Chris Weidman vs Jon Jones/Gus?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Danwardo, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Danwardo

Danwardo White Belt

Firstly, this is not an anti Jones/Gus post. Thought both showed amazing heart and skill on Saturday.

Was, just wondering, what you think about Chris Weidman's chance against either of those two. I have read that he wanted to be a last minute replacement to fight Jones. His reach is 79 inches, apparently he also beat Phil Davis in wrestling (not 100% sure), so his wrestling is a good standard, and he is a big middleweight too.

2. ROAR**

ROAR** Orange Belt

We need roses Chris in a full five rounder, but based on skillset he would be more than competitive with either of them. I think Jones would pick him apart though (teeps, kicks)

inb4 "Jones hellbows rd 1" and "Great White Hope" (

3. Sivo The Ram

Sivo The Ram Black Belt

chris is a mw for a reason. jones/gus would use their size and reach to their advantage and tag chris up good. his only hope would be to take it to the ground and get a sub, but that'd be hard to do

4. onvoqc

onvoqc Green Belt

After Jones v Gustaffson .. and after what we saw Weidman do to Silva .. It's not crazy to think Weidman has what it takes to beat Jones.

5. OutLaw187

OutLaw187 Yellow Belt

I think it would be competitive. Chris is a beast!

6. Got GOAT

Got GOAT Banned Banned

Weidman does have some pretty long arms. He's supposedly 6'2 (looks more like 6'2.5 or close to 6'3) and has a 78" reach (which could be longer). Weidman, as you said, also has great wrestling offensively and defensively. He's never been taken down in the UFC 'yet', so he still has his 100% TDD stat to be proud of. Against Jones that could definitely change though. Jones that 100% TDD too after fighting some of the best wrestlers in the sport until Gus took him down for the first time in his entire MMA career (not just in the UFC, he'd literally never been taken down before at all).

Weidman has heavy hands, decent boxing and footwork, and a great grappling game. He's dangerous everywhere. I think Weidman, Alex Gustafsson and Anderson Silva are the 3 guys with the best chance of not just beating but finishing Jones. Glover could have a decent shot too but I put him after these guys, except maybe Anderson since Glover's wrestling is pretty good and he has a great grappling game himself.

7. OmegaRugal

OmegaRugal Red Belt

Because you can envision Jones and Gus to clown around ... have both feet flat and knees bent back right with both hands down ... right?

8. maksy

maksy Black Belt

Jones and Gus beat him

9. cumafish

cumafish Silver Belt

I don't think Chris would have been able to withstand the damage that both of the guys inflicted on each other. The way these 2 LHW's shucked off each others TD's makes it unlikely that CW would be able to get it to the ground where he "might" have a chance.
    I would pick either fighter to stop Chris in round 3.

10. Got GOAT

Got GOAT Banned Banned

IMO the biggest deciding factor would be the shape Chris would be in coming into a fight with Alex or Jon. If he gets boxed up (or kickboxed up) then it'll only zap it more (obviously). Weidman's cardio is still a question mark for sure. We know he's good for at least 2-3 rounds but with a very high pace and pressure from either Alex or Jon, I think he'd fade unless he really made a point of working on it in his camp. So yeah, cardio would be the big question for him. Aside from that, he has the skills to beat either of them, he's dangerous everywhere. I actually think that Gustafsson would be a tougher match-up for him than Jones would be. Gustafsson would be able to eat Weidman's punches and return fire while possibly stuffing his takedowns and outworking him.

11. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

Weidman would be competitive for a bit but he size difference would catch up eventually as the fight wears on.