Chris Weidman's pain management

i saw his mental state. saw 20 something surgeries. saw increased pain and lack of emotional control.

how does he not have a pain killer addiction. i know some people who have maybe 4 surgeries over 2 years. each time they got a fat bottle of pain killers. they ended up with serious addiction and needed help quitting.

How do you know he doesn't?

i think it shows a few things. hes as tough as they come - 0 quit in him. his mind wants to do what his body no longer can. I 100% believe he can beat izzy on a goodnight still. but i also think this sport has taken its toll and to continue to roll the dice could end the story in a very sad way. chris is already set to be crippled from pain by the time hes 50. growing old is really hard when you have the track record of issues chris has had and he only keeps adding to it.

'0 quit' is false. He quit against Mousasi and admitted verbal tapout against Uriah Hall.

This is up to his medical team / physician in charge to administer the appropriate analgesics for that injury.
There's morphine (intra muscular / or IV) but I'd say he is for sure past that point. Strong tablet analgesia would be prescribed and all he'd have to do is call his doctor and i'm sure his doctor would come running.

Post orthopedic surgery pain management is nothing new, there's standard oral or IM or IV analgesia for that.
Been there and done that myself, more than once.

I have to say....immediately following a dramatic bone-breaking accident.... Nitrous Oxide (inhaled) is really very very effective as a 1st response. - That shit works, trust me. It works well enough to calm you down and get you to the hospital and get Intra-venous morphine from a trauma physician. Paramedics generally are not allowed to administer IV morphine. Probably varies by country though.

Well Chris certainly got a taste of it.

Of his own medicine I mean.

'0 quit' is false. He quit against Mousasi and admitted verbal tapout against Uriah Hall.
You’re suggesting he quit against hall? Don’t be that guy.....

Last edited:

i think thats why i mentioned it. because i don't know he doesn't. i don't know how hes managing all the injuries and the nerve issues, pain flare ups, off days that come with it. it would be incredibly exhausting just to warm up and do the physical therapy side of things. but hes a grinder and sometimes when you do that your whole life when you get hurt it still carries you very far and you basically run on auto pilot through the pain most days.
If you get blasted in the head and can't think right i dont consider that quitting. i have seen the toughest people turned to babies from head trauma. but he was def a bitch for verbally tapping to hall.

Well Chris certainly got a taste of it.

Of his own medicine I mean.
I guess so. But....both times it was a accident. It's fighting. 1st time the other guy snapped his leg, this time it was Chris.
I have only sympathy for anyone who that happens to. It's enough to have to deal with the physical pain and mental issues without a bunch of people 'piling on' and saying "karma". I just wish him well and hope that he, in time, reconsiders his desire to keep fighting.

You are simply guessing.
Statistically/medically Weidmans injury is worse. Your bull shit logic is that it's a brain injury so you never know. By that logic you could chop every limb off and claim Askren's brain damage from the KO was worse. People fall off bikes and get similar damage to Askren. You're simply simple.

I guess so. But....both times it was a accident. It's fighting. 1st time the other guy snapped his leg, this time it was Chris.
I have only sympathy for anyone who that happens to. It's enough to have to deal with the physical pain and mental issues without a bunch of people 'piling on' and saying "karma". I just wish him well and hope that he, in time, reconsiders his desire to keep fighting.

According to him it wasn't an accident, it was planned from a technique him and his derranged coach created called "The destruction". He was extremely proud of it.

Now that someone did that technique on him it was a 'terrible accident' and he can't stop crying from the tragic pain of that injury and we're all supposed to be sad for him.

But nobody can say karma. Funny how some people get special priveleges in life.

That interview was a brutal listen.

It's amazing how positive Weidman can stay, with all he's been through. I think only Overeem and Bisping can rival him, when it comes to staying undeterred through ridiculous adversity. The level of pain he was describing sounds unimaginable.

I think that step he took and the fact that the bone shot through the calf muscle and out the skin was a big part of it. If you look at Tyrone Spong's leg break, he catches himself a bit more than Weidman did and doesn't take such a strong first step. He has a very different reaction to it.

That interview was a brutal listen.

It's amazing how positive Weidman can stay, with all he's been through. I think only Overeem and Bisping can rival him, when it comes to staying undeterred through ridiculous adversity. The level of pain he was describing sounds unimaginable.

I think that step he took and the fact that the bone shot through the calf muscle and out the skin was a big part of it. If you look at Tyrone Spong's leg break, he catches himself a bit more than Weidman did and doesn't take such a strong first step. He has a very different reaction to it.

They both had very different reactions than Weidman, both as the giver and receiver. Didn't they?

According to him it wasn't an accident, it was planned from a technique him and his derranged coach created called "The destruction". He was extremely proud of it.

Now that someone did that technique on him it was a 'terrible accident' and he can't stop crying from the tragic pain of that injury and we're all supposed to be sad for him.

But nobody can say karma. Funny how some people get special priveleges in life.

I don't know if you know this, but you don't have to be this person. It's Saturday, there are a lot of positive things that you can choose to go and do with your day. Hopefully you can manage to break this pattern of thinking.

I’ve been knocked out and I’ve had a nasty bone break. I’ll take the ko twice over the bone break.

I got one question for Weidman on his pain medication. How does that medicine taste: Your-Own-Flavored?

No I kid, that was not the question or premise of this thread. Lets get into it. Weidman said that out of the many surgeries he's had(bragging about 23 or whatever number he was bragging(when he's not busy bragging about snapping legs that aren't his own with checks)) and that this leg breakage is worse than anything he's ever felt and that he's been crying uncontrollably from sheer pain.

It makes me wonder, is there a worse painful injury than this in MMA? I've heard horror stories from severely dislocated shoulders too, or a skull fracture like Cyborg had.

Muscle tears are very painful. I broke my hand twice from punching someone both times and those were not as bad as torn muscle. I have had charlie horses the size of a golf ball that were probably the most intense pain I ever felt...hehe had one at an aid station in a marathon and this lady freaked out, she thought it was bone trying to poke thru the skin but a massage guy happened to be there and he packed ice on it and got me back in the race...finished those last 5 miles in fear it would return.....

Back