Chuck was known for having god tier TDD, but Rampage took him down in Pride?

It's not like Rampage was known for his takedowns.. or slams

Hallman - Hughes
Weidman - Silva
Rampage - Chuck

It's the name of the game. Most of the greats just have that one person that has their number.

Hallman - Hughes
Weidman - Silva
Rampage - Chuck

It's the name of the game. Most of the greats just have that one person that has their number.

The inclusion of Hallman-Hughes is an insult to both Weidman and Rampage. Who were in fact simply better fighters than their opponents.

I don't like this "he's just a bad matchup" talk. Prime Rampage is a better fighter than prime Chuck. Period. Put old Rampage, Shogun, or Wand into the UFC Chuck was a champion in, and they'd be champ no question.

The elbows to the body from the guard position murdered him... Rampage didn't give a shit about passing guard, he just had sinister GnP and take downs. When he came back from Pride he smashed Eastman, ate Hendo's hardest shots, took the belt, and bashed him around, and KFC Wand... He became a striker/clinch fighter, which he always was in, but it wasnt his bread and butter like it is now - the best Rampage was the one that was throwing fools through the air and smashing on them.

The inclusion of Hallman-Hughes is an insult to both Weidman and Rampage. Who were in fact simply better fighters than their opponents.

Funny because Hallman proved twice he was a better fighter than Hughes, maybe not overall but on those nights he was. Weidman is not better than Silva. IMO, don't get butthurt over that but it's just my opinion.

I imagine Chuck improved his ability to scramble over time. Didn't Belfort also take him down and win a round that way around that time? Plus, Couture took Liddell down and pounded him out back then too.

It's just a bad matchup for Liddell, since Liddell didn't care about defense and Rampage did. Rampage can talk all the shit he wants that guys that avoid the standup with him are cowards, but he covers up, tries to not get hit, and won't force the issue. Liddell didn't give a shit and ate big shots throughout his whole career.

I imagine Chuck improved his ability to scramble over time. Didn't Belfort also take him down and win a round that way around that time? Plus, Couture took Liddell down and pounded him out back then too.

It's just a bad matchup for Liddell, since Liddell didn't care about defense and Rampage did. Rampage can talk all the shit he wants that guys that avoid the standup with him are cowards, but he covers up, tries to not get hit, and won't force the issue. Liddell didn't give a shit and ate big shots throughout his whole career.

Lol yeah. Because someone that blocks punches has no right to complain about fighters who don't want to engage.

I remember when Rampage was Slampage and one of the best LHW's in the world. As msoon as he stepped in the Octagon he turned into a one-dimensional striker who only showed occasional glimpses of his old amazing takedowns (I'm still shocked he managed to slam Bader) and absolutely ZERO GnP.

Still not sure why he decided to take this route with his style, tbh.

Rampage was and is just a better fighter. Chuck should have never been considered as the number one LHW.

. Didn't Belfort also take him down and win a round that way around that time?

Yeah, he took Chuck down, but Liddell got up shortly thereafter, as per usual. That fight was close because of Vitor's massively improved Muay Thai game.

Rampage was and is just a better fighter. Chuck should have never been considered as the number one LHW.

For a long while, he WAS the number one LHW... in the UFC. We all know Pride was where it was at in terms of world class LHW's right up until it's demise. I don't know that Chuck would have cracked the top 5 in Pride from 2003-2005.

What happens in Pride stays in Pride.

Back