look like Lesnar who have less than stellar chins. Take a look at Bob Sapp. Huge neck, thick facial structure. And when he gets hit, he cowers like a girl. But I think Lesnar probably has a better chin than Sims. Time will tell. The one thing we did get to see from him was absolutely vicious GnP. If he can work on submission defense and not get careless down there, he could knock guys out from GnP. As soon as they signed Mir as his first UFC opponent I thought Dana and Joe Silva, the matchmaker, were idiots. His natural inclination is going to be to take the fight to the ground, where Mir just so happens to be dominant. The UFC has a lil something to learn from Elite FC about protecting their investments for a maturation period before they start throwing them to the wolves.

The problem for cintron is that the top lightweights, penn and sherk, are absolute BEASTS on the ground... he wouldn't have a chance without a lot of bjj and wrestling training.

yeah that's true. but he would be the one guy who i believe could ko penn with a single punch. this guy's got devastating ko power, by boxing standards. 27 ko's out of 29 wins.

Now you're touching on one of the things from Dana's past, meaning, his short-sightedness. This is EXACTLY what got him muscled out of Boxing Promotion by Don King, Bob Arum (who PARTICULARLY hates Dana) and of course, Gary Shaw. I bet Dana spends an ample amount of time in private ranting about Shaw.

Dana's got no long-term vision, never has. He's not skilled at building markets, which is why if the UFC wants to go Global, eventually they NEED to remove him from the Presidential position.

Gary has long-term investment vision. This is why he took so much time and care forming Elite XC, and now he's building Kimbo and Cung Le, and people are buying the hype like it's a vintage 80's Members Only coat. Throw in a Newtork TV deal, and Shaw (albeit a General scumbag) will have already done for MMA what Dana could not.

So yeah, I agree that Cintron's best bet would be to go with Gary Shaw and be brought up the right way as a potential revolutionary of the Sport. And if Dana were smart he'd re-think his "GET MONEY NOW" idea of putting him right in there with Din Thomas or Sean Sherk, and put him in at the lowest level and have it fester for a while, let him knock out a bunch of mooks, actually learn BJJ comprehensively, then make a REAL mega-fight out of it.

just out of curiosity why does big bob hate dana so much? i mean besides the obvious ass-baggary that everyone hates dana for.

Dana's implicated the BobFather as one of the biggest problems in Boxing, Publically stating a certain amount of disdain, like he does with Don King as well. Don would probably slander Dana back, but he operates mostly overseas and actually, is Son does most of the DKP work nowadays.

Bob is still a central figure here in Vegas. And the History between he and Dana goes back to when Dana was handling Boxers and trying to Promote here. It happens to a lot of fledgeling Promoters, the big boys throw money and promises around, and essentially shut down their operations. Sometime recently Bob spoke out on an MMA program about Dana's shit as well. But essentially Bob was one of the main people pushing around small Promoters back then.

Dana just happened to position himself very wisely in an area where a TRULY dying Fight Sport needed help, and needed a new model for itself. The greatest trick he ever pulled, was making MMA's rule-structure closer to Boxing and getting it sanctioned.

kermey never been hit by a elbow or knee or been kicked so add that in plus the fact i know its hard for u boxing fans to believe but mma does have better wrestlers then decorated high school wrestlers

The problem for cintron is that the top lightweights, penn and sherk, are absolute BEASTS on the ground... he wouldn't have a chance without a lot of bjj and wrestling training.

Not only that, he'd have to go through a bunch of other really talented grapplers to get anywhere near a title shot. The LW division is full of guys like Stevenson, Griffin, Edgar, Maynard, Guida, Pellegrino - all of these guys have enough wrestling ability to take Cintron down, and once the fight hit the ground it would be all over for Cintron.

I think he'd do well.

I read the first few pages and the bias is pretty amusing.

"Anyone can win!" MMA hasn't been around that long at all and for a number of years it basically wasn't even MMA. You had some grapplers and then you had some strikers. And they were generally pretty bad to begin with. This is changing faster and faster as time goes on and young extremely tenacious fighters see a career in the sport and get hungrier and hungrier to make names for themselves. It's also only now that young people are growing up training for MMA as opposed to just wrestling or just BJJ and so on.

As time goes on more and more fighters will have a complete game with good technique and naturally it won't stop there. The past has shown this to be the case and anyone with a reasonable level of intelligence can see it happening all the time.

As for Cintron actually getting into MMA I don't know. From a financial standpoint it would seem like a bad idea but if he were to actually win some fights his pay would almost certainly increase very dramatically. And you factor in the sheer growth that the sport is undergoing. He'd also get very good sponsorship which again would net him significant amounts of pay. Other than the money issue which could eventually become a non-issue I don't see why not. And as many have alluded to if he stays here he's probably going to continue to run into a lot of problems.

i think couture and rampage displayed that basic boxing skills have become a necessity in mma..

Back