Chuck was known for having god tier TDD, but Rampage took him down in Pride?

Modern

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I was surprised when Rampage was able to take down Lidell in their first fight. Not only that he GnP'ed the shit out of him. It was just weird..its my first time watching this fight by the way.

those body shots at the end of the fight were brutal. you could hear chuck whimpering just before the bell rang.

Yeah, Liddell never had an answer for Rampage.

Rampage used to be a good wrestler back in his youth... Then he got old and fat.

Let me help explain it TS; Rampage was to Chuck as Ronda is to Mayweather. All clear?

Rampage has a chin so you know he could get inside without being weary of chucks power! and he is know by many fighters to be one of the strongest competitors in the cage.

I have always thought is was Rampage's strike defense style that helped him beat Chuck. Rampage raises his elbows up pretty high in front of his head and face to block punches. This was the perfect thing to block Chuck's looping punches which come in from the sides. Without being hurt by strikes, Rampage was able to dominate in other areas.

I was surprised when Rampage was able to take down Lidell in their first fight. Not only that he GnP'ed the shit out of him. It was just weird..its my first time watching this fight by the way.

Randy also ragdolled him in their first fight, he had good TDD but I wouldnt say it was "godlike"

Pretty much this.

Chuck had the better style that would beat the bigger number of world-class competition, but Rampage just had the yin for Chuck's yang.

Lol wut. Rampage has actually beaten "a bigger number of world class competition", Chuck excluded. I don't know why people feel the need to insinuate that Liddell was the better fighter who was just fighting at a style disadvantage. The whole "styles make fights" motto is a copout used to discredit victorious fighters anyways.

Randy also ragdolled him in their first fight, he had good TDD but I wouldnt say it was "godlike"

Both Randy and Rampage beat chuck up standing before taking him down. When a guy is hurt or weary of being hit again, he's MUCH easier to take down.

His ability to get up was what was special, more so than his TD defense.

Both Randy and Rampage beat chuck up standing before taking him down. When a guy is hurt or weary of being hit again, he's MUCH easier to take down.

yeah I totally agree with you, good point. still wouldnt call it "godlike" though

His take defense consisted of being able to get back up quickly, not necessarily avoiding being taken down completely.

Lol wut. Rampage has actually beaten "a bigger number of world class competition", Chuck excluded. I don't know why people feel the need to insinuate that Liddell was the better fighter who was just fighting at a style disadvantage. The whole "styles make fights" motto is a copout used to discredit victorious fighters anyways.

It's not exactly uncommon, for example, Weidman/Silva. Not taking anything away from Weidman, or Silva, but many consider he got lucky both times, and Silva as a whole is a better fighter than Weidman... At least before the injury. Same with Chuck/Liddell.

a lot of time it was more about chuck being good at standing backup, not necessarily preventing the td, plus rampage had great tds and is generally a bad matchup

Back