News Chris Weidman reveals 'bones aren't healing' correctly in leg, another surgery required

Really sad news. I hope with this second surgery Weidman is able to make a full recovery. There's nothing as shitty as a freak injury even if you caused one like it before. I also hope Conor's bones don't heal properly and he spends the rest of his life with a limp.

This sucks. I had a bad leg break, but obviously not as bad, and they put plates and screws in. I had to wait for the swelling to go down for one surgery. It sucked. I suspected he might have problems when he started putting weight on it so quickly. The plates hurt, and tear soft tissue, and try to poke through skin, along with screws. It took a long time to heal. I don't see how a combat sport athlete could compete with plates and screws in. If someone had kicked my leg with the plates in, I would have not enjoyed that, and it probably would have cut my skin. I can't imagine having a fucking rod put in my bone, after having a hole drilled out. I hope the Weedman heals up ok, but I don't want to see him fight again. Take it easy, The Chris.

Chris Weidman has experienced a setback in the recover from his catastrophic leg injury.

Weidman (15-6 MMA, 11-6 UFC) infamously suffered a nasty broken leg in his UFC 261 fight with Uriah Hall in April. Previous updated indicated his rehabilitation was going smoothly, but now he’s discovered that’s not the case.

The former UFC middleweight champion Weidman revealed on Wednesday that the bones in his leg are not healing properly, and he must undergo a follow up surgery to correct the issues.

“I’m actually getting another surgery – I just found out,” Weidman told “MMA Today” on SiriusXM. “I’m getting another surgery most likely on Aug. 11. They’re going to have to plate the fibula bone because it’s considered a non-union, so the bones aren’t healing the way it’s supposed too, which kind of sucks.

“I did expect setbacks and issues with this type of traumatic injury, and I’ve been through a lot.”

Weidman did not comment on what his timeline for a return to fighting may look like, but it appears there’s a lot of grueling recovery still ahead for the 37-year-old.

He’s not beating himself up over the situation, though. Weidman said his next surgery will be the 25th of his life, so he’s familiar with the process. This injury is seemingly more complicated than anything he’s endured previously, but Weidman is still keeping a positive mindset as he takes his next step.

“At the end of the day, I guess my mindset is: I’m just a positive person to begin with,” Weidman said. “Not that I don’t have moments of negativity and laziness and lack of motivation, but I’m usually a glass half full type of person. I think that helps. If I ever feel bad for myself, it’s very easy to look at someone else who has it worse and realize you have nothing to complain about it and you shouldn’t feel sorry for yourself.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...recovery-broken-leg-setback-surgery-scheduled

This sucks!

he is not my favorite fighter, but he is a good guy and even though it is part and parcel with the sport, I don't like to see guys hurt like that.

I hope the new surgery helps and he has a speedier recovery...

...but I don't think he should plan a return...

Anderson fought the future HW champ Cormier a mere 2 years after snapping his leg in half.

GOAT shit.
<{RoseRun}>

Yup, he fought Nick Diaz, Daniel Cormier, a surging and who would become champ late in his career Michael Bisping and then Israel Adesanya. Oh yea he boxed JCC Jr. too

Those names alone barring injury is impressive. When you realize the guy snapped his leg in half at the age of 38, almost 39 and still went on to fight the aforementioned is remarkable. Truly on MMA's Mount Rushmore.

25 surgeries? Wow, I can't imagine dealing with all that pain and recovery time, especially being in such a physically demanding field already. Hope he heals up after this procedure and gets healthy again.

Wish him the best but not surptised

He's also an anti-vaxxer that values esoteric health tips over actual science
Man, Im kinda sad to hear that.

Like you said, it likely diminished his chance of deferring to experts or science which will have consequences in this circumstance.
His choice I suppose.

Regardless its time for him to consider something other than fighting at this point

The Chris, way to tough for his own good. Hopefully this works out for him. He needs to retire.

I hope he’s ok and I never want to see him fight ever again , solely for his long term health.
Dude just stay off your feet for a few months

But seriously though he should have been off his feet at least 6 weeks. At least. He could have done a lot of abs?

This is what I said on July 2nd after I saw his x-rays :
That's essentially what is called non-union.
It is now almost 10weeks after his tibia / fibula open leg fracture.
His fibula was not fixed by internal fixation (choice by his orthopedic surgeon). They could have used pins and a plate to establish fibula internal fixation. But...I'm not his surgeon. It honestly doesn't look good after 10weeks. Mal-union or non-union.
So.... I just listened to his thing where he's talking to Miesha Tate and he said "basically I have a non-union of the fibula, needs plates on it".

so i was basically right a few weeks ago. I remember thinking there's just no way that fibula will fix as the two ends of it were nowhere near aligned. And...that's what's happened. they're gonna align it properly, plate it, and hopefully it'll fix.

NINTCHDBPICT000650005248.jpg

Tibial reduction was good, but they fixed his Syndesmotic joint with screws across which is old technology and didn't initially reduce and fix the fibula forming a non union. Even looking at his radiographic images would show the bone gapping was severe. Super odd

that X-ray is so bad from an imaging quality standpoint. It’s not a lateral view and not a good AP projection.
who the fuck takes these amateur films and sends them.

But seriously though he should have been off his feet at least 6 weeks. At least. He could have done a lot of abs?

He was actually on his feet a couple days after the surgery. He was following the physical therapist's instructions.

He was actually on his feet a couple days after the surgery. He was following the physical therapist's instructions.
Well ok then. Seems odd. I broke my leg and my foot was off the ground for over a month, and then it was still “too soon” and I had a limp for a while.

Back