Chuck was known for having god tier TDD, but Rampage took him down in Pride?

Rampage was a great wrestler before he only cared about boxing.

Hallman has two great wins over Hughes but is not a great fighter overall. That is why your point is both dumb and insulting. Hiding behind the 'heh it is just my opinion man' defense does not work. Opinions can be both wrong and dumb.

Plus the Hallman fights lasted about a minute, Chris dominated both fights

I imagine Chuck improved his ability to scramble over time. Didn't Belfort also take him down and win a round that way around that time? Plus, Couture took Liddell down and pounded him out back then too.

It's just a bad matchup for Liddell, since Liddell didn't care about defense and Rampage did. Rampage can talk all the shit he wants that guys that avoid the standup with him are cowards, but he covers up, tries to not get hit, and won't force the issue. Liddell didn't give a shit and ate big shots throughout his whole career.

What? So fighting with your chin up in the air taking damage is the best way to fight? Just because rampage uses defense doesn't mean he wasn't an aggressive fighter. Look where chuck is and look where rampage is now. Unfortunately chucks sounds like he's always drunk and rampage is still rampage except with body mileage..

Gary-Coleman-wtf.gif

Both Tito and Horn tried to take Chuck down multiple times, and both times they fought him. Randleman also tried, as did Mezger, as did Babalu (both times), as did Monson, as did Bustamante.

I'm not saying Chuck had "God-tier TDD," but a better question than "who has tried to take Chuck down?" is "who hasn't tried to take Chuck down?"

I don't even remember the takedown attempts, which may or may not have anything to do with how significant the attempts were. Takedown attempts vary from barely trying to actually trying to struggle with the doubleleg.

If someone stops a prime GSP bulldozer doubleleg, I'd be impressed. Same thing if someone stops a Ronda judo throw.

Weidman bested Anderson everywhere.

So did Sonnen in their 1st fight until the last 10 seconds, and the entire 1st round of their 2nd fight.

Same with Henderson in the 1st round.

I cant believe how many peoplw thought Chuck would beat Rampage in the rematch considering how poorly he did the first time.

rampage was like nadal and chuck was like federer

chuck was smashing everyone but he could never beat rampage

also rampage smashing chuck on the feet led to those takedowns

Many good points made in the thread. But also, you can't wall walk in the ring. That may have helped.

Pretty much this.

Chuck had the better style that would beat the bigger number of world-class competition, but Rampage just had the yin for Chuck's yang.

That's not true at all. Rampage was regarded as a favorite to win that tournament. A lot of pros were picking Rampage to win it all despite Wand's ridiculous win streak at the time. I don't remember much people outside of a few that were picking Liddell to beat Rampage. I remember most people thinking Liddell was going to lose to Overeem. That fight was actually a bit of an upset at the time on the underground circuit.

Both Tito and Horn tried to take Chuck down multiple times, and both times they fought him. Randleman also tried, as did Mezger, as did Babalu (both times), as did Monson, as did Bustamante.

I'm not saying Chuck had "God-tier TDD," but a better question than "who has tried to take Chuck down?" is "who hasn't tried to take Chuck down?"

Jeremy Horn? If Vegas had odds on takedowns, he would have been something like +1500 at the time to land a TD on Liddell. As for Tito, he overplayed his hand on every TD attempt. It was absurd. Tito went from being a fighter with a world class reputation for wrestling, to looking like a toddler trying to take Liddell down. He didn't mix up his TD attempts with any strikes, and it's almost as if everything he knew went out the window. I remember one attempt in one of their fights where Tito went for a TD while standing like 10 feet away from Liddell.

Liddell was a real intimidating guy at the time. Guys with incredible abilities to get fights to the floor would all of a sudden turn into amateurs while trying to take him down. They would lunge at him with their arms in the air holding a huge sign that said "Hey, you mind if I take you down?" Just look at Babalu's attempts.

Rampage just had Chuck's number.
Who's the avatar?
What happens in Pride stays in Pride.
Well, not always...
i23243_Page1_medium.gif

Saying Liddell didn't have great tdd shows you didn't watch him during his peak years..

Many people tried and almost all failed. Rampage happened to match up perfectly with Chuck..

Regardless id still want Chucks career over Rampages.

I think I'd take Rampage's. Fewer KOs and he unified the UFC and PRIDE titles, plus he was UFC champ when it was more popular(partly because of Chuck) and was in PRIDE when it was pretty big.

Who's the avatar?

Well, not always...
i23243_Page1_medium.gif

I think I'd take Rampage's. Fewer KOs and he unified the UFC and PRIDE titles, plus he was UFC champ when it was more popular(partly because of Chuck) and was in PRIDE when it was pretty big.

Good point.

Rampage successfully defending the UFC belt against Hendo > Chuck defending against Tito 2, Babalu 2, Horn 2.

I cant believe how many peoplw thought Chuck would beat Rampage in the rematch considering how poorly he did the first time.

UFC hype machine fooled many people, maybe me included. I thought Hughes, Franklin, Chuck, Arlovski were super duper... but I knew GSP would beat Hughes in the rematch.

It's depressing reading Liddell threads...all people ever do nowadays is trash the guy.

Level of competition way back in Chuck's day was not as refined or dangerous as it is in Jon Jones' era.

oh i see, youre an anderson fanboy

LOL... yes, pointing out when Anderson was getting his ass kicked makes me an Anderson fanboy.

Funny thing is, I was more of an Anderson hater, than fan. I hated his dancing around the ring he did against Cote, Lietes, and Maia. I absolutely hated how he avoided being taken down in the 2nd fight in the 2nd round with Sonnen by grabbing his shorts.

I want Silva to be legit beaten, not due to be showboating or a freak injury. But now he's 39 and coming off a serious injury. All defeats on his record for the rest of his career will have been said to have been for one or the other.

It wasn't too crazy of a thought given that Rampage was at a point in his career in which he certainly didn't look like a world beater prior to the Liddell II fight. He definitely impressed that night.

Lol nobody is "at fault" because no fault has been committed.

If you aren't convinced that Weidman is a better fighter than Silva in 2014 then I can say with extreme certainty that a) you aren't very intelligent or b) you are living in delusion and are thus incapable of engaging in a rational MMA discussion. All the sugar-coating about Silva's failed strategies in the world won't change history, a history which does not include Silva EVER being in control vs Chris Weidman.

canon is pretty important.

It's also important to blend objectivity and subjectivity and realism.

I can sit here and say David Haye would smash Ali.

Of course he would, in 2014.

Look at their careers as a whole and attempt to properly rate their performances/opposition and then it becomes a somewhat fair comparison. Chris Weidman is a tough matchup for Silva, stylistically, and he could potentially be the kind of fighter that would ALWAYS pose problems for the Brazilian. But at this point, it's hard to make a statement as broad as Weidman's better than Silva.

We'll find out in a number of years.

Back