Christians thoughts on Manifesting Destiny.

JaeA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So my question to you Christians. (and anybody else) but especially Christians.

Gods plan is happening to you when you surrender to Gods will?
So can one have organic actions and be spontaneous or is it all "Gods Plan"

I am sure this question has been asked A few trillion times already but never the less.

In no way am I bashing anything anybody believes in for you may be 100 percent correct for all I know.

God gave Adam and Eve free will with the apple of knowledge, right? So if you go by that, then yes, we still have free will and can choose our own path/destiny.

So can one have organic actions and be spontaneous or is it all "Gods Plan"

I am sure this question has been asked A few trillion times already but never the less.

In no way am I bashing anything anybody believes in for you may be 100 percent correct for all I know.

Ever try to assemble something complicated without following the instructions, and get it hopelessly fouled up... and then finally giving up the idea of figuring it out on your own, and deciding to follow the instructions? Do you feel like you've been robbed of free will by doing so?

I've never personally come across the concept of "Gods plan" in regards to individual people as something that's a real part of my catholic beliefs - being European and comming from a catholic family. I've always thought that the concept of surrendering to what God has planned for you, and in turn that plan unfolding for you, as an American concept. I was always taught, at home as in Church, that God makes the playing field (laws of nature, your starting position in life, etc) but after that that it's purely up to you what you do with that life - you know... Free will and stuff - BUT that in Jesus, God gave humas a blueprint of what it would be nice to strive for - love, humility, compassion, etc.

Is TS trying to recruit sherdoggers to jihad?

If you're really curious about it, look into the work of John Calvin and Thomas Aquinas. Suffice it to say this debate predates Sherdog. It's probably one of the most discussed philosophical/theological topics in the history of Christianity.

Not Religious, but it appears to me that God would be more of a macro-manager.

Sort of like a general, where the generals will gets acted out by all the people under him in the hierarchy all the way down tot he soldiers and chefs. Each person has free will to an extent but is part of a larger plan.

Therefor 'god works in mysterious ways' would be akin to a soldier not really knowing the generals secrets, but trusting that the direction is sound.

there is acting in a way that you think would be pleasing to God
then there is also if you think God has put "work" before you and you actively do the work you believe God has put before you.

it is never being a puppet with a big invisible hand up your ass. only a child would think that.

It's funny because when I read the thread title I suddenly felt like the free will question could go back to having an air of legitimacy in theological discourse, where I first encountered it.

But it's still incoherent. The substance causing the event that appears in consciousness is just yoinked out of nature in favour of an ethereal replacement that also doesn't make sense.

If you're really curious about it, look into the work of John Calvin and Thomas Aquinas. Suffice it to say this debate predates Sherdog. It's probably one of the most discussed philosophical/theological topics in the history of Christianity.

If I remember my history of philosophy correctly Augustine actually beat Aquinas to the punch on this one.

Since God is nothing else than the rules of the universe (although from what I have seen americans still seem to misunderstand it), this question is the same exact one as of determinism vs free will.

It's funny because when I read the thread title I suddenly felt like the free will question could go back to having an air of legitimacy in theological discourse, where I first encountered it.

But it's still incoherent. The substance causing the event that appears in consciousness is just yoinked out of nature in favour of an ethereal replacement that also doesn't make sense.

If I remember my history of philosophy correctly Augustine actually beat Aquinas to the punch on this one.

awesome response. Made me think

praise R'hllor

I hope God has his will and all that malarky cos my mum's going to be well pissed off otherwise.

"God's plan" keeps on changing thus I guess eventually it could mean someone else is responsible for the outcome of life. The world was once deemed flat and all who declared otherwise were killed. HMMMMMMMMM At our current pace of improvement I guesstimate around 10k years and we will be legitimately intelligent life forms. :icon_lol:

Back